Banking: Difference between Double the Diamond and The Beard's Dead Banks

Double the diamond method says if your cueball is at the 2nd diamond, you aim through the 1st diamond.

The Beard says if your cueball is through the 2nd diamond, you aim through the .75 diamond.

The Beard says to shoot his shot hard, which should make the bank shorter, which is why both methods work.

I don't know why I'm posting this, I guess I'm just wondering if there is anything else to know about why the two methods are different.

I never realized this in my mind, but a given OB position has several "dead banks" depending on the speed you use.

I'll go back to sleep now.
 
See.... When I actually talk about something serious........ no replies.

The only way I can get the board to talk is to make up ridiculous 8-ball scenarios. And then they yell at me for making them up.

Thanks!
 
Double the diamond method says if your cueball is at the 2nd diamond, you aim through the 1st diamond.

The Beard says if your cueball is through the 2nd diamond, you aim through the .75 diamond.

The Beard says to shoot his shot hard, which should make the bank shorter, which is why both methods work.

I don't know why I'm posting this, I guess I'm just wondering if there is anything else to know about why the two methods are different.

I never realized this in my mind, but a given OB position has several "dead banks" depending on the speed you use.

I'll go back to sleep now.

Are you saying both methods start with the cue ball in the same place?

Best,
Mike
 
I think Freddy suggests banking hard for two reasons.

1) The shorter angle to the side pocket makes the effective pocket size larger.

2) Speed Kills. It kills spin and rail effects from table to table.

Both methods will work. Funny thing about this question is, Freddy talked about this very same thing with me in the AZ room at Derby this week.

Sometimes you have to shoot the softer, wider angle bank for cue ball control.
 
No No.

Both these shots have different "lines" if you will. The OB and CB will be adjusted slightly so that they are both on the aiming line.


The Double Diamond system will tell you that a "dead bank" is a line from the 2nd diamond through the 1st diamond.

The Beard's dead bank is on a line from the 2nd diamond through the .75 diamond. Beard says to hit this shot hard.

In both these shots, you just place the cueball down so it's a full ball hit.
 
No No.

Both these shots have different "lines" if you will. The OB and CB will be adjusted slightly so that they are both on the aiming line.


The Double Diamond system will tell you that a "dead bank" is a line from the 2nd diamond through the 1st diamond.

The Beard's dead bank is on a line from the 2nd diamond through the .75 diamond. Beard says to hit this shot hard.

In both these shots, you just place the cueball down so it's a full ball hit.


I see the idea of the full ball hit. My question is not about that. In your post you say the first bank is at the second diamond and the second shot is through the second diamond. This is a difference of about an inch or so for a starting point. I was wondering if the different starting points figured into the shot also with this in mind?
 
Double diamond only works at pocket speed and you lose most of your cueball control. Also the systems are a reference point because as you add more variables for playing position you must adjust from the beginning reference.
 
Roll it and it takes more of a angle in, angle out. Hit it hard, which shortens the bank, and you need to aim a quarter diamond long to compensate for the rail straightening out the bank.

Makes sense to me. Walt Harris's billiards books have systems that are based on shortening shots by hitting them harder to straighten the angles.

You can also check out Jack Koehler's book "Science of Pocket Billiards" which has charts of how much shots will shorten up based on the angle the ball hits the rail.

Good luck.
 
Double the diamond method says if your cueball is at the 2nd diamond, you aim through the 1st diamond.

The Beard says if your cueball is through the 2nd diamond, you aim through the .75 diamond.
First, it's important to distinguish between aiming "through" the diamond vs. "across" from the diamond. For explanations and demonstrations, see:

For rolling kicks and banks, the equal-distance through-diamond system works well:

For fast-speed banks, the 1/3-diamond-more across-diamond system works fairly well:

Fast speed offers several advantages:

I hope this stuff helps.

Regards,
Dave
 
First, it's important to distinguish between aiming "through" the diamond vs. "across" from the diamond. For explanations and demonstrations, see:

For rolling kicks and banks, the equal-distance through-diamond system works well:

For fast-speed banks, the 1/3-diamond-more across-diamond system works fairly well:

Fast speed offers several advantages:

I hope this stuff helps.

Regards,
Dave

Thank you for the help. I am aware of the big difference between aiming through the diamond, and opposite the diamond. I was just careless in my wording.

By the way Dr. Dave, you have the most amazing demonstrations.
 
Back
Top