Aramith Standard vs Premium pool ball set

Big Pete

Registered
1st post, but I have been reading to forum for 6 months and have enjoyed it. Need some advise, I started play pool again on my old "Sears" slate table which given to me 20 years ago, and it was 20+ years old when I got it. The table was recovered several times over the years, last time was 1 year ago using "Mali" cloth (which I'm not sure I would use again). Now it's time for a new set of billiard balls. I'm a little scared to buy the tournamrent grade balls, because of table age, cloth quality and my 15 year old son and his friends use it. However, I practice with several guys and two play in local APA leagues. Looking for opinions, 1 or 2 thousands of inch difference in $85.00 Aramith standard balls vs $142.00 premium set, is it worth it? I'm thinking I'd be better of with standard balls and $57 of upgraded tips for cues and chaulk.

msubilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it were me, I'd buy a set of Super Aramith Pro for you and your friends and buy a cheap set for your son and his friends. If you keep the Super Aramith Pro's clean then they should last for a few years at least.

NB-DOWNUNDER

Wild West Lone Ranger
As long as the balls aren't low grade polyacryllic surfaces.

If youre worried about the weight of the balls, the Aramith TV Pro Cup set are slightly lighter than either of those 2 Aramith sets. But they are stupidly expensive.

Here's the Aramith Heirachy
Premier (Turquoise/Green Box) > Premium (Green Box) > Pro Cup (Blue Box) > TV Pro Cup (Blue Box) > Duramith Tournament (Grey)

I work at a pool hall and We have a set of Premiums, and some other no name brand (I think) and the premiums will hold their finish longer than the other balls. The cloth manufacturers will also lay on some stuff about having better balls extends the life of the cloth.

Last edited:

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
My two cents is ... get a set of Centenials. Clean/polish them occasionally and they will last forever. :thumbup:

justin.powell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aramith super pro balls for sure. I think B-rod has a bunch of sets for a good price on the for sale forum now.

wontonny

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd suggest the Premium set out of the two. They are perfectly acceptable balls. But, everyone else is saying SuperPros/Tournament balls are worth the money - it's because they are.

mamics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What does everyone think about the cosmetic differences between the Aramith sets ?
The Aramith Super Pro's (TV set) have slight blurring / smudging between the white to colour transition & also between the white to black (numbers) transition.

Whereas the Aramtih Premiers have great sharp clean distinction between white / colour boundary & white / black boundary. Also the Super Pro (TV set) was kinda off-white / yellowish on both cue ball (measle) & object balls.

Is this normal ?

Thanx
Cheers.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
There is a difference in the quality... The premiums are within 3 thousandths... The Super Pro and Centennials are within 1 thousandth....

You may not think it matters but it really does when you are trying to get the balls to play, react and even rack right.....

From the Magic Ball Rack website..

"Worn and used balls can be used with a tolerance level of 0.1mm" which is just under 4 thousandths so you are already on your way towards fighting to get a good rack the day you buy the premiums..

If you do buy the premiums I'd say budget an extra $20 and I can sell you The Accu-Rack System since it works even on old worn out balls....

Do yourself a favor and bite the bullet on this. You won't go wrong with the Super Pros, Centennials or Tournament ballsets.....

Chris

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
IMHO based upon the Aramith Warranty, I would go with the CHEAPEST SET you can find. If the set develops problems, you will be hard pressed to get Aramith to do much but blame you.

mamics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Aramith Super Pro's (TV set) have slight blurring / smudging between the white to colour transition & also between the white to black (numbers) transition.

Is this normal ?

I got a reply from Saluc about this question - it reads...
Hoping this answers your query,
Best regards.
ARAMITH - BELGIUM

Big Pete

Registered
Got the Super Pro set

Ended up buying the Aramith Super Pro set. Also with the hopes of better breaks, I got the Magic Rack two pack. Great improvement over what I started with. Now I just need to get some of the "old timers" that I shoot with to use the Magic Rack.
Thanks for all the input.