Any way to repair a shattered buttcap?

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
So, the a$$hole hothead who was shooting with my cue missed an easy shot and slammed the cue down onto the tile floor and produced this damage. There's a crack up to the wrap, and obviously the buttcap is, well, in pieces.

The guy who did it is sick to his stomach about ruining this cue. I don't think there's much hope, but I have to ask.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3153[1].jpg
    IMG_3153[1].jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 571

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very fixable if the cue is worth the trouble. Your local cuemaker or original maker can bring it back to its glory day. :)

Mario

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
Really? That can be repaired? I wouldn't have thought so, so thank you.

It's a 14 year old Adam Balabushka (Japanese made). I'll contact one of them and see, then. I guess the company has since split, so I have two avenues, I suppose.

Last edited:

bdcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just find you local cue maker, he can fix it for you as you certainly are not going to send it back to Japan for repair.

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
Well, I've pinged Balabushka (in their Tempe, AZ, office) to see what they say. I don't think they'd be shipping to Japan in any case.

I may go the local route, regardless, but I'll see what they tell me first.

[Deleted.]

Last edited:

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
It is not cool for cuemakers to post prices here, but it will depend on what
exactly you want done. The crack can probably be repaired with glueing/clamping
and likely last forever. But you could get that part truly replaced aswell which will
probably also mean a new wrap. Second option would be a lot more $ then the first one.

gr. Dave

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
It is not cool for cuemakers to post prices here, but it will depend on what
exactly you want done. The crack can probably be repaired with glueing/clamping
and likely last forever. But you could get that part truly replaced aswell which will
probably also mean a new wrap. Second option would be a lot more $ then the first one.

gr. Dave

Thank you. I should have realized that would be bad form. I wasn't really soliciting bids, but trying to get a general ballpark of what Balabushka would say. I should have known better.

Thanks again. Post was edited to remove the question. Apologies for that.

Last edited:

bdcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If one is careful there should be no reason to replace the wrap. I would want the butt sleeve replaced though instead of glued. Respray on the buttsleeve/cap may be all you need. If the forearm is dinged up and the wrap is due for replacement then now is the time to refinish/rewrap the cue while the repair is being done.

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
Thanks. I think I'm going to have the damaged piece replaced. The wrap could probably use replacement, too.

The cue isn't terribly expensive, but my kids are already arguing over it, so I want it fixed and in good shape.

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
What a complete jerkoff....he had to slam the hell out of it.

He can be, and he did. He's a big guy who hates to lose, doesn't know his own strength, and had missed several easy shots after a very long day when nothing went right. Frustration just got the better of him. He didn't mean to break the cue and feels like a tool for abusing it. He learned from it, though, and he's paying for it.

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He can be, and he did. He's a big guy who hates to lose, doesn't know his own strength, and had missed several easy shots after a very long day when nothing went right. Frustration just got the better of him. He didn't mean to break the cue and feels like a tool for abusing it. He learned from it, though, and he's paying for it.

I would have the buttsleeve and cap(paid for by your friend) and the wrap replaced(paid for by you) replaced by a local cuemaker.

Your cue will be satisfactory to you ad your friend will learn that temper tantrums can be costly.

BTW, in the future, don't loan that guy your cue!!!

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would have the buttsleeve and cap(paid for by your friend) and the wrap replaced(paid for by you)

REALLY?? Why should this repair cost sardiver anything. His friend is responsible for all of iT, and that includes the wrap. Someone mentioned the wrap shouldn't have to get changed. (not you). So, someone is going to change the butt cap, but sleeve, respray it and not change the wrap. REDICULOUS.

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
I would have the buttsleeve and cap(paid for by your friend) and the wrap replaced(paid for by you) replaced by a local cuemaker.

Your cue will be satisfactory to you ad your friend will learn that temper tantrums can be costly.

BTW, in the future, don't loan that guy your cue!!!

REALLY?? Why should this repair cost sardiver anything. His friend is responsible for all of iT, and that includes the wrap. Someone mentioned the wrap shouldn't have to get changed. (not you). So, someone is going to change the butt cap, but sleeve, respray it and not change the wrap. REDICULOUS.

Not only is the guy who slammed the cue a hothead, he's also sleeping with my wife.

:eek:

Since there's an argument brewing, I will come clean. The horse's ass in question is yours truly. It was a momentary flash of anger taken out on an inanimate object that didn't deserve it, and damned stupid. (And while I'm quick to temper at times, I'm not actually prone to breaking things, and when it happens, those things are always limited to the inanimate.)

So, I'm going to pay an a$$hole tax, beat myself up about it for a little while, learn, and move on. Posting about it like I had been (third person, etc.) has been somewhat cathartic and helped me laugh about it a little.

I appreciate the help everyone has given. I've gotten the estimate back from Balabushka, and it's right where I expected it to be.

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not only is the guy who slammed the cue a hothead, he's also sleeping with my wife.

:eek:

Since there's an argument brewing, I will come clean. The horse's ass in question is yours truly. It was a momentary flash of anger taken out on an inanimate object that didn't deserve it, and damned stupid. (And while I'm quick to temper at times, I'm not actually prone to breaking things, and when it happens, those things are always limited to the inanimate.)

So, I'm going to pay an a$$hole tax, beat myself up about it for a little while, learn, and move on. Posting about it like I had been (third person, etc.) has been somewhat cathartic and helped me laugh about it a little.

I appreciate the help everyone has given. I've gotten the estimate back from Balabushka, and it's right where I expected it to be.

Nice. Well done Sir. Well done.

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
Nice. Well done Sir. Well done.

I dunno how much sarcasm is loaded into that, but it works even if it's dripping with it.

LOL

So my new Mezz/Schon waits a little while, and I start looking for deep pile carpeting to cover up the tile, just in case I decide to turn 5 years old again.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dunno how much sarcasm is loaded into that, but it works even if it's dripping with it.

LOL

So my new Mezz/Schon waits a little while, and I start looking for deep pile carpeting to cover up the tile, just in case I decide to turn 5 years old again.

None at all. I enjoyed the stories.

Rackemep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel your pain, some asshole borrowed my cue for the night and had a series of shots that took him from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows...all over some chick named Ms. Cue...

I should of broke and run this rack out in the finals of a little local tourney...hill hill in the second set after clawing my way through the losers bracket..miss cued on the shot before the 8 leaving my opponent a tough out...he opted to play safe and it was a decent one. I had to kick two rails but it looked like it'd go in the side....called it and finessed it in to get a shot at the 8...took my time, went through the motions got down to shoot the 8 and "tick!!!"...I was so pissed...Ms. Cue is a *****!!! I walked away from the table and drove the butt of my GK into the floor and the butt cap came apart...it's all glued on there to this day, the cue still plays amazing but man I was sick for a while about it...it'll eventually get repaired by the maker...lesson learned the hard way....

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
None at all. I enjoyed the stories.

Thank you for that.

I feel your pain, some asshole borrowed my cue for the night and had a series of shots that took him from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows...all over some chick named Ms. Cue...

I should of broke and run this rack out in the finals of a little local tourney...hill hill in the second set after clawing my way through the losers bracket..miss cued on the shot before the 8 leaving my opponent a tough out...he opted to play safe and it was a decent one. I had to kick two rails but it looked like it'd go in the side....called it and finessed it in to get a shot at the 8...took my time, went through the motions got down to shoot the 8 and "tick!!!"...I was so pissed...Ms. Cue is a *****!!! I walked away from the table and drove the butt of my GK into the floor and the butt cap came apart...it's all glued on there to this day, the cue still plays amazing but man I was sick for a while about it...it'll eventually get repaired by the maker...lesson learned the hard way....

Ouch. Well, at least it may help us each to know we aren't alone. LOL

My only real question now is whether it makes much difference to have the local cue guy do it or send it back to the OEM, which will do the repair in-house (meaning not shipped to their manufacturing plant in China, I believe).