Another 9-ball rack Variation to solve pattern results

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
A week ago I posted this thread https://forums.azbilliards.com/thre...ck-solves-pattern-layout.532891/#post-7003058

and someone in it mentioned racking this way.
IMG_0148.jpg
So I thought I'd give it a try.
Just to see what happened.

The 5 ball in the picture is on the spot. The one thing I didn't pay enough attention to I'll clear up today or tomorrow and that is the amount of balls that go past the side pocket on the break. I know for a fact that I was getting them past it but not in mass. I'll post the other pictures of the results through out the thread.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I made the 1 on the break it went as a cross corner bank shot from the break if I remember correctly. I'll post the other breaks
as people comment.

IMG_0149.jpg

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was the one that wanted to try this rack hehe, but with the 1 in the normal front position so you can still hit a legal 9 ball break. It was after someone posted the other rack would have been a foul because the 1 was not hit first. Funny enough I keep forgetting to try it myself.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Robin,

Try racking a traditional 9-ball rack and then scoot it back from the spot exactly 2 1/4".

That is a great suggestion. Next time I go to the room that's exactly what I'm going to do. Makes a lot of sense. I like it.
Thanks.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Robin,

Coincidentally, I was just looking in another old thread that had been linked to recently from elsewhere, where you mentioned your books.

They look well rated so I'm going to buy! Would you recommend going in order (vol 1 - 3) or can I start where I like?

The books, for anyone else interested: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Acquiring+Excellence+in+Pool&i=stripbooks-intl-ship&ref=nb_sb_noss

Thanks

If its your shot making that need work go with 1 most definitely and give it some time to sink in. I think you'll be glad you did.

Let me know if you need anything.

Reactions: Pin

cue4me

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After re-reading the original post, I thought it best to reply in this one. Were there any problems with racking the traditional way and putting the 9-ball on the spot?

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
After re-reading the original post, I thought it best to reply in this one. Were there any problems with racking the traditional way and putting the 9-ball on the spot?

Traditional 9-ball rack has become a break contest. You make a ball and lay out the pattern then string racks.
It's very predictable. There are some that think its too predictable.

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
If its your shot making that need work go with 1 most definitely and give it some time to sink in. I think you'll be glad you did.

Let me know if you need anything.
I was thinking cue ball control first

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I was thinking cue ball control first

That is a very good book imo and its has great reviews. If you're good on the shot making definitely. I've constructed the different cue control skills so that they relate to one another and to my knowledge no one else has ever done that.

Reactions: Pin

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Using the magic rack made this side rack trivial to setup. Break was not too much different than a standard 9 ball one, and seemed to open up easier. The 9 moved a lot with this rack. The guy I was playing with was really interested in seeing this setup.

IMG_20210720_203513200.jpg

IMG_20210720_203559367.jpg

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
That is a very good book imo and its has great reviews. If you're good on the shot making definitely. I've constructed the different cue control skills so that they relate to one another and to my knowledge no one else has ever done that.
Good on shotmaking is all relative, isn't it? 😆

I'll start with cue ball control then, thanks.