Apex ball on spot

B

bil1987

Does anyone know why the apex ball and sometimes other balls move when you rack on the spot. When I rack right on the spot either the apex ball moves or other balls then when I either go above the spot or a little below it works perfect. Was wondering if anyone knows why this happens?

P

PoolKing

I think it is to do with the tables being old. When people rack the balls they tend to press down on some, maybe denting the table. Some people also drop the ball onto the spot which over a long period may damage the table. This is particularly noticeable when a single ball is placed on the spot, it tends to roll to one side.

B

bil1987

Actually if I was to just spot a single ball it does not move at all. It's only when i rack 9 - 8 - 7 ball or whatever. It's pretty wild.

1-P

We used to see this a lot in the room where I worked. The problem always appeared to be with the cloth. When a table was recoved, the underlying slate always appeared perfect, and the problem magically went away on the new cloth.

Apparently the cloth gets dented or depressed in various places from constant racking, or God forbid, people banging the balls to set them in place.

1-P

carlton31698

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the table has a paper spot on it that may be your problem. The spot tends to hold a curve after it has had a ball pot on top and hit, like some people do to make the ball stick. Pull the spot off brush the table very well and replace the spot, this will fix some of the problem.

D

Double D

Over time, if it is an old table, the slate will develop a depression underneath the spot. It comes from the impact of the cueball driving the one-ball down into the same place on the slate thousands of times. Or it could be just the spot itself is developing a hole, like someone else mentioned.

1-P

OK, to sum up. The table has a depression brought on by repeated beatings and/or age. Hey, isn't that they same problems we all have?!

Or maybe its just me.

1-P

B

Billy

The slate does not have a depression in it. What has happened is chalk dust is pressed under the cloth and forms a small bump where the spot is. This is due to the one ball being driven down by the cue ball on the break shot. When the table is recovered the chalk can be scraped away and the problem is fixed.