Ball Size - What a Difference

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Goofy thread to start, but I found my old set of Aramiths I used to play English Billiards when I lived in New Zealand and Australia for a few years.

Threw 'em on the Gabriels and WOW, what a difference! I sure didn't think they were so small at the time I was using them every day ...

Attachments

• diff.JPG
    diff.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Goofy thread to start, but I found my old set of Aramiths I used to play English Billiards when I lived in New Zealand and Australia for a few years.

Threw 'em on the Gabriels and WOW, what a difference! I sure didn't think they were so small at the time I was using them every day ...

English billiards is played on what we now call a snooker table but originally was just called, by the English, a billiard table, so I always assumed that the ball size for English billiards was the same as snooker. And if so, yeah, the size difference with carom balls is huge.

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, you're 100% that they are snooker-sized and used on a snooker table.

I didn't mention it but should have.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, you're 100% that they are snooker-sized and used on a snooker table.

I didn't mention it but should have.

Snooker balls have a diameter of 52.5 mm while carom balls are 61.5 mm. So a carom ball is 17% bigger, as measured by diameter. But even more, since volume is proportional to the cube of the radius, assuming they are both made of materials with same density, a carom ball's weight will be about 60% more than the snooker ball.