Are Break Cues Worth It?

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I break with a sneaky pete with leather tip made by the same guy that made my playing cue. Nothing special done to it.

Mickey Qualls

You study the watch......
Silver Member
Even an inexpensive cue dedicated as a break cue is a huge benefit.

If you're looking for a house cue to break with, every time you go to the poolhall, what are the odds you'll use the exact same one ? Sure, you may find one that the weight is the same, but the tip(s), taper(s), straightness, and so on will be marginally different.

With your own break cue, you can 'become one with the cue' and not need to deal with inconsistencies between cues, but you can also learn what works and what doesn't in regards to your break shot.

Having your own break cue will eliminate a variable that can affect your mastering of the game.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I have 4 break cues. I like them all, and some I used on different tables. Valley, Diamond and Gold Crowns all get a different break cue. If I bought one and didn't like it, I never sold it. I kept it. And then found out some work better on other tables, at least for me.

My cheapest one was a $35 used one with no name, and my most expensive is a Mezz cue that was around $400 if I recall correctly. So, I have a mixed bag of breakers.

That was during the course of the last 15 years of playing. Before that, I was using a Burton Spain as my break cue. Yep, I didn't know it as a Spain cue, and had it since I was 15. But, since I bought a new cue, I made that my break cue.

When I figured out what I had, got it refinished and sold it. Too expensive to use that as a break cue. But damn, it was still the best break cue I ever had :)