Be careful what you wish for!

tom mcgonagle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, pool players out there, you want to be as good as anyone planet. So you search and search looking for a way to get to the top.

Are you really sure your ready for the top. Remember the Maytag Repair Man, I do. He was lonely.

That's what happens in the game of pool, "You become a very lonely person. Nobody wants to play you."

It's not as bad as it used to be. Thank God for tournament play. But really, "How many top players out there are making a real good living?" Not that many.

"And how long does that last? If they get on a good roll? Maybe, the very best of them. Twenty years max."

"I'm sorry but there's not that great of a future in the game. Never has been and maybe never will be. It's sad commentary."

"Of course, if everyone just gives up, then the game will never go anywhere. And that would also SUCK." So we're dammed we do and dammed if we don't."

I just though this might open your eyes. I was lucky enough to hold a full time job for close to forty years yet still compete at a very high level at a game I loved playing. I used it as a part time job. Lucky me. I got to do something I loved, to do, and got paid, no guarantees, but I did well. Of course it helped having a steady job and income.

I also spent many hours twiddling my thumbs.

Weigh everything in your head and figure it out. Am I better off just playing at the level your at or a little better.

Like I said, "It's lonely at the top."


_________________________________________

http://tommcgonaglerightoncue.com
 
Last edited:
Tommy needs a hug! My game has gotten worse but I have more friends now! :)
 
Jason, I don't need a hug. I'll just do what every one else does. I'll take the seven-ball. That would make me feel so much better.

Maniac, You're absolutely right. I should, and I do, feel very fortunate to play and to have played at such a high level. I'll explain in a minute.

Mikjary, the only reason your missing is because your mind is on the girl with the Cubs shirt on. I wouldn't make a ball looking at her.

So why did I start this thread?

Yesterday I found out they were going to have an invitational tournament in my local room. One of my friends asked if I would be invited to play. He got a blunt answer of no.

It just brought back all of my memories of going from room to room and being treated as if I were a leper when I asked people to play. I guess it goes with the territory. I accept my fate. The price of being a good pool player................................. PRICELESS!
 
Great thread, I am the king of frogs in my pond...what is the since of being number one, if you are the only one ? just kidding ..lol
Well now that I think of it..maybe not
 
Jason, I don't need a hug. I'll just do what every one else does. I'll take the seven-ball. That would make me feel so much better.

Maniac, You're absolutely right. I should, and I do, feel very fortunate to play and to have played at such a high level. I'll explain in a minute.

Mikjary, the only reason your missing is because your mind is on the girl with the Cubs shirt on. I wouldn't make a ball looking at her.

So why did I start this thread?

Yesterday I found out they were going to have an invitational tournament in my local room. One of my friends asked if I would be invited to play. He got a blunt answer of no.

It just brought back all of my memories of going from room to room and being treated as if I were a leper when I asked people to play. I guess it goes with the territory. I accept my fate. The price of being a good pool player................................. PRICELESS!

Love it !! Priceless indeed
 
Back
Top