Anyone interested in helping send a young player to China?

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL. I love how you say "I read an interesting article about [this]" and then link to this. Despite the fact that your article is from ANewsCafe, I clicked anyway. The first sentence: "Let me preface this by warning you this is a venting piece." The next 1,000 words are little more than a *****y rant based on one person's opinion.

But to be fair, I agree. It seems like tons of people are abusing (for lack of a better term) the online crowdfunding sites for ridiculously foolish/selfish needs. For example, a "friend" of mine asked me to donate to HER crowdfunding page. She wants to gather $10,000 so she can write a book. My response was "I'll send you a few pens and some paper or better yet... you can have my old laptop and type it all out and save the hand cramps."

Still, what you and the author of this article are talking about (my example above) is markedly different than what this young girl is doing. She's not some 20-something hoping to get some free money to go on a super-awesome spring break trip with friends. She's not asking people to give her a small salary so she can sit on a beach and write. She's a young girl with limited resources and a tight window in which to raise money. Its not like she has a 9-5, $75k a year job. She's 14. She's lucky if she has a job that pays her $10 an hour. But she's been given an opportunity/invitation to play in a major event half a world away. And not many 14 yr. olds have that kind of money OR many options to raise that money in a small amount of time. I see nothing wrong with what she's doing. More power to her.
You know what would be nice, if she heard about a family with a handicapped child who need a lift gate equipped van and went about raising the funds to buy them one instead of begging for her own selfish wants.

That is not the article I was referring to by the way. The one I read was on the home page of my internet provider. I just googled cyber begging to show an example of what I was talking about.

I just clicked on like the first one, i could have shown dozens of stories of people like that girl who wants people to give here a hand out for some meaningless personal want.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know what would be nice, if she heard about a family with a handicapped child who need a lift gate equipped van and went about raising the funds to buy them one instead of begging for her own selfish wants.

That is not the article I was referring to by the way. The one I read was on the home page of my internet provider. I just googled cyber begging to show an example of what I was talking about.

I just clicked on like the first one, i could have shown dozens of stories of people like that girl who wants people to give here a hand out for some meaningless personal want.

I don't think this reason to raise money is too crazy to ask for donations for, I mean it's a chance to play in a world event, maybe the only time she gets a chance to do that, she could not place high enough to make it the other years. I know if my son happens to place high enough to get an invitation I could not make it there without outside help, and I'd be looking for opportunities to raise money for that trip for him. It's not like she (or any of the other kids that have a chance to go) are asking to get a new PlayStation because they have a 3 and her friends have a 4. It may be a once in a lifetime event for her, it's not even just a trip to China, it's a trip to China to play in a world championship tournament that she earned a spot in.

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Man did you ever hit the nail on the head! This is a want, not a need. I have experience with people with both. It seems to me those with true need are more humble and thankful. Those with want seem to feel entitled to the help.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think this reason to raise money is too crazy to ask for donations for, I mean it's a chance to play in a world event, maybe the only time she gets a chance to do that, she could not place high enough to make it the other years. I know if my son happens to place high enough to get an invitation I could not make it there without outside help, and I'd be looking for opportunities to raise money for that trip for him. It's not like she (or any of the other kids that have a chance to go) are asking to get a new PlayStation because they have a 3 and her friends have a 4. It may be a once in a lifetime event for her, it's not even just a trip to China, it's a trip to China to play in a world championship tournament that she earned a spot in.

PM me when that happens, we all know it will. I don't have a lot but always like helping kids fulfill what could be a lifetime opportunity.

I'll message the mods and see if I can get this deleted and know for the future.