Ball polishers

Geosnookery

Dishwasher and a touch of vinegar. No soap. They come out sparkling clean.

The poolhalls I play at wash in a bucket and rinse in a sink. No issues as balls are always clean.

At home I don’t want polished balls with some type of substance on them. My table cloth is as good as new after a dozen years. I’m fastidious about lightly brushing it and keeping all substances off.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When Jay Helfert and I were buying and selling pool tables & balls about 10-12 years ago I got a Diamond ball polisher.

I’ve said it before and will say it again. If everything in life worked as good as that thing-there would be no wars.

It’s the stone cold nuts, I ran 100’s of sets of old banged up balls through it and my own at home(they got 10-15hours a day in play) for a couple years. Never had a issue once. I’m not a Diamond fan boy either. Give me a GC 8 days a week. But the ball polisher is the nuts. Mine now finally need the carpet in it changed-it still is ok just a bit slower.

chenjy9

I was about to buy a ball polisher and then I spent that money on a new custom Sneaky Pete from Jerry Powers. It remains to be seen if my priorities were wrong.

Al Spez

I work with the owners of our local room and have a table in my house. Bought a Diamond ball cleaner/polisher for home use this past summer from Manning Cues. Cost was $500 + $130 shipping--shipping varies from state to state. I got the unit that cleans 9 balls at a time. Cleaning balls by hand is time consuming and miserable. My table is in use 4-5 hours a day every day of the week so I need to clean the balls once a week (lots of practice/drills and I use inexpensive chalk that makes a mess on the balls and table). A very small drop of Aramith ball cleaner on each of two balls -- nothing on the other 6 -- produces 8 glistening balls in two minutes. Heath Manning produced an excellent video showing how to use the thing. You can find it on YouTube at
or by searching YouTube for "Diamond Ball Polisher - What's in the Box? How to use it correctly from within Diamonds Factory." All the info you might want in about 8 minutes.

Diamond sells a larger unit that cleans a full rack (16) balls in a single go (as little as 2 minutes if the balls are only dirty; 5 minutes if you're trying to restore them). Cleaning balls by hand in a 20-table pool hall would take somewhere between 10 and 20 hours. With the Diamond ball cleaner, that job would take about 45 minutes and, in all likelihood, do a better job than a person with a bottle of cleaner and a microfiber towel. Apart from that, you can quickly run all of the balls in the machine to buff them up between cleanings (no cleaning liquid; dry buffing) for league play or other special events. Finally, clean balls (balls without that fine abrasive we call chalk) save owners money in two ways: (1) the cloth on tables will suffer less wear and last longer; and, (2) balls will remain perfectly spherical longer and not have to be replaced as often. With Simonis 860 for a 9-ft table selling for around $370 or more and Aramis tournament balls at $350-$400, owners might want to take a hard look at spending the money for a Diamond ball cleaner/polisher.

One last point--I happened to see at least one other thread from some time ago where forum members suggested using Turtle Wax and other substances to bring back the shine of new balls. I'd stick with Aramis ball cleaner and the restorer, a separate product. They are specifically designed for phenolic resin balls, the balls we all use. Also, wax and other slippery materials applied to balls do not conform to the WPA Rules. See, WPA Rule 16:

16. Balls and Ball Rack​

All balls must be composed of cast phenolic resin plastic and measure 2 ¼ (+.005) inches [5.715 cm (+ .127 mm)] in diameter and weigh 5 ½ to 6 oz [156 to 170 gms]. Balls should be unpolished, and should also not be waxed. Balls should be cleaned with a towel or cloth free of dirt and dust, and may also be washed with soap and water. Balls contaminated with any slippery substance – treated with a polishing or rubbing compound and/or waxed – must be cleansed and dewaxed with a clean cloth moistened with diluted alcohol before play.

I'm having a problem reaching the Aramith website tonight, but my recollection is that their cleaner does not require cleaning or dewaxing with diluted alcohol before being put in play. If anyone can get on the website and see whether I'm right or wrong about that, please let me know.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I work with the owners of our local room and have a table in my house. Bought a Diamond ball cleaner/polisher for home use this past summer from Manning Cues. Cost was $500 + $130 shipping--shipping varies from state to state. I got the unit that cleans 9 balls at a time. Cleaning balls by hand is time consuming and miserable. My table is in use 4-5 hours a day every day of the week so I need to clean the balls once a week (lots of practice/drills and I use inexpensive chalk that makes a mess on the balls and table). A very small drop of Aramith ball cleaner on each of two balls -- nothing on the other 6 -- produces 8 glistening balls in two minutes. Heath Manning produced an excellent video showing how to use the thing. You can find it on YouTube at
or by searching YouTube for "Diamond Ball Polisher - What's in the Box? How to use it correctly from within Diamonds Factory." All the info you might want in about 8 minutes.

Diamond sells a larger unit that cleans a full rack (16) balls in a single go (as little as 2 minutes if the balls are only dirty; 5 minutes if you're trying to restore them). Cleaning balls by hand in a 20-table pool hall would take somewhere between 10 and 20 hours. With the Diamond ball cleaner, that job would take about 45 minutes and, in all likelihood, do a better job than a person with a bottle of cleaner and a microfiber towel. Apart from that, you can quickly run all of the balls in the machine to buff them up between cleanings (no cleaning liquid; dry buffing) for league play or other special events. Finally, clean balls (balls without that fine abrasive we call chalk) save owners money in two ways: (1) the cloth on tables will suffer less wear and last longer; and, (2) balls will remain perfectly spherical longer and not have to be replaced as often. With Simonis 860 for a 9-ft table selling for around $370 or more and Aramis tournament balls at $350-$400, owners might want to take a hard look at spending the money for a Diamond ball cleaner/polisher.

One last point--I happened to see at least one other thread from some time ago where forum members suggested using Turtle Wax and other substances to bring back the shine of new balls. I'd stick with Aramis ball cleaner and the restorer, a separate product. They are specifically designed for phenolic resin balls, the balls we all use. Also, wax and other slippery materials applied to balls do not conform to the WPA Rules. See, WPA Rule 16:

16. Balls and Ball Rack​

All balls must be composed of cast phenolic resin plastic and measure 2 ¼ (+.005) inches [5.715 cm (+ .127 mm)] in diameter and weigh 5 ½ to 6 oz [156 to 170 gms]. Balls should be unpolished, and should also not be waxed. Balls should be cleaned with a towel or cloth free of dirt and dust, and may also be washed with soap and water. Balls contaminated with any slippery substance – treated with a polishing or rubbing compound and/or waxed – must be cleansed and dewaxed with a clean cloth moistened with diluted alcohol before play.

I'm having a problem reaching the Aramith website tonight, but my recollection is that their cleaner does not require cleaning or dewaxing with diluted alcohol before being put in play. If anyone can get on the website and see whether I'm right or wrong about that, please let me know.

Don't need to do anything like that. Nothing in Aramith that requires doing that. Never been to any event where 'dewaxing' and wiping with alcohol was done. Ever. I wouldn't sweat this.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
the new owner of a new room in town was looking for a used ball cleaner
i donated my bludworth ball cleaner to my pool room in exchange for pool time
works great has at least 10 years on it
i bought a new one for myself

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dishwasher and a touch of vinegar. No soap. They come out sparkling clean.

The poolhalls I play at wash in a bucket and rinse in a sink. No issues as balls are always clean.

At home I don’t want polished balls with some type of substance on them. My table cloth is as good as new after a dozen years. I’m fastidious about lightly brushing it and keeping all substances off.
Only one thing belongs in a dishwasher and it isn't pool balls.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only one thing belongs in a dishwasher and it isn't pool balls.
Ive seen a set that came out of a d'washer. All the shiny was GONE. Just a dull, flat finish. I tried to tell the guy not to but he did anyway. Why people do this shit is beyond me.

speedi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a room owner, but I do have a table and 2 sets of balls. I am curious however... I have always cleaned and polished my pool balls by hand and will admit that it takes a while. Would a polisher be worth investing in?
They are so easy and inexpensive to make, it doesn't make sense to spend hundreds of dollars on one. Several good posts on you tube with all the details you will need. I have made several for my own use and for friends. Your biggest expense is an inexpensive buffer (for example Ryobi) that you can buy at the big box store for less than $30. I hope you try it. It will be well worth your time.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you think about a polisher know the Diamond polisher is great....but pricy. Also when the sprockets go bad and the carpets go bad everyone that sells replacements charges 120 bucks plus 20 shipping.
That's a rip off.
Bought a replacement set every 10 -12 months fir 4 years.
Easy $1,100 total including the machine.