APA 8 ball score keeping

AceAngeles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm just wondering in your "average night" of 8 ball scorekeeping how many defensive shots are usually recorded on your score sheet. Understandably some matches are low innings with little or no defensive shots but on the average after 5 matches? 1-4, 4-8, 8-12 or more? What state are you located in?

stutz

did you call that?
Silver Member
On my former traveling APA team, they were all bar players, safety shots were not in their vocabulary...

Shane33

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't keep score but I would say from 8-12 is probably normal . I am in Missouri . I am a 7 and probably average 2-3 per match depending on who I am playing . If its pretty open and I am shooting good I almost always go for the out !

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
On my former traveling APA team, they were all bar players, safety shots were not in their vocabulary...

arent 80 percent of people who play 8ball bar players though?

i was at slick willies this weekend, and i garuntee that everyone in there except me was playing 8ball,

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Tough to say, it really depends on who plays. Last night I marked probably between 15 - 20 for the entire match. Pretty low level team, mostly beginning APA players in a division of similar teams
If I play they usually would just write 'Yes' in the defensive area

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It depends as a few others have said.

As for my team it depends on whether I am trying to win or I am " really " trying to win.

On nights I am trying to win I will have as many as the other 4 team mates combined.

On nights I am " really "trying to win I will have twice as many as my 4 other team mates combined.l

Let me clarify.... I always try to win but some nights it depends on my opponent how many safes I play. The higher the level of my opponent . The higher amount of safes I play.

Last night I a good example..i had 10 safes...the rest of the team combined had none.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
There was a recent thread about this with alot of information.

When I played APA, if my teammate (SL2) was in charge of the sheet, usually he didn't mark them. I was SL4/SL5 and would mark if I clearly see a defensive shot. So, I say it depends on the person scoring.

That being said properly marking innings, scoring 1,2&3 points, defensive shots may contribute to more accurate score keeping, but I think the system is robust enough to tolerate human error.

Last edited:

AceAngeles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Average night....

There was a recent thread about this with alot of information.

When I played APA, if my teammate (SL2) was in charge of the sheet, usually he didn't mark them. I was SL4/SL5 and would mark if I clearly see a defensive shot. So, I say it depends on the person scoring.{QUOTE}

The question was on an average night around how many defensive shots is scored? What state are you from?

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Depends on who's scoring, and who's playing.

When I keep score most of the night, there will be more. When I play, there will be more. There is one player on my team who hates defense with a passion. Another player can get out much easier than the rest of us, but he's also not afraid to play defense, so it depends on how his match goes, he could 0-1, or he could have 4-6.

Last night I think we had about 8-10 total. I didnt play, and only scored about half the night. Some weeks we could have over 20.

AceAngeles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So it seems like an average night on an 8 ball score sheet there are around 8-10 defensive shots listed? I wish APA league or "former" league operators would weigh in. Some people are saying 0-3, sometimes over 15?

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So it seems like an average night on an 8 ball score sheet there are around 8-10 defensive shots listed? I wish APA league or "former" league operators would weigh in. Some people are saying 0-3, sometimes over 15?

Anyone that says the teams went an entire night without a single safety are either 1.) Horrible score keeps 2.) Sandbaggers 3.) Have no clue what they are talking about. 4.) Have no clue what they are doing. There is absolutely no way an entire match is going to be played without a single safety. I would say there is no way an entire match is played out without having at least 10 safeties between the 2 teams unless 1 of the 4 above apply.

I would also say that any LO that allows their teams to continue to turn in score sheets like that should be reprimanded by the office and should be holding scoring seminars.

sixwillwin

King of the Meadow
Silver Member
Our team averages 8 or 9 a night. Probably about the same for the team were playing as well. That is all 5 matches in 8 ball.
South Dakota

Last edited: