Archer's Place, Marietta Ga...??

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Always had a hidden security camera over my bar and counter area. The employees did not know it was there. Also made sure to review the computer readings on a regular basis and compare it with what I am seeing on tape.

I found it particularly interesting that if I was gone on any weekend night our pool business was always off about 10%. My night manager would tell me, "Boss, it was just not as busy as normal." I caught him failing to enter on the computer two pool tables at the back of the room and doing all the other normal things; handing out the ball tray and taking a drivers license or credit card and putting it in the correct slot for that table. He would commit to memory the time they started and when they were finished he would charge them accordingly (at $10/hour). He would open the register and put the money he collected inside. He would go through the motions on the computer, but nothing got entered. All looks good on camera.

Later on the next time he made a transaction for food or drink sales, or pool time (on any other table) for that matter, he would remove the extra money he had put in the register earlier. He would just grab the twenty or thirty dollars and stuff it in his pocket when he walked away. He did this all night with two pool tables, and on a busy night like Friday or Saturday that might mean $60-80 on each table. So maybe about $125-150 he was pocketing on that night. He got away with this for a few months as I rarely took a weekend night off. But once in a while there would be an event that I wanted to attend or maybe a poker tournament I wanted to play in locally.

After I had heard this story (slow night for pool boss) a few times I began to review my camera recordings against the computer readings. I correlated what I was seeing on my outside cameras that showed all eighteen tables in the room, against what I was reading on the computer. All the tables were being played on but I was not collecting money on two of them. Bingo! It took me a couple of hours to figure out what was happening but I caught him. The next day I took him in my office and confronted him. He denied everything. I told him I would show him on camera what he was doing and began to cue it up to the exact place where he was stealing. He stopped me, and then began to apologize.

Long story short. He got fired and I did not get a dime back that he had stolen from me. The funny thing is that I would see him from time to time at local pool tournaments and he would be all friendly to me, as if nothing had ever happened. He acted like we were still best buddies. Sometimes real life is very interesting don't you think.

I don't even want to get started telling stories about people I've loaned money too :oops:. All I will say is that the best way to lose a friend is to loan them money. In the end though I would rather be on my end of it then theirs!
People mistake kindness for weakness. So many just have zero class.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So based on the FB post, it looks like Archer is planning on trying again? I wonder if he lost the tables to the landlord. His room was the only GCc table room I've ever heard of. I wanted to get out there to play on them, but life got in the way...
Those GC bb's are made by Global. Nothing to write home about. If Archer finds another stakehorse for this they'll have to either be fkng stupid or in love with Archer's 'aura' of the old days.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Always had a hidden security camera over my bar and counter area. The employees did not know it was there. Also made sure to review the computer readings on a regular basis and compare it with what I am seeing on tape.

I found it particularly interesting that if I was gone on any weekend night our pool business was always off about 10%. My night manager would tell me, "Boss, it was just not as busy as normal." I caught him failing to enter on the computer two pool tables at the back of the room and doing all the other normal things; handing out the ball tray and taking a drivers license or credit card and putting it in the correct slot for that table. He would commit to memory the time they started and when they were finished he would charge them accordingly (at $10/hour). He would open the register and put the money he collected inside. He would go through the motions on the computer, but nothing got entered. All looks good on camera.

Later on the next time he made a transaction for food or drink sales, or pool time (on any other table) for that matter, he would remove the extra money he had put in the register earlier. He would just grab the twenty or thirty dollars and stuff it in his pocket when he walked away. He did this all night with two pool tables, and on a busy night like Friday or Saturday that might mean $60-80 on each table. So maybe about $125-150 he was pocketing on that night. He got away with this for a few months as I rarely took a weekend night off. But once in a while there would be an event that I wanted to attend or maybe a poker tournament I wanted to play in locally.

After I had heard this story (slow night for pool boss) a few times I began to review my camera recordings against the computer readings. I correlated what I was seeing on my outside cameras that showed all eighteen tables in the room, against what I was reading on the computer. All the tables were being played on but I was not collecting money on two of them. Bingo! It took me a couple of hours to figure out what was happening but I caught him. The next day I took him in my office and confronted him. He denied everything. I told him I would show him on camera what he was doing and began to cue it up to the exact place where he was stealing. He stopped me, and then began to apologize.

Long story short. He got fired and I did not get a dime back that he had stolen from me. The funny thing is that I would see him from time to time at local pool tournaments and he would be all friendly to me, as if nothing had ever happened. He acted like we were still best buddies. Sometimes real life is very interesting don't you think.

I don't even want to get started telling stories about people I've loaned money too :oops:. All I will say is that the best way to lose a friend is to loan them money. In the end though I would rather be on my end of it then theirs!

I once caught an employee taking winning scratch off's from our desk drawer and putting them back in the register and taking the cash.

Trust no one.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
People mistake kindness for weakness. So many just have zero class.
The inverse can also be true. One can also just as easily be both weak and mean. I do suppose Rhianna and Kanye have a point though.

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
Find someone to look at you the way Johnny looks at Pia Filler…

IMG_5343.jpeg

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On the flip side, Chattanooga Billiards Club(s) are really nice joints that have been in business for a long time. I believe Varner has or had a role in it
No Nick is a good long term friend of the owner but Phil has no partners in his business. It is probably one of the most successful pool rooms in the country and has been in business for a total of 42 years. And like most successful pool rooms pool is the entertainment and food and drink is the business.

Mark V

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No Nick is a good long term friend of the owner but Phil has no partners in his business. It is probably one of the most successful pool rooms in the country and has been in business for a total of 42 years. And like most successful pool rooms pool is the entertainment and food and drink is the business.
Thank you for that.

On Friday I drove the hour to CBC and shot for a few hours. At 4:30 it was already pretty packed with regulars. The GCIV I’ve been shooting on for 10 years still looks perfect. It looks like the cloth was changed last week, but then again it always looks that way.

It’s such a great room.

Sorry to derail the thread but CBC is an example on how to run a room.