Asking for a friend. What is the best cheaper Sneaky Pete to buy

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Players is made on same machines in same factory as Lucasi, ADAM, Predator. Very good cues just not as fancy as the others.
I thought I heard that before Garc , for the price I don’t see how you could go wrong and the grain in the butt wood is very nice. The shaft grain is nice and tight. It measures out to a 12.9 , I like a 12.5 myself but for how nice it is you could live with it. The butt is Cocobolo wood and I cannot see a single flaw.

lisasc1958

Players is made on same machines in same factory as Lucasi, ADAM, Predator. Very good cues just not as fancy as the others.

The butts may be around the same quality when comparing Players to Lucasi, but with the Lucasi, you get a much better playing shaft then you would with the Players.

Lucasi has the Zero Flex is much better then the stock shaft that would come with the Players sneaky pete.

The original question was, what is the best sneaky you can get for 2 to 3 hundred dollars. In my opinion, that would be a Joss or a Lucasi, for sneakies in that price range.

Lucasi Cue Sneaky Pete - Ozone Billiards

If the question were, what is the best sneaky that you could get for under $100, then the Players might be the best one for under a $100.

Players E5100 Exotic Pool Cue (seyberts.com)

I also believe that the Lucasi is a much nicer cue.

You get what you pay for, even if both cues are made in the same factory.

lisasc1958

coworker had a merry widow lucasi, it was well built and played good

but the players sp i have, theres no better built cue ive ever held, my mind wont be changed
perhaps i got lucky and got their best cue ever made

someone even wanted to buy it off me once for the grain lines in the shaft,
and the zebrawood is super nice in this one, its been complimented plenty of times

The fact is that you get a much better shaft with the Lucasi, which is a very nice LD Zero Flex shaft, makes it far better then the Players sneaky pete. The regular stock maple shaft that comes on the Players sneaky pete does not compare. The original question was not "Best sneaky cue for under $100". It was "Best sneaky cue for 2 to 3 Hundred", which would be a Lucasi, in my opinion, or a Joss, for non LD.

lisasc1958

For what it is worth , The Players Sneaky came in and it is a really nice cue. Very Beautiful Cocobolo wood that is very nice and the shaft is equal in niceness as well. The Cue is one of the Nicest sneakys I have seen in the price of admission. I have seen $ 500 sneakys that was not this nice. The points are straight and even and the stick feels really nice. He has not hit any balls with yet but plans to in the next day or 2. Players quality seems be spot on as far as looks and detail. I also like that when you put it together you have to look for the joint line , very nice indeed

For $500, you can get a Pat Diveney sneaky. For $500, you can get a very high quality custom, that is far higher quality then a Players. The Players sneaky is fine for a beginner though. For a good seasoned player though, they are going to want something better. You did say best in the 2-300 price range, and that would be a Lucasi or a Joss, in my opinion.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
The fact is that you get a much better shaft with the Lucasi, which is a very nice LD Zero Flex shaft, makes it far better then the Players sneaky pete. The regular stock maple shaft that comes on the Players sneaky pete does not compare. The original question was not "Best sneaky cue for under $100". It was "Best sneaky cue for 2 to 3 Hundred", which would be a Lucasi, in my opinion, or a Joss, for non LD.

I know plenty of players that do very well with a standard maple shaft,
It's not the shaft that makes the balls, it's the player

The diveney won't be far superior to my players, just because you pay hundreds upon hundred more, it won't make the balls for you I'm afraid

lisasc1958

I know plenty of players that do very well with a standard maple shaft,
It's not the shaft that makes the balls, it's the player

The diveney won't be far superior to my players, just because you pay hundreds upon hundred more, it won't make the balls for you I'm afraid

So, are you saying that some players prefer a Players sneaky pete cue, and would not want to switch to maybe a Lucasi Sneaky? The original question was, what is the best cue you can get for 2 to 3 hundred, and I believe that for that price range, the Lucasi would be the best choice.

For a beginner, they are not going to know or care about the difference between a Lucasi and a Players, but I think that most seasoned players would prefer a Lucasi over a Players, for the feel and hit that the Lucasi offers.

The Diveney is on another level, in my opinion. Amazing feel and hit of their cues.

I am also not saying that any good player could not play just fine with a Players. I am just saying that I imagine they would prefer a Lucasi over a Players, if those were their 2 choices.

Again, the OP asked what the best cue you could buy for 2-300.

If the question were, what is the best quality sneaky that you could get for around a $100, then I think I would recommend this Schmelke, because at least it is made in the USA.

Schmelke SCHM02 Sneaky Pete Cue (pooldawg.com)

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
So, are you saying that some players prefer a Players sneaky pete cue, and would not want to switch to maybe a Lucasi Sneaky? The original question was, what is the best cue you can get for 2 to 3 hundred, and I believe that for that price range, the Lucasi would be the best choice.

For a beginner, they are not going to know or care about the difference between a Lucasi and a Players, but I think that most seasoned players would prefer a Lucasi over a Players, for the feel and hit that the Lucasi offers.

The Diveney is on another level, in my opinion. Amazing feel and hit of their cues.

I am also not saying that any good player could not play just fine with a Players. I am just saying that I imagine they would prefer a Lucasi over a Players, if those were their 2 choices.

Again, the OP asked what the best cue you could buy for 2-300.

If the question were, what is the best quality sneaky that you could get for around a $100, then I think I would recommend this Schmelke, because at least it is made in the USA.

Schmelke SCHM02 Sneaky Pete Cue (pooldawg.com)

as I've said I tried a lucasi my coworker had
, it did about the same as the players, one isn't better than the other it's just preference , about the diveney, hit and feel is also preference, not one I'm wanting/needing to pay 600 plus for,
I don't much notice a difference in hit from the gilbert or the treadway or any other cue custom or production I've had
so my preference is something that's cheap,that i don't have to worry about if it gets dinged or scratched and
plays as well for me as any big name expensive cue I've played with
And as I've stated the schmelkes I've had didn't pass the Pepsi challenge compared to the players I have,
Which is why I'm so impressed with the thing and why I'll back it over anything

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You might consider having someone just beginning make you one.

In 1990, I wanted to get a break cue to use in the pool hall but, one that would also work as a player in bars. I played at Cue & Cushion in Houston, and there was a guy who I only knew as "Tow Boy" who played there some. He was about the size of an NFL lineman. He heard me and said he could make that cue for me. I paid $100, maybe a little less.

By the mid-1990s, I had to choose between my career and pool, so my Richard Blacks and others went to storage, where they remained until this year when I got my new Diamond. I have to say that Sneaky Pete was a great player over the years when I could get to a bar, and it plays just as good on the 9' Diamond with new pool balls. I won't every let that one go!

SP01.jpg
SP02.jpg

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You might consider having someone just beginning make you one.

In 1990, I wanted to get a break cue to use in the pool hall but, one that would also work as a player in bars. I played at Cue & Cushion in Houston, and there was a guy who I only knew as "Tow Boy" who played there some. He was about the size of an NFL lineman. He heard me and said he could make that cue for me. I paid $100, maybe a little less.

By the mid-1990s, I had to choose between my career and pool, so my Richard Blacks and others went to storage, where they remained until this year when I got my new Diamond. I have to say that Sneaky Pete was a great player over the years when I could get to a bar, and it plays just as good on the 9' Diamond with new pool balls. I won't every let that one go!

View attachment 579202View attachment 579203
That looks real nice!!

Did you ever visit the place in Houston over near Humble that sold cues and tables upstairs and had the cool classic cars down stairs for sale? I ask because we bought a cue upstairs for my lady friend from there and the guy gave us some cards for free pool at Cue and Cushion.

Fore Rail

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take a look at the 1811 Uni-Loc cues sold by Seyberts. Can be had for $398.00 with choice of Predator shaft.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That looks real nice!!

Did you ever visit the place in Houston over near Humble that sold cues and tables upstairs and had the cool classic cars down stairs for sale? I ask because we bought a cue upstairs for my lady friend from there and the guy gave us some cards for free pool at Cue and Cushion.
Unfortunately, no, but if I had been aware, I’d have been there because I love classic cars, also. Sonny owned Cue and Cushion and could have been an investor there. He drove a nice custom classic.

lisasc1958

as I've said I tried a lucasi my coworker had
, it did about the same as the players, one isn't better than the other it's just preference , about the diveney, hit and feel is also preference, not one I'm wanting/needing to pay 600 plus for,
I don't much notice a difference in hit from the gilbert or the treadway or any other cue custom or production I've had
so my preference is something that's cheap,that i don't have to worry about if it gets dinged or scratched and
plays as well for me as any big name expensive cue I've played with
And as I've stated the schmelkes I've had didn't pass the Pepsi challenge compared to the players I have,
Which is why I'm so impressed with the thing and why I'll back it over anything

My 1st cue was a Players, and I liked it. Then I had a Joss sneaky, and I loved it more then any other sneaky I ever owned.

I take back what I said before.

For 2-300, I would choose the Joss sneaky. Dan Janes of Joss builds a really great hitting cue, and for under $300, I feel that is the best cue available. Just my opinion.
I have a friend who is starting out in playing and what’s to buy a decent cheaper sneaky Pete to play while he is learning. One that will play good but cost 2-300. I recommend Players and maybe Action but that was back in the day as I do not know to much about them now. What do you recommend. I have seen some on eBay cheap but don’t know if they are any good. Players used to make a real good cue for the price and I have been told that players and action cues come out the same factory. Thanks for any help. I know some of you know cues pretty good and would steer him right

I would like to add that the Players is probably much better quality then the Action.
Here's one nobody ever talks about. Mueller's # 20-720 Hustler professional bar cue. $140. A very nice sneaky.

That one looks very nice. Says it is made in the USA, by Mueller's.

Hustler Professional Bar Cue – 20-720 - Mueller's Billiard & Dart Supplies