Ant calif players: California pool players tour

Meezer Girl

not now, I'm eating !!!
Silver Member
There is a new tour in California that we need to support so it can grow.

www.calipoolplayerstour.com

Please check out their website to get all the info you need or call Vince "Paul" Bramwell 925-395-3838 or email him at cali_poolplayers_tour@yahoo.com

Check out the list of participants so far (Oscar, Ernesto, Max, etc)

The entry fee (based on Pro-A-B-C) is very reasonable and the format is very fair. There have been several tourneys in Northern Calif.

There will be a stop at College Billiards in San Diego next week end (Sept 18 & 19) where we have $1500 added. College is where "Swanee" held court when he was not out on the road. Not sure exactly when the room opened but some time in early-mid 60's. There are 12 original GCs and 1 Diamond that Mark Griffin brought in when he owned the room. The Diamond came from the Oct 2001 8 man invitational tourney that was held in the Los Angeles area.

Eric Crisp from Sugartree has donated a cue to be raffled at the end of this "season" (don't know if there are pix on the site or if the cue is completed) I believe you can purchase raffle tix through the site.

For players in San Diego County you can also sign up with me or at College Billiards

Thanks
Fran 619-871-0151 cell
fran@benchmarkfin.com

events are streamed

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont like to knock any effort in pool, but there are a few things they reconsider

one that popped out at me is there are only 4 levels of players(this is awalys been a problem for handicapping in any pool orgization) But only having 4 Pro, A, B, C is favoring the better players and having the entry fee be the same for B,C players is another problem. There will never be a C player-play twice. They have no shot, I did see some Jr and other lower entry fee's. Even a low to mid level B player paying 66% he entry fee as a A player is bad value. I sincerly applaude the effort here and I wish them the very best but I think that some things need to be honed or polished up to attract lower level players(there are alot more B players than A players, and more C players than B players)

I do understand how they are having the players cut up by their rating in the earily rounds, but it still looks like a bad bet for the weaker players to me, therefore the number of particapatints will be lower.

Having said all that, I dont have the solution, hell maybe this will work. Thats one of the biggest problems in pool is the handicapping systems, I havent seen one yet that works for everyone.

sincerly

eric

PS: I really do hope this works, I been a Ca player my whole life and we need pool on the west coast, considering the population we might be the worst region of America for pool. Again my best wishes of luck, Cool logo too!!!

Last edited:

Meezer Girl

not now, I'm eating !!!
Silver Member
we need to get something going in Calif

Hey FB - I respect your opinion on all things "pool". We definitely need to have a "tour" here in Calif with so many players of every level.

There is no "handicapping". The format is Sat the Pros & A's are playing on one board and the B's & C's are playing in a separate board - top 25% from each board are in the money & continue together on Sunday (I am pretty sure that when he sets up the Sunday board he puts the Pro/A's on top & B's/C's on bottom so they do eventually "mix it up".

How many times do we hear "there's nothing going on" only to have players not support something when it does come along ??? "If I don't have the nutz then I won't play":rolleyes:

How many times do we hear "if you want to get better you need to mix it up with the big dogs" - I think the $50 entry fee for B/C is very reasonable.

Hopefully there are enough players in Calif that JUST WANT TO COMPETE that this can be successful

Meeze (has more heart than brains :grin:)

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
If only I had known sooner I would have made plans to attend.

Couple questions...

How are the ratings determined? (for out of state players)
How much are the entry fees?

Don't be shy on the answer...either way...I have already linked the site and will be checking the future schedule....;)

Meezer Girl

not now, I'm eating !!!
Silver Member
info as I know it

Couple questions...

Don't be shy on the answer...either way...I have already linked the site and will be checking the future schedule....;)

entry Pro $100 A $75 B&C $50
as far as ratings I can only speak for San Diego. We have 2 popluar weekly tourneys where "everyone knows what everyone else is rated" so no one will be able to try & "fudge" their level.

I see you are in AZ - isn't their a "rating system" over there ?? I think he will be able to work with that.....please call or email him & he may already be aware of the AZ ratings then be able to let you know.

We are supposed to have another stop in November at On Cue Billiards which is also local to San Diego....they have not decided on a date.
I will post that up when it gets decided.

I am not part of the "staff" - just "helping out" to try & get it going here in Southern Calif :)

Poolplayer29

Registered
Fatboy:

It's funny that you start by saying you don't want to knock any effort in pool, but all you seem to be doing is knocking, then you ended by saying "you have no solution to offer"

First off you are mistaken in thinking that this is a handicapped tour, maybe you should take the time to check out the web site so you can understand the format.

The B/C level player all pay each other even, the Pro/A player all play each other even, the top 25% in each bracket makes it to Sunday where everyone of them gets at least twice their entry fee back.

Since I have not seen you at any of the events you would never know how competitive and fair it is to all the participants. it's attitudes like yours that we have to fight against, so players realize that they have to play better players at some point in order for them to make any significant improvement in their games

Each and everyone of the B/C players to a man that has participated in these events love it and can't wait for the next event because they don't feel over matched or overwhelmed in anyway. All you have to do is support the tour come out and participate and maybe just maybe you will find what those B/C players have found out. That this format works and it motivates the weaker players to work to get better, which is what its designed to do.

Not to depend on some crutch of a spot but to get better, and to feel like you are getting value for your money!

I dont like to knock any effort in pool, but there are a few things they reconsider

one that popped out at me is there are only 4 levels of players(this is awalys been a problem for handicapping in any pool orgization) But only having 4 Pro, A, B, C is favoring the better players and having the entry fee be the same for B,C players is another problem. There will never be a C player-play twice. They have no shot, I did see some Jr and other lower entry fee's. Even a low to mid level B player paying 66% he entry fee as a A player is bad value. I sincerly applaude the effort here and I wish them the very best but I think that some things need to be honed or polished up to attract lower level players(there are alot more B players than A players, and more C players than B players)

I do understand how they are having the players cut up by their rating in the earily rounds, but it still looks like a bad bet for the weaker players to me, therefore the number of particapatints will be lower.

Having said all that, I dont have the solution, hell maybe this will work. Thats one of the biggest problems in pool is the handicapping systems, I havent seen one yet that works for everyone.

sincerly

eric

PS: I really do hope this works, I been a Ca player my whole life and we need pool on the west coast, considering the population we might be the worst region of America for pool. Again my best wishes of luck, Cool logo too!!!

Poolplayer29

Registered
Ken

We have a player rating page on the website, first you tell us where you think you rank based on that rating, then we will check with your room or with players that we know that knows you. If no verification is available to us then we put you in the A bracket, and if you do not cash after 3 events we move you to the B bracket until you play your way out via the points accumulation. It makes no difference what state you live in we evaluate your rating the same way

The reason we do this is so we don't wind up with any A players or above playing in the B bracket because there is no handicap, so we want people to earn a spot in the money round on Sunday

Couple questions...

Poolplayer29

Registered
Ken

We have a player rating page on the website, first you tell us where you think you rank based on that rating, then we will check with your room or with players that we know that knows you. If no verification is available to us then we put you in the A bracket, and if you do not cash after 3 events we move you to the B bracket until you play your way out via the points accumulation. It makes no difference what state you live in we evaluate your rating the same way. What is your rating based on the AZ rating system?

The reason we do this is so we don't wind up with any A players or above playing in the B bracket because there is no handicap, so we want people to earn a spot in the money round on Sunday

Couple questions...

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
We have a player rating page on the website, first you tell us where you think you rank based on that rating, then we will check with your room or with players that we know that knows you. If no verification is available to us then we put you in the A bracket, and if you do not cash after 3 events we move you to the B bracket until you play your way out via the points accumulation. It makes no difference what state you live in we evaluate your rating the same way

Nice...I will try and make plans for the November event if there is no conflict with a DCT event. Do you run the events?

There is a local Desert Classic Tour that has a similar handicapping...They graduate the entry fees by A B and C....I fall into the B catagory on the DCT, but I would have no problem being told I have to play as an A.....Pro may be a stretch...;)

I would suggest you contact Dennis...he posts from time to time as (Prince) he runs the tour here and it does pretty good. You guys may be able to work some things out and grow both tours....for at least the So Cal events.

College Billiards is only 4 1/2 hours away...

Meezer Girl

not now, I'm eating !!!
Silver Member
November Event

The November event at On Cue is scheduled for Nov 6 & 7 with $1000 added

On Cue Billiards
8308 Parkway Drive
La Mesa,CA
619-463-8759
Clyde is the new owner (was the Manager)

La Mesa is the next city east of San Diego and On Cue is just off of highway 8 & easy to find.

Falcon Eddie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Please check out their website to get all the info you need or call Vince "Paul" Bramwell 925-395-3838 or email him at cali_poolplayers_tour@yahoo.com

The entry fee (based on Pro-A-B-C) is very reasonable and the format is very fair. There have been several tourneys in Northern Calif.

There will be a stop at College Billiards in San Diego next week end (Sept 18 & 19) where we have $1500 added. College is where "Swanee" held court when he was not out on the road. Not sure exactly when the room opened but some time in early-mid 60's. There are 12 original GCs and 1 Diamond that Mark Griffin brought in when he owned the room. The Diamond came from the Oct 2001 8 man invitational tourney that was held in the Los Angeles area.

Eric Crisp from Sugartree has donated a cue to be raffled at the end of this "season" (don't know if there are pix on the site or if the cue is completed) I believe you can purchase raffle tix through the site.

For players in San Diego County you can also sign up with me or at College Billiards

Thanks
Fran 619-871-0151 cell
fran@benchmarkfin.com

events are streamed

Just my luck I will be in San Diego on the 28th. Guess I'll check out the room anyway.

Meezer Girl

not now, I'm eating !!!
Silver Member
motel

The Travel Time Motel 619-583-5447 is 1 block east of College Billiards & has secure parking - sorry but I don't know their rates.

Players need to be on site as close to 10:00am as possible so Vince can input the boards

:)

Meezer Girl

not now, I'm eating !!!
Silver Member

Thanks
Fran 619-871-0151 cell
fran@benchmarkfin.com

events are streamed

bump for Nov 6 & 7

On Cue Billiards $1000 added
8308 Parkway Dr
La Mesa, CA (adjacent to San Diego to the east)
619-463-8759

You can sign up on line www.calipoolplayerstour.com
or with Clyde at On Cue (he works nights)
or with me Fran 619-871-0151 cell

Last edited: