Appleton Suspension?

telinoz

Registered
Nothing online I can find on Darren Appleton.
If this was Snooker, they actually put official statements on their website. Its more professional.

Last edited:

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
84C5816A-47FB-4920-8DD9-EAC0F0600D2C.jpeg

telinoz

Registered
Interesting comments about date clashes..
Was it not Matchroom who came over the top of CSI and Predator who had published dates already and set some of their events on same dates.
So much for first in best dressed eh.

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Darren was singled out for a random drug test, his second in three weeks, and was pissed off about it.

As for the five ball, all I heard was “we made a mistake but if we change back we’re admitting it so we’re keeping things as is.”

MajorMiscue

Democat
Gold Member
Hi Def TV, lol... Don't need to mess with ball colours.
Orange pops on Grey cloth...
Lol, so, no reason then other than making a mistake to change it, then sticking with a dumb decision.

@Fatboy forget Matchroom changing colour, she is not budging.
She seems quite taken with herself. They put their TV hats on and made the decision at first glance. No mention of ever consulting players or seeking any input before or after they made their mistake. Nine ball is so 1992 anyway.

telinoz

Registered
Darren was singled out for a random drug test, his second in three weeks, and was pissed off about it.

As for the five ball, all I heard was “we made a mistake but if we change back we’re admitting it so we’re keeping things as is.”
She mentioned a Brutal match... She felt for him.
So, maybe he blurted that out after he lost about over the top testing?

TrxR

I like the grey cloth and black striped 9 ball, but still don't like the pink 4 or purple 5.
They should be making it more transparent about Appleton. If it was over the drug testing , I don't remember Appleton doing anything wrong , but it could of been something you wouldn't see unless you were there.

I found it interesting that she mentioned Rasson and Diamond are working together to standardize a pocket.

telinoz

Registered
I like the grey cloth and black striped 9 ball, but still don't like the pink 4 or purple 5.
They should be making it more transparent about Appleton. If it was over the drug testing , I don't remember Appleton doing anything wrong , but it could of been something you wouldn't see unless you were there.

I found it interesting that she mentioned Rasson and Diamond are working together to standardize a pocket.
Yes, the pocket chit chat was the best thing in this interview.
Long overdue in professional pool that they standardise pockets...

Snooker worked out templates decades ago..

WPA spec / BCA spec in their rules, same thing but gives a wide range with tolerances.
But they never nailed down a professional spec for World ranking events.
I brought this up with Ian Anderson years ago... Anyway, lets see how Matchroom go and if CSI and Predator at least follow this path for pockets.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
M
Yes, the pocket chit chat was the best thing in this interview.
Long overdue in professional pool that they standardise pockets...

Snooker worked out templates decades ago..

WPA spec / BCA spec in their rules, same thing but gives a wide range with tolerances.
But they never nailed down a professional spec for World ranking events.
I brought this up with Ian Anderson years ago... Anyway, lets see how Matchroom go and if CSI and Predator at least follow this path for pockets.
Those snooker templates also dictate where the slate fall is too.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

i think he felt sharked by the drug test so close before his match or something like that, and had an unprofessional reaction. may be wrong.

telinoz

Registered
M

Those snooker templates also dictate where the slate fall is too.
Yep, exactly.
Its not just about opening size, angles etc as we all know.

Cushion profiles should be the other thing they address as well.

Cloth seems about the only thing that is standard between these event organisers.

Anything else?

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm fine with them marketing 9 ball if they feel like that will be most lucrative game- but no need to knock 10 ball. I think 10 ball is a superior game for pro players- there is no wing ball on the break and I like the call pocket rule. I understand the drawbacks though in terms of more time consuming matches.

VVP

Registered

Before his first drug test, Darren had said on a podcast that there needs to be changes at the WPA and specifically said that the president will be changed soon. If this is true that he was pulled for a second drug test it would look like harassment to me.
The WPA seems to be a useless organization imo given the scheduling fiasco that has been going on and if there is retaliation against Darren for what he said about the WPA then that is proof in the pudding that it's useless.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really I assume they partnered with Aramith to make the balls and if they publicly backpedal in an official way they might either (A) be in breach of contract, (B) be at risk of litigation from Amaith somehow for damaging their sales, (C) have their own investment in the product they want to recoup before going back to the lab, or (D) just don’t want to risk a bad reputation as an industry partner.

I imagine they will truly acknowledge and address it only after the initial decision has run its course and then they’ll later swoop in with exciting news about how they care and listen. Until them, I think it’s reasonable for the community that finds the purple 5 distasteful to continue to express their opinion and not let them off the hook.

Last edited: