Anyone ever seen Russian Pyramid Billiards?

Jeff Rosen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This weekend Tony Robles' Predator Tour was at Boardwalk Billiards in Brighton Beach Brooklyn. Brighton Beach is a very heavily Russian neighborhood of NYC. When I walked in I noticed a bunch of 12 foot snooker type tables. The owner said it was for Russian Pyramid Billiards. The balls were twice the size of pool balls (like soft ball size) and the pockets small. For a ball to go in it has to perfectly fit. There are no scratches, if the cue ball (red ball in that game) goes in counts the same as any other ball so they can try to carom the cue into the pocket. Very interesting game. Several "A" and "B" players while waiting to play in the Predator tried it and were having a hard time.

crazysnake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been there, nice room. That Pyramid game is crazy. Those balls barely fit in the hole.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Evgeny Stalev who use to be here in the USA quite a bit was a champion in RP- As i recall you had to blast the ball to 'crush' your way through the rails into the pocket.

Last edited:

ahk10

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Went to Ukraine to watch some football ('soccer') and played at a hall there. Super difficult for sure and i think the 'crushing' tactic is definitely the way. The locals all seemed pretty competent for the difficulty of the game. As someone who plays a bit of snooker I can definitely say that it is a step up in pocketing difficulty.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I used to do business with a Russian billiard store....
....they had a 6x12 in the back and always bugged me to play.
When I did, they gave me a 24 oz cue...64 inches long...I didn’t like it.
...next time I dropped by I brought a 20 oz cue....57 inches....felt a lot better to me.
....and a straight in shot DID touch rubber both sides on the way in....
....makes sense to hit it hard.