Any difference between Mezz EC9 & MSP cues?

RefrainReyes

Anything to consider or paying attention to when choosing between these 2 series? Differences construction wise etc? Quality? Or is it only aesthetics?

Thanx beforehand!

RefrainReyes

We could get in to construction methods and all of that. One is full spliced and the other isn't. But to cut to the chase, it will be a matter of personal preference. Mezz makes one he'll of a cue. Either one will serve you well.
Thanx. The reason Im a asking is Mezz mentioning the wood as butt inlays in the forearm (on the msp models)? Nowhere mentioning full splice?

Nyquil

Anything to consider or paying attention to when choosing between these 2 series? Differences construction wise etc? Quality? Or is it only aesthetics?

Thanx beforehand!
They both have the united joint which I really like. The lock up is top shelf. I don't think the butt's between the two are going to make much a difference imho. Looks like part of the MSP2 is composite. I have a EC9 limited and really like the way it plays. Both come with the Sigma shaft which has a true pro taper. A lot of the mezz shafts have an odd taper in between pro and conical. I would recommend if you play a lot on 9ft tables to splurge the extra few dollars for a 30 inch shaft. I would buy the one that is more appealing. Mezz makes really nice production cues.

RefrainReyes

They both have the united joint which I really like. The lock up is top shelf. I don't think the butt's between the two are going to make much a difference imho. Looks like part of the MSP2 is composite. I have a EC9 limited and really like the way it plays. Both come with the Sigma shaft which has a true pro taper. A lot of the mezz shafts have an odd taper in between pro and conical. I would recommend if you play a lot on 9ft tables to splurge the extra few dollars for a 30 inch shaft. I would buy the one that is more appealing. Mezz makes really nice production cues.
Thanx for advice on a 30”. Ill consider it!

RefrainReyes

You think a 30” shaft is a good idea for a 5’8” player?

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
You think a 30” shaft is a good idea for a 5’8” player?
Food for thought...

I picked up a unused 'used' 30" wx900, because I got a great deal and I thought the extra inch would have nothing but upsides. I was dead wrong and believe it or not, that extra inch threw me off more than you could imagine...lol. So much so that the shaft lived in my case unused for a long time before I finally gave it to my cue mechanic to experiment on.

He cut it down that 1 inch, retapered it, and of course changed the ferrule. I love that shaft now and play with it exclusively.

Moral of the story... Just because it sounds like a good idea, doesn't mean it is. ...so unless you enjoy experimenting with your equipment. I wouldn't bother with the 30" shaft. My difficulty with the 30" shaft was completely in my head I know.

crazy8legs

Registered
I'm 5'8 and have a 30" shaft and love the extra inch. I find it allows me to hit through the ball better, and the extra reach is an obvious upside too. The only downside that I've heard about, which I don't know if true, is that a 30" wood shaft may play more whippy than a 29" (not the case with CF).

Nyquil

I'm 5'8 and have a 30" shaft and love the extra inch. I find it allows me to hit through the ball better, and the extra reach is an obvious upside too. The only downside that I've heard about, which I don't know if true, is that a 30" wood shaft may play more whippy than a 29" (not the case with CF).
They definitely can be more whippy. CF can be also. My 30 inch revo was definitely more whippy than my 29. The sigma is not whippy at 30 inches however at least to me. To be honest it plays better than my revo for me.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have Jacoby Ultra shafts for my Schons in 29" and 30" and can not tell any difference in the hit of the two sizes what so ever. They do slightly change the cue ballance, and I do like on shots where there is room the ability to hang the tip of the cue out a little further from my bridge hand as for me, I feel I am more accurate.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of the 6 or so 30" shafts I tried, I only liked one of them. The others did weird stuff with spin and feel. A 30" butt with a 29" shaft was idea for me, get an extra inch of reach and balance, but no strange reactions off a longer shaft.