Another Revo silencer pad question/juma pad

barryr

Registered
A man at the local pool hall has a Revo black vault. So his silencer pad was coming off but was far too hard to return the shaft to predator for warranty from Australia in the current covid climate (postage is already ridiculously slow). So he asked me to fit a new tip and in the absence of genuine predator silencer pad I made one from canvas phenolic , very thin , then put a juma pad on before installing the soft kamui tip he provided. He loved the hit but it popped off after a few days when playing a stop shot the other night at the point where the phenolic met the vault pad. Would there be a problem just gluing the juma to the vault pad without the silencer, should I just use a red/brown traditional fiber pad ? I'm using loctite professional super glue and it was given plenty of drying/curing time before trimming on the lathe.
Secondly, when preparing the vault pad I faced it off at 1,000 rpm leaving it very smooth, would I have been better off facing it off slower for a slightly rougher finish to the vault or sanding lightly with some 240 grit to rough it up ?
I don't get a lot of Revos to work on as I generally work on snooker cues with different ferrule material and wood at the end to glue to.
Cheers, Barry

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A man at the local pool hall has a Revo black vault. So his silencer pad was coming off but was far too hard to return the shaft to predator for warranty from Australia in the current covid climate (postage is already ridiculously slow). So he asked me to fit a new tip and in the absence of genuine predator silencer pad I made one from canvas phenolic , very thin , then put a juma pad on before installing the soft kamui tip he provided. He loved the hit but it popped off after a few days when playing a stop shot the other night at the point where the phenolic met the vault pad. Would there be a problem just gluing the juma to the vault pad without the silencer, should I just use a red/brown traditional fiber pad ? I'm using loctite professional super glue and it was given plenty of drying/curing time before trimming on the lathe.
Secondly, when preparing the vault pad I faced it off at 1,000 rpm leaving it very smooth, would I have been better off facing it off slower for a slightly rougher finish to the vault or sanding lightly with some 240 grit to rough it up ?
I don't get a lot of Revos to work on as I generally work on snooker cues with different ferrule material and wood at the end to glue to.
Cheers, Barry
Hi Barry
I do not speak for Predator
But,
Protect the vault the best you can so use the red fiber until you can get some silencer pads. They are available to everyone now. Whether you work on one Revo or 20, get the authorised parts.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Hi Barry
I do not speak for Predator
But,
Protect the vault the best you can so use the red fiber until you can get some silencer pads. They are available to everyone now. Whether you work on one Revo or 20, get the authorised parts.
Mike, where are they available? I don't see them on their site.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seriously ? wicked, I wonder if Elforyn have them, they sell Atlas stuff and are easier to deal with
It certainly wouldn't hurt to ask them if they stock it or could they based on your area. I can tell you I got mine from Predator but I would have got them from Atlas if they had them at the time. Atlas is easier for me. Predator was tough action thru this Covig thing. Sales department has to many chefs stiring the stew.

barryr

Registered
It certainly wouldn't hurt to ask them if they stock it or could they based on your area. I can tell you I got mine from Predator but I would have got them from Atlas if they had them at the time. Atlas is easier for me. Predator was tough action thru this Covig thing. Sales department has to many chefs stiring the stew.
Just checked, Elforyn dont have them listed but I will email them, Atlas tend to charge through the roof for s/h.

barryr

Registered
By the way , any hints or tips on glueing to the vault, I was very surprised when told the loctite pro had let go and a few lads here have had the original silencer pad come off.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By the way , any hints or tips on glueing to the vault, I was very surprised when told the loctite pro had let go and a few lads here have had the original silencer pad come off.
Loctite gel and Dap rapid fuse work very well.
For your source for silencer pads in Australia. Contact Cue World in Austrailia. They are a Predator dealer. See if they can add them to thier inventory for you and others who do Cue Repair there.

barryr

Registered
Loctite gel and Dap rapid fuse work very well.
For your source for silencer pads in Australia. Contact Cue World in Austrailia. They are a Predator dealer. See if they can add them to thier inventory for you and others who do Cue Repair there.
Thankyou Michael, much appreciated. I see for tips to silencer Predator are recommending 3M DP420 or 460 but I cant find it here at my normal places will have to look further and the price seems ridiculous, West Sytems G5 is another recommended by them altho I'm not a huge fan of 5min epoxys.
I have loctite gel in the fridge and will look in to Dap rapid fuse now as well. Thanks again

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Hi Dave
You could just Predator for them or you can also get them from Atlas. They are listed on thier web site now.
Thanks Mike... right now they are listed as out of stock, but I'll keep an eye out for them now. Have not had to replace one yet, and have done about 50 or so tip on revos so far

barryr

Registered
Just for interests sake this is from predator faq's

"What type of glue should be used for the tip replacement?
First preference is 3M’s DP420 or DP460. This epoxy had the strongest adhesiveness to the tip silencer during our testing. A second option is West system’s G5 glue. Other super glues had high failure right during our testing process."

Doesnt mention tip silencer to vault plate but I would hazard a guess that the same glues should be fine. I've personally ordered some Dap rapid from Ebay and some 3M DP460 from an Aussie supplier , I really gotta get over this glue collecting, before long the wife will probably be thinking I'm sniffing it or something !

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just for interests sake this is from predator faq's

"What type of glue should be used for the tip replacement?
First preference is 3M’s DP420 or DP460. This epoxy had the strongest adhesiveness to the tip silencer during our testing. A second option is West system’s G5 glue. Other super glues had high failure right during our testing process."

Doesnt mention tip silencer to vault plate but I would hazard a guess that the same glues should be fine. I've personally ordered some Dap rapid from Ebay and some 3M DP460 from an Aussie supplier , I really gotta get over this glue collecting, before long the wife will probably be thinking I'm sniffing it or something !
There must be something in the facing that you might be missing. The vault plate is quite hard so feel it while it's spinning to see if it feels flat or not.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For regular tip replacement where the silencer hasn't popped off, leave a little of the old tip behind to prolong the life of the silencer pad. Once the silencer pad gets down to about .010 in thickness, time to change it.

barryr

Registered
There must be something in the facing that you might be missing. The vault plate is quite hard so feel it while it's spinning to see if it feels flat or not.
It feels very flat I just wondered if I'm making it a bit too smooth facing it off at 1000 rpm, it does feel super flat and smooth after and putting a piece of hardened tool steel against it there's no gap or wobble. And yes, I would normally leave a tiny amount of the old tip but in this case the original silencer was already peeling off from the vault unfortunately.
Also the 3m DP 460 ended up having to buy a 12 pack and at $44 each ended being about $528 which is just not feasible. I'll look in to similar grade/style epoxies from other companies.
Thankyou for the pointers, they're much appreciated

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It feels very flat I just wondered if I'm making it a bit too smooth facing it off at 1000 rpm, it does feel super flat and smooth after and putting a piece of hardened tool steel against it there's no gap or wobble. And yes, I would normally leave a tiny amount of the old tip but in this case the original silencer was already peeling off from the vault unfortunately.
Also the 3m DP 460 ended up having to buy a 12 pack and at $44 each ended being about $528 which is just not feasible. I'll look in to similar grade/style epoxies from other companies.
Thankyou for the pointers, they're much appreciated
Hi Barry
I Don't think you have need to buy that 3m. That's rediculous money.
Try this;
After you face, turn it by hand holding a piece of 180 grit against it. Then blow it off and wipe it with a paper towel.
Put the loctite on the silencer pad. Use a tooth pick to spread it around. Then install it.
Btw
You are bringing your tailstock forward with a live concave center to hold it securely without wiggle, CORRECT?

Last edited: