Best break cue

Flakeandrun

I quite like my LiSi (Mr. Lee's) break cue - weight, speed through the ball and flex - all working well (especially for Chinese 8, 10-ball)

But I find it a bit of a weapon with MR break format in 9ball, also (to a lesser extent) when playing 1 on the spot. Anything not hitting the rack head on, and it becomes as predictable as British summer weather...

Any recommendations on a break cue that doesn't break the bank? Mezz Powerbreak Kai or Powerbreak 2 is a decent price on second hand apps here, but I am open to any suggestions.

Chapman tim

I quite like my LiSi (Mr. Lee's) break cue - weight, speed through the ball and flex - all working well (especially for Chinese 8, 10-ball)

But I find it a bit of a weapon with MR break format in 9ball, also (to a lesser extent) when playing 1 on the spot. Anything not hitting the rack head on, and it becomes as predictable as British summer weather...

Any recommendations on a break cue that doesn't break the bank? Mezz Powerbreak Kai or Powerbreak 2 is a decent price on second hand apps here, but I am open to any suggestions.
Do you use a phenolic or more traditional tip on your LiSi?

Flakeandrun

Do you use a phenolic or more traditional tip on your LiSi?
It's a phenolic tip - it's the one with the striped shaft (looks garish, hits the rack nice for full ball breaking - cut breaks... it's a wild animal - which after using a few friends break cues, I determine it's definitely the tool and not the workman)

Reducing the power on cut breaks doesn't get enough balls up past the headstring. so I am thinking something that flexes less would be better for formats requiring this?

I actually don't know much about the physics of breaking the balls. Just what has worked for me. Full ball for Chinese 8/8/10ball and I am happy with it there - cut break for 9 on the spot, or full in the face from the side 1 on the spot... It's 9-ball I'm having the main issue with this cue for breaking.

NathanDetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For league, I use a Sledgehammer. Phenolic works fine. But, for control on the break, I think the Sai from Kamui works great.

I got an Avid shaft in a deal here, and I put a Sai on it to see how it would work as a breaker. Much more control

Flakeandrun

your own playing cue will give you the most accurate hit. so if not needing to power break then using your playing cue is fine.
Agree. I've tried this, to get the power to put the balls past the headstring makes me feel uneasy about the lifespan of my tips and the health of the joint/shaft of my cue. I like tips on the soft side for playing.

Flakeandrun

For league, I use a Sledgehammer. Phenolic works fine. But, for control on the break, I think the Sai from Kamui works great.

I got an Avid shaft in a deal here, and I put a Sai on it to see how it would work as a breaker. Much more control
Will look into the tip. Thanks for the tip too. :ROFLMAO:

stewie

Agree. I've tried this, to get the power to put the balls past the headstring makes me feel uneasy about the lifespan of my tips and the health of the joint/shaft of my cue. I like tips on the soft side for playing.
your own playing cue will give you the most accurate hit. so if not needing to power break then using your playing cue is fine.
JJ cues has break shafts for 40 bucks. They have a "break taper" and some tip choices. I put them on cheap, regular butts and played around with weight and tips.

I now have the same weight, balance point as my player plus a samsara Break Tip. I like it a lot.

But it's a rabbit hole. At one point you have to stop worrying about the stick and practice. It's you shooting the ball. Your cue is not breaking or shooting on its own.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Bumping this for opinions/preferences on break tips.
The tip on my cf break cue does not hold chalk well and the hit it nothing special.
I have no idea what tip came on the cue but it's extremely hard.
I'm looking to swap it out but there are too many out there from which to choose and I am not familiar with any of them.
My main game is big table rotation if that is anything to consider.
Thanks in advance for any input shared.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

House cue. I just pick one off the wall. Never use the same one twice. Works for me.

NathanDetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bumping this for opinions/preferences on break tips.
The tip on my cf break cue does not hold chalk well and the hit it nothing special.
I have no idea what tip came on the cue but it's extremely hard.
I'm looking to swap it out but there are too many out there from which to choose and I am not familiar with any of them.
My main game is big table rotation if that is anything to consider.
Thanks in advance for any input shared.
If your tip won't hold chalk, I have found Kamui . 98 works on phenolic.

The best tip for control and hit imo is the Kamui Sai. I use the .98 on it, too In my bar box leagues, I have at least one 9ball break of five balls each of the last three weeks. And, my second ball break in eight ball no longer scratches (well not much) while regularly making three balls.

Flakeandrun

After trying a lot of different cues, what I have found is...
I still use the LiSi cue for 8/10 ball...
I picked up a Mezz PB Kai for cheap...
It's an absolute weapon on the 9ball break...
I am very happy with it!

I tried various iterations of BK/BKrush, PB/PB2, Stinger, Sledgehammer, 'Thor's Hammer' and using house cues...

PB Kai, with DI2 shaft... Perfect length, thickness, feel, and the contact with the white has hard, but somewhat rubber like quality/feeling, that almost feels like it's adding impetus to the ball. Really like it.

Did take me a little while to work it out, but it felt great 'hit' from the off. I tried it for 8/10 ball, and it works suitably, I am just really happy with the LiSi and have good success with it in those formats already (hitting head ball and squatting the white - I'm sinking 2/3 balls a go with a nice shape on the WB)

DeeDeeCues

serious benefits to using your playing cue, worth a try for most

I don't know about serious benefits other than not having to carry and keep track of another cue. I've never owned a break cue, used a few that friends had, but never felt they were worth having. But then, I'm the same with jump cues.