Another Kamui chalk...

TwoRailDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried the Roku because it was supposedly clean. It is not. Hopefully this new Kamui Kageki chalk for "extreme shots" and super grip doesn't make our public tables even more of a mess. Before Kamui chalk, it was hard to find a table that felt gunky. Now not so much.

I think creamy, gunky chalk should be considered bad etiquette...just like how everyone knows not to put their drinks on the table. What do you guys think...not a big deal?

Last edited:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no problem and I use it on my home table every day. The Issue is over application. I brush it on once in between each game. If your put it on like your painting a room after each shot your probably going to make a mess

Nyquil

I tried the Roku because it was supposedly clean. It is not. Hopefully this new Kamui Kageki chalk for "extreme shots" and super grip doesn't make our public tables even more of a mess. Before Kamui chalk, it was hard to find a table that felt gunky. Now not so much.

I think creamy, gunky chalk should be considered bad etiquette...just like how everyone knows not to put their drinks on the table. What do you guys think...not a big deal?
I hate their chalk. It's so messy.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think we are in a new era of chalk. Nothing that will make your game better. But just maybe a little better coverage on your tip. Just a couple more shots before you accidentally find that bald spot. Just a little less mess on your felt and hands. And maybe a little less chance for a skid. I do think Taom is better than Master in that regard. I think Kamui tried to be that out the gate and got exposed as missing the mark. So right now I just assume Kamui is following the pack and giving their best effort to meet the state of the industry. Too soon to judge.

TwoRailDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My experience with Roku/g2/great white was that they made my wooden shaft sticky. Lightly chalked once or twice a rack. Going back to gritty chalk solved the problem. Maybe it doesn't mark the cue ball as much as older kamui, but what little spot it does put on there is sticky mess. I tried to remove some creamy chalk off of a friends tip to do some maintenance...no way that stuff is easy to get out of cloth. Taom pyro actually doesn't seem too bad.

Last edited:

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally, my favorite is Kamui .98 and you are welcome to use it on my home table...but don't over use it. Many players who started using Kamui and other designer chalks did not change their method of chalking. Some players use chalking as part of a pre-shot routine, such as Hennessee who chalks 10 to 15 times between shots.

No. 1 Pool Fan

I recently bought and tried Taom Pyro after having only ever used Master chalk. Grip/shot-wise, I can't tell a difference at all. However, it doesn't mark up the cue ball as much as playing with Master (if you even care about that which, honestly, I don't because it's not like the occasional skid is what's keeping me from being a better player). At first, I did't like the Taom chalk because I could see light blue streaks all over my home table until I realized the Taom chalk requires (a) a much lighter touch when applying, and (b) you can get away with only chalking up between every few shots rather than every shot. That all begs the question, "Why did I spend $19.99 on a piece of chalk?" I don't have a good answer for that other than the fact that I guess I'm kind of a typical consumer added to the fact that I'm a major fan of the game.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Chalk is less important to one's game that what is going on between their ears.

I like Taom V10 because it is super clean. As a bonus a single piece should last over a year, even if you play 30 hours a week. Taom is round and will roll, so just like prison rules, don't drop the soap chalk. 😁

Grimper

Roku-6 is one of the cleanest chalks out there, right behind Taom Pyro and V10. Not sure how you're getting it to be "messy".

TwoRailDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Roku-6 is one of the cleanest chalks out there, right behind Taom Pyro and V10. Not sure how you're getting it to be "messy".
I think people who consider roku to be clean think of messiness in terms of volume. They may see less visual chalk on their hands and less on the cue ball and consider it to be "clean." Masters, Blue Diamond and Magic Chalk can be brushed and vacuumed up. If it sticks to your tip so well that you don't have to reapply, it will similarly stick to the table. It is creamy. It will stay on the table and continue to get on the balls, our hands, and our cues.

TwoRailDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use Master. I can find no reason to change
I don't believe Tweeten sponsors SVB and he uses Masters. When I see high level games in the Philippines on youtube, I see them using masters and triangle. Maybe it's because with the humidity, it makes their shaft sticky like I experienced. Or maybe like many of us, they just like it better.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
I use Master. I can find no reason to change
The only reason for my switch was cleanliness.
My table looked filthy after two days of practice with all of the common blue chalks.
After two weeks of playing with V10, the table is still clean and does not require the vac.
I still use masters and triangle when I go out.

Jack Fate

My experience with Roku/g2/great white was that they made my wooden shaft sticky. Lightly chalked once or twice a rack. Going back to gritty chalk solved the problem. Maybe it doesn't mark the cue ball as much as older kamui, but what little spot it does put on there is sticky mess. I tried to remove some creamy chalk off of a friends tip to do some maintenance...no way that stuff is easy to get out of cloth. Taom pyro actually doesn't seem too bad.
Interesting perspective on making shaft sticky, now you got me wondering if this is a factor that I’m experiencing. It’s not like the whole shaft is sticky just spots of it. ( V -10)

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Roku 6 cleanliness/performance experience is much closer to Pyro than Master. I still get some chalk dust fallout with R6 but it’s nowhere as tacky/gritty and doesn’t adhere to literally everything like Master. R6 is very good chalk but I’ll continue with Taom.