Anyone else struggle getting used to 12.4 revo?

Nyquil

I was playing with standard deflection 13mm cue since I got my table. Was making good progress especially on long distance shots. I figured going down to a 12.4 L/D wouldn't be that big of an adjustment. That has not been the case. Seem to purposely have to aim half a cue tip to the left also it feels front heavy.

Anyway I'll keep practicing with it I do like never having to worry about warping but def more an adjustment than I was expecting. I am missing some pretty easy shots I was not missing before etc.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I too went from a regular 13mm shaft to a Revo 12.4 mm. Adjustment period took about 1 week. Switched to 11.8mm when it came out. Shafts are unbelievable how good they are. People complain about the sound the cf shaftales when hitting the ball but I could care less when I'm seeing the ball hit the back of the pocket.

Reactions: bbb

middleofnowhere

Registered
I too went from a regular 13mm shaft to a Revo 12.4 mm. Adjustment period took about 1 week. Switched to 11.8mm when it came out. Shafts are unbelievable how good they are. People complain about the sound the cf shaftales when hitting the ball but I could care less when I'm seeing the ball hit the back of the pocket.
How does it work. Do you just order the shaft in your joint screw. How do they fit?

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing with standard deflection 13mm cue since I got my table. Was making good progress especially on long distance shots. I figured going down to a 12.4 L/D wouldn't be that big of an adjustment. That has not been the case. Seem to purposely have to aim half a cue tip to the left also it feels front heavy.

Anyway I'll keep practicing with it I do like never having to worry about warping but def more an adjustment than I was expecting. I am missing some pretty easy shots I was not missing before etc.
Two things to try... first, adjust your bridge length. Try one a few inches longer.

Second, are you making the shots when using no English? If you are, line up a center cue ball hit, and then move the bridge hand left or right while moving nothing else.... forward hand english.... on slower speed shots. Back hand English on fast speed shots. Eliminate the parallel English for a while until you get more experience with the shaft.

Last edited:

middleofnowhere

Registered
yes
you order the shaft in your joint pin
for me the fit has been fine and i have them in 5/16x14 /radial/and 3/8x10
How close to each other has the shafts made the cues play?

In other words, has the shafts made the cue butts and their builders irrelevant?

I mentioned in other threads these after market shafts may make it not matter who built your cue or the mystique of the cuemaker. The magic is now in the shaft.

They have certainly invented a market for themselves. There is no way those shafts are worth what they are getting for them.

A cuemaker takes many months laboring over shafts. Multiple turnings and many rejections trying to build a high quality shaft.

These CF shafts are mass produced and they get several times what the best cuemakers charge for a fitted shaft matched to your butt.

I'm trying to figure out what this all means. Does it mean forget waiting a year for a cue and paying $1500.00. Just buy any production cue for a few hundred, throw out the shaft and put on a CF shaft and your good to go. It certainly sounds like that.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don’t want to sidetrack this thread to answer your question middle of nowhere
Check your PM

middleofnowhere

Registered
I don’t want to sidetrack this thread to answer your question middle of nowhere
Check your PM
Thanks for your message. I don't think it was off subject. I have two cues I play with. They both have the same joint. Regardless what butt I use I play with the same shaft. I can put that shaft on either cue an I'm happy.

My thinking is, while there may be some differences in butts, for the most part if you become accostom to a CF shaft the butt will not make that much difference as long as it is to your likings weight, wrap etc.

These shafts "ARE" game changers in the cue industry. Like in golf, tennis, fishing rods, archery and so on, equipment evolves. Pool was due and I think it is here.
I'm ready to take a shot and give it a try, just a matter what one to get?

Last edited:

NathanDetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have to say the butt made all the difference to me.

I got a sweet deal on a 12.4 which I didn't need. My cue then was a Becue prime with the white shaft. Liked it, but thought I would gove the revo a try. Tried it on four separate Joss butts. They all played exactly alike and did not convince me to switch.

A Falcon cue came my way which I discovered was made when Falcon was producing butts for Predator. A match made in heaven.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Have to say the butt made all the difference to me.

I got a sweet deal on a 12.4 which I didn't need. My cue then was a Becue prime with the white shaft. Liked it, but thought I would gove the revo a try. Tried it on four separate Joss butts. They all played exactly alike and did not convince me to switch.

A Falcon cue came my way which I discovered was made when Falcon was producing butts for Predator. A match made in heaven.
I think what you said actually confirmed what I was saying. You didn't need to order a cue and wait 3 years and pay $2,000. You just needed a pretty good butt to put your shaft on and you found it.

Nyquil

Two things to try... first, adjust your bridge length. Try one a few inches longer.

Second, are you making the shots when using no English? If you are, line up a center cue ball hit, and then move the bridge hand left or right while moving nothing else.... forward hand english.... on slower speed shots. Back hand English on fast speed shots. Eliminate the parallel English for a while until you get more experience with the shaft.
Ya I have been playing around with this. Most misses are coming from long cut shots I have been just putting top spin no English for the most part. I will say you can definitely get more draw with a revo that is for sure.

Nyquil

I got a radial set up not sure if that makes a difference but I don't notice a ting. One thing that does surprise me is vibration. I get quite a bit of it with the revo that I was not expecting. Not sure if maybe the tip has something to do with that or not. The radial pin and the shaft fits really tight so it's not loose...

L.S. Dennis

I’m just an old geezer who’s used wood for all these years and never having shot with a new cf shaft. Just wondering is there anyone who’s used one, not liked it and went back to the hard rock maple ones?
I remember Johnny Archer say once that he didn’t like low deflection shafts and prefers one with deflection. This was a while ago and he may have changed his opinion by now.

Nyquil

I’m just an old geezer who’s used wood for all these years and never having shot with a new cf shaft. Just wondering is there anyone who’s used one, not liked it and went back to the hard rock maple ones?
I remember Johnny Archer say once that he didn’t like low deflection shafts and prefers one with deflection. This was a while ago and he may have changed his opinion by now.
I haven't been playing that long but I definitely feel like I have an auto adjust that is built into my shot to offset the deflection I think. Really there is nothing wrong with a good maple shaft but carbon is definitely slicker and I have sweaty paws so that is nice. Easier to clean and don't have to worry warping. So there is some pro's I would say con is cost def expensive and if you have been shooting non low deflection it may take some adjustment. It is for me at least.

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How close to each other has the shafts made the cues play?

In other words, has the shafts made the cue butts and their builders irrelevant?

I mentioned in other threads these after market shafts may make it not matter who built your cue or the mystique of the cuemaker. The magic is now in the shaft.

They have certainly invented a market for themselves. There is no way those shafts are worth what they are getting for them.

A cuemaker takes many months laboring over shafts. Multiple turnings and many rejections trying to build a high quality shaft.

These CF shafts are mass produced and they get several times what the best cuemakers charge for a fitted shaft matched to your butt.

I'm trying to figure out what this all means. Does it mean forget waiting a year for a cue and paying $1500.00. Just buy any production cue for a few hundred, throw out the shaft and put on a CF shaft and your good to go. It certainly sounds like that.
One of the big appeals to me is the durability and consistency. It never warps, The hits the same the whole way around. With wood, I felt like I was fighting this constant battle of keeping it clean and dent free.

I also noticed with low deflection wood shafts, The performance would degrade over time. A fresh new shaft would hit crisper than one I'd been playing with for a few years.

A huge part for me is that if I were to ever lose my cue, I could buy another of the same thing and it would feel the same.

You lose a bit of feel and a lot of the magic by switching to carbon fiber, but I think you were already losing a lot of that by switching to low deflection.

Long way of saying, wood hits and feels better.

I still can't believe the shafts haven't gone down in price. I think thats nuts. I was hoping there'd be a revo 3 by now so I could pick up a spare revo for less than an arm and a leg.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don’t over think it and don’t take advice that affects your fundamentals unless they are already flawed. Just drill your way through it. Sticker up a shot and make it 10 times. Now again with top left. Left. Bottom left. Bottom. Bottom right. Right. Top right. Top. Time for a new shot. Train your brain. Play play play. Gamble with a buddy. Don’t blame the stick. Don’t blame the change. Enter a tournament. Play leagues. Go to a bar and beat up locals. Play play play. Practice more. Work out some preset patterns. Practice play gamble compete.

Then it’ll click.

If you’re not willing to do that then you’re not ready to ever change cues.

Nyquil

One of the big appeals to me is the durability and consistency. It never warps, The hits the same the whole way around. With wood, I felt like I was fighting this constant battle of keeping it clean and dent free.

I also noticed with low deflection wood shafts, The performance would degrade over time. A fresh new shaft would hit crisper than one I'd been playing with for a few years.

A huge part for me is that if I were to ever lose my cue, I could buy another of the same thing and it would feel the same.

You lose a bit of feel and a lot of the magic by switching to carbon fiber, but I think you were already losing a lot of that by switching to low deflection.

Long way of saying, wood hits and feels better.

I still can't believe the shafts haven't gone down in price. I think thats nuts. I was hoping there'd be a revo 3 by now so I could pick up a spare revo for less than an arm and a leg.
All very good points. Tonight I shot much better. I got in the bad habit of rotating the revo with my old cue to see if my form was off after several misses. Tonight I played solely with the Revo. It's a laser beam when you get used to it. The amount of energy you can generate on the cue ball is very good to the point I have to be much more careful with my power in the stroke from shot to shot.

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember when predator first showed up with their revolutionary new shaft. Took some time ( 20 years...) and I got one. Couldn't hit those same shots the OP is having trouble with. Long thin cuts I would just whiff...right on by. The thing is, I can still play with a regular maple shaft, and I do when banging balls in the basement, but use my LD for everything else. It will be another 20 years to switch to CF. I have an aversion to change. But I am sure that they are better than my current LD.

Nyquil

Don’t over think it and don’t take advice that affects your fundamentals unless they are already flawed. Just drill your way through it. Sticker up a shot and make it 10 times. Now again with top left. Left. Bottom left. Bottom. Bottom right. Right. Top right. Top. Time for a new shot. Train your brain. Play play play. Gamble with a buddy. Don’t blame the stick. Don’t blame the change. Enter a tournament. Play leagues. Go to a bar and beat up locals. Play play play. Practice more. Work out some preset patterns. Practice play gamble compete.

Then it’ll click.

If you’re not willing to do that then you’re not ready to ever change cues.
Yup good advice did some of that tonight. Getting the hang of it. The smaller diameter def brings out the flaws in your stroke I feel like. Thing is a banger when I do my part.