Another work trip, Wayne NJ, where to go?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Closest place looks to be Shooters, anyone from the area know of any weekly tournaments? Edison is a bit over an hour drive, where Sandcastle is, but I am not going to drive that far.

Steinway is about 45 mins away but I think their parking is a mess and I really don't want to park in some garage for $50 or drive for an hour looking for a place on the street where my car can get broken into.

classicjay17

Registered
Closest place looks to be Shooters, anyone from the area know of any weekly tournaments? Edison is a bit over an hour drive, where Sandcastle is, but I am not going to drive that far.

Steinway is about 45 mins away but I think their parking is a mess and I really don't want to park in some garage for $50 or drive for an hour looking for a place on the street where my car can get broken into.
Shooters has a weekly Friday Night handicapped tournament, that’s the only tourney night for them.

Rockaway Billiards is “supposed” to have a Thursday night handicapped 9 ball tournament though they did not have enough to run the tourney last week.

Sandcastle which you mentioned is too far has a
Monday night tourney, I believe race to 3
9 ball. That’s about it for northern NJ at this time.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Maybe take in a mob burial ground or a toxic waste dump. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: bbb

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
there is or was rooms in clifton and lodi. both nowadays if you want action call ahead and state what you want to play for and the time you are coming in and usually they will call someone in to play.
sounds like you are a smaller stakes player so it will be easy to find someone where you can match up close.

Roscoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There used to be a small sports bar on route 46 in Parsippany. I used to live in Fairfield but moved in 2015. Should still be there. They have 8 Gold Crowns, bar and food. Gets a bit noisy at night but the tables are kept up. They also have one 3 cushion table. It's called Q-Time and across the street from the Porsche dealership on 46.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Google says its closed.
There used to be a small sports bar on route 46 in Parsippany. I used to live in Fairfield but moved in 2015. Should still be there. They have 8 Gold Crowns, bar and food. Gets a bit noisy at night but the tables are kept up. They also have one 3 cushion table. It's called Q-Time and across the street from the Porsche dealership on 46.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member

Most people park in a safer area then take the train to Steinway.

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Maybe Castle billiards in East Rutherford, don't know if they have weekly tournaments. 20 min. away

classicjay17

Registered
There are no weekly tournaments I’m aware of at Breaker Billiards, Clifton Billiards, or Castle Billiards. Of the three, Castle is the nicest to go and practice, nice tables bar food and full bar/liquor.

I will also say this about Shooters in Wayne…If going there just to hit balls the first table is nice with tight pockets, newer rails and predator cloth. I believe there’s one other table that has newer rails and predator cloth and plays ok…but all their tables are older Brunswick Medalists, and other than the tight one up front all have 5” corner pockets and dead rails.

Additionally they wax the balls so much that they react unnaturally…every APA 3 in the house can draw the cue ball 9’ the way the balls react. For those reasons I often don’t even go there when they’re hosting a big tournament…just FYI.

Last edited:

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are no weekly tournaments I’m aware of at Breaker Billiards, Clifton Billiards, or Castle Billiards. Of the three, Castle is the nicest to go and practice, nice tables bar food and full bar/liquor.

I will also say this about Shooters in Wayne…If going there just to hit balls the first table is nice with tight pockets, newer rails and predator cloth. I believe there’s one other table that has newer rails and predator cloth and plays ok…but all their tables are older Brunswick Medalists, and other than the tight one up front all have 5” corner pockets and dead rails.

Additionally they wax the balls so much that they react unnaturally…every APA 3 in the house can draw the cue ball 9’ the way the balls react. For those reasons I often don’t even go there when they’re hosting a big tournament…just FYI.
That first table at shooters is tight and plays well but there’s a bit of interference with something by the wall.
I quit going to Clifton after they turned the tight table into a bucket. Same thing with Castle, they ruined their only 1P table, nice room though. Lodi is a complete dump.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Shooters has a weekly Friday Night handicapped tournament, that’s the only tourney night for them.

Rockaway Billiards is “supposed” to have a Thursday night handicapped 9 ball tournament though they did not have enough to run the tourney last week.

Sandcastle which you mentioned is too far has a
Monday night tourney, I believe race to 3
9 ball. That’s about it for northern NJ at this time.

Thanks, I missed seeing this Friday so no tournament for me this trip. I may drive down to Castle billiards.

Played in Breaker Billiards when I got to the area Thursday, was not a bad place, decent equipment but was a bit annoying with the music selection the kids there were playing LOL

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want to go on an adventure, Black Diamond Billiards in Union has half Blue label Diamonds and half GC5.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want to go on an adventure, Black Diamond Billiards in Union has half Blue label Diamonds and half GC5.

This place was not bad, most tables could use new cloth, when I was there the music the customers picked was horrible. Guy that worked there said the place usually has more players there, but they were at the TAP tournament. Not too bad overall.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Next time you're in the area... let me know. Shooters is where you want to go... then we'll hit up Villa Verde for some Portuguese Paiella and some chops...

Joe

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Next time you're in the area... let me know. Shooters is where you want to go... then we'll hit up Villa Verde for some Portuguese Paiella and some chops...

Joe
I’ll try and remember that. I usually get to Morristown 3-4 times a year.

I’ve been to shooters 2 or 3 times. Got some 1P action once.

I normally just drive to Sandcastle

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Joe

Nothing planned in the area for a while for work, next up is Tennessee end of Jan then Alabama, South Carolina, maybe Florida.