Anyone shoot with just one or two cues for many years?

How often do you change cues?

• Found one cue and stuck with it

Votes: 28 38.9%
  • Change occasionally, but tend to stick with a cue for many years

Votes: 31 43.1%
  • I like to change it up every year or two

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • Hell, I've got more than one cue on order at the moment

Votes: 4 5.6%

• Total voters

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I never understood using different cues.

Each cue has different deflection, I believe a player subconsciously learns the cue. Switching cues means it's got to be relearned.

Never understood this about a friend. Plays everything but league and tourneys w a sneaky pete, uses his better cue pretty much league only.

Doesn't make sense to me.

What makes someone decide they need to switch?

I suspect vanity and pride are the main motivators.

What makes his other cues "better" than his sneaky pete. Just curious ?

buckets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been playing seriously for 2-3 years, and have gone through as many cues and then some.

Got a great deal on a Schon earlier this year and plan to use this cue until it breaks or I do. That won't stop me from buying new cues (because I love 'em), but this will probably be my career player.

Last edited:

buckets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never understood using different cues.

Each cue has different deflection, I believe a player subconsciously learns the cue. Switching cues means it's got to be relearned.

Never understood this about a friend. Plays everything but league and tourneys w a sneaky pete, uses his better cue pretty much league only.

Doesn't make sense to me.

What makes someone decide they need to switch?

I suspect vanity and pride are the main motivators.
I switch between cues pretty often—I have a nice one that I take to the pool room, a crappy one that I take to bar tourneys, house cues for winning drinks from strangers, and I'll use my dad's cue when I'm at my parents' house—and my brain dials in the adjustment automagically after a few shots.

The only thing that really throws me off is using an LD shaft, because I typically shoot with standard maple. I'm sure with time I could adjust, but I like the hit of solid maple.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been playing with a Dan Dishaw since I bought the cue from the second owner in '94 or '95. I've owned several cues since I bought it but that's the one I end up keeping. When I bought it it was considered to be "a poor man's Southwest". I bought it because it played very similar to the two Southwest cues I owned previously. I recently sold my Varney because I needed the money. Dishaw has four shafts and I can play well with any/all of them in a very short time.

PoolChump

Banned
Shoot with just one cue at a time

Just curious about this. Here's my story. Back when I was a young teen...maybe 13 or so, my dad got me my first cue: A cheap piece of crap Cue Ball Kelly cue. I think we paid $50 or $75 for it, and that's probably overpriced. I've been using it as a practice cue on my new cue lathe.

About a year later, I was ready for a better cue. My dad got a McDermott D4 for himself, with a linen wrap, and I got a D19.

At some point, I picked up a Lucasi. At the time it was pretty cheap, and it was my bar cue. That's the only time I ever took it out.

Anyhow, I played with that D19 for almost 30 years. I just replaced it earlier this year, not because I didn't like it but simply because I wanted to retire it. It has sentimental value to me. To replace it, I bought a very odd McDermott from Kickin' Chicken. It's not really a production model, and has a strange (and confirmed) story behind it. Anyhow, it looks pretty similar to the D19, and really plays just like it. It's one of the last McD made with real half-spliced ebony points. That's my main cue, now.

So other than my first "starter" cue that got put way almost immediately, and the Lucasi that I used as my bar banger, I've basically played with one cue my entire life, which was retired and replaced with another cue which was as similar as I could possibly get.

Anyone else find a cue they like and just hang on to it forever, or do you like to flip every few months?

It is hard enough to shoot with one cue. Playing with two cues at the same time would be most difficult.

desmocourtney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My main player, Lambros merry widow, turned 20 this year. It looks great and plays great.

I have used several different LD safts however, currently loving a Tiger Pro X. I have another Pro X on an old Adam that stays in my truck, but it doesn't have that hit that I like in my Lambros. Both have Ultra Skin tips. :eek: