And one more Schmelke with Kielwood and Curly Maple

poolfool1957

I know the pieces fit
Silver Member
This one turned out great!
I like a 29 inch butt and a 30 inch shaft with a long, almost straight taper between 17-19 inches.
Another one that the rules were, keep it simple and let the wood do the talking
244408486_4467980083248867_375540899350480947_n.jpg
244129418_4467981149915427_7737147813882853035_n.jpg
244468226_4467980766582132_3045803800548388627_n.jpg

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
very kool stuff
, i sent some pretty figured ph to them for some sneakies, ill post them when i get em in a few weeks
should be purdy

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Nice, what type of cue did you shoot with prior to that?

I'm asking because I generally don't like new wood shafts (that's why I stick to older cues) but I've heard (and read) that Kielwood has the same properties as older wood when viewed under a microscope and was wondering if they hit like old wood.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm asking because I generally don't like new wood shafts (that's why I stick to older cues) but I've heard (and read) that Kielwood has the same properties as older wood when viewed under a microscope and was wondering if they hit like old wood.
Not so much old wood as 'cooked' wood. They basically cook the sugars out of the wood. Stabilizes it. Makes it far less likely to change due to temp/humid. changes. They do play ok but i thought the one tried(prather blank) was pretty light. Sound kinda funny but you'd get used to it pretty quik i guess.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well I enjoyed the Utube posted above, it answered the big questions.

Buy I am sure the guy shooting with the super shaft would still shoot well with old school Maple.

poolfool1957

I know the pieces fit
Silver Member

I tried a lot of the CF shafts. I liked the Jacoby Black's taper and the Pechauer Rouge's hit but I didn't really love anything CF. Obviously a personal preference.
My current shooter is a newsheriff cue with 2 kielwood shafts. I bought it to put in my display because I liked my Schmelke ebony and goncolo sneaky with a 30 inch kielwood shaft as my shooting cue.
I gave the newsheriff cue a trial run in a tourney and it's been my shooter ever since.
If you want to get into kielwood at a lower dollar amount to see if you like it, contact David Schmelke and have him build you a sneaky with a kielwood shaft with the long taper, a 12.4mm tip and a Tomahawk ferrule.
I'm guessing you'll be around the $300-$375 range with one shaft depending on what woods are used and what tip you go with.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried a lot of the CF shafts. I liked the Jacoby Black's taper and the Pechauer Rouge's hit but I didn't really love anything CF. Obviously a personal preference.
My current shooter is a newsheriff cue with 2 kielwood shafts. I bought it to put in my display because I liked my Schmelke ebony and goncolo sneaky with a 30 inch kielwood shaft as my shooting cue.
I gave the newsheriff cue a trial run in a tourney and it's been my shooter ever since.
If you want to get into kielwood at a lower dollar amount to see if you like it, contact David Schmelke and have him build you a sneaky with a kielwood shaft with the long taper, a 12.4mm tip and a Tomahawk ferrule.
I'm guessing you'll be around the $300-$375 range with one shaft depending on what woods are used and what tip you go with.

Thanks for the info. I have a CueSmith so would just buy blanks. Cost isn't the issue, I don't play competitive pool anymore so have zero desire to improve my game/equipment but I will eventually build at least one Kielwood shaft to see if I like it.