Any Issues Breaking With Vantage Shafts

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone experienced any issues breaking with a Vantage shaft?
I really don't have a monster break but apparently more than the 314-2 ferrule needs over time.

It appears that the 3 series (and Vantage) ferrule material is stronger plus the inclusion of the vault plate had to be for added strength.

I realize there are do's and don't here with Predator shafts but I do like the simplicity of breaking with my shooting cue so I figured I would ask if anyone happens to break with their Vantage.

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I would call Predator and see what they say. I talked to McDermott before I started breaking with my G-Core, when they told me that was the same shaft they put on their break cues that was good enough for me. As I compete on mainly 7' tables I felt it was a little ridiculous to use a break cue, you just dont need to break all that hard on a 7' table compared to a 9' table.

leehayes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really doubt there is an issue with it. You will most likely hear that the BK shaft is optimized for breaking. From the info on the website it should be plenty strong to handle a break. Especially if you don't have a monster break.

leehayes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vantage is the thickest, stiffest, strongest spliced shaft, and has the lowest front-end mass of the spliced shaft line-up. That may be surprising, but with the increased strength and spine of our ProV taper, Vantage shafts are stronger, allowing for increased mass reduction at the front-end.

From Predator's website

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vantage is the thickest, stiffest, strongest spliced shaft, and has the lowest front-end mass of the spliced shaft line-up. That may be surprising, but with the increased strength and spine of our ProV taper, Vantage shafts are stronger, allowing for increased mass reduction at the front-end.

From Predator's website

Yeah, it's the front end mass reduction that I am concerned with.
Obviously, the shaft is thicker (wood turned down less), curious if the ferrule side walls are thicker as well. Stands to reason considering the 12.9 wouldn't be turned down as much either.
I have replaced Z2 and 314-2 ferrules but I haven't seen the wall thickness of the Vantage ferrule yet.

Come to think of it, I can take my Z3 and Vantage to work with me and X-ray the ferrules for thickness. I will report back later

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, it's the front end mass reduction that I am concerned with.
Obviously, the shaft is thicker (wood turned down less), curious if the ferrule side walls are thicker as well. Stands to reason considering the 12.9 wouldn't be turned down as much either.
I have replaced Z2 and 314-2 ferrules but I haven't seen the wall thickness of the Vantage ferrule yet.

Come to think of it, I can take my Z3 and Vantage to work with me and X-ray the ferrules for thickness. I will report back later

I would never break with any shaft that is spliced or hollowed out -- In fact I do not like to use a Ferrell on my breaker because, even if it is very thick and made for the abuse of power breaking, I know sooner or later I would have a problem with it, if it's not there it can not break.

In short - find a solid, heavy, dense shaft to use as a breaker.

Good rolls.

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would never break with any shaft that is spliced or hollowed out -- In fact I do not like to use a Ferrell on my breaker because, even if it is very thick and made for the abuse of power breaking, I know sooner or later I would have a problem with it, if it's not there it can not break.

In short - find a solid, heavy, dense shaft to use as a breaker.

Good rolls.

Agent99, I do understand what you are saying and I also understand your opinion on ferruless shafts for breaking. However, that wasn't the question or point of the post.
No disrespect intended, just wasn't the point.
I have no shortage of cues, several shooters, a few breakers, and even a few collectors but as I mentioned, I enjoy the simplicity of breaking and shooting with the same cue. Therefore, I was checking if anyone one this huge billiard resource was breaking with their Vantage or had issues doing so.
To be honest, it feels like a log right now at 12.9 but it's actually impressing me as far as it's play. Huge plus if I can get the size out of my head and if I can break with it.

Last edited:

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agent99, I do understand what you are saying and I also understand your opinion on ferruless shafts for breaking. However, that wasn't the question or point of the post.
No disrespect intended, just wasn't the point.
I have no shortage of cues, several shooters, a few breakers, and even a few collectors but as I mentioned, I enjoy the simplicity of breaking and shooting with the same cue. Therefore, I was checking if anyone one this huge billiard resource was breaking with their Vantage or had issues doing so.
To be honest, it feels like a log right now at 12.9 but it's actually impressing me as far as it's play. Huge plus if I can get the size out of my head and if I can break with it.

Got it ... this is what I would do if I wanted to break with a Vantage, and I understand why you want to.

I would make sure to carry a spare, and you may already, this way I can not see any potential troubles for you - and, 1x2 cases are the coolest...

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got it ... this is what I would do if I wanted to break with a Vantage, and I understand why you want to.

I would make sure to carry a spare, and you may already, this way I can not see any potential troubles for you - and, 1x2 cases are the coolest...

That's a good idea; I will change the tip on my other one so they match in case I need it.