Best Golfer Amongst Pro Pool Players?

PROG8R

Gator Nation
Silver Member
BRKNRUN said:
Right...The jist of what I was getting at though is there are some people that can play very well from the up tees...

Say for example a guy plays from the up tees with a course rating of 68 and shoots the enough the combination of scores (with enough 68s) to get a 0 handicapp...The other guy that plays from the back with a course rating of 72 shoots enough 72s to get a 0 handicapp.....both carry a 0 handicapp card...Likely the guy that always plays from the up tees won't be able to maintain a 0 handicap from the back because they have only mastered using the shorter irons...

Interestinly though...I have also seen golfers that actually shoot worse scores from the up tees than they do from the back tees...

Kind of similar in a way to players that only play bar box vs 9-foot...or 9-foot vs bar box.

This isnt a rare thing. I shoot better on the majority of the courses from the back tees. It isnt a distance thing with me (or the majority of decent hitters). The back tees will a lot of the times afford a full shot into the greens instead of trying to make a shot. I have also found that the back tees are often times back far enough for me to either cut a corner (having enough distance to get her up) or enough room to work the ball around an obstacle.

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
PROG8R said:
This isnt a rare thing. I shoot better on the majority of the courses from the back tees. It isnt a distance thing with me (or the majority of decent hitters). The back tees will a lot of the times afford a full shot into the greens instead of trying to make a shot. I have also found that the back tees are often times back far enough for me to either cut a corner (having enough distance to get her up) or enough room to work the ball around an obstacle.

Im the exact opposite. I'm not very long off the tee by better golfer standards. I probably average 275 so I stuggle a bit from all the way back on longer courses (7000+). I can work the ball both ways so I use a variety of shots from 65-6800 yard courses. My only saving grace on monster courses is the fact that I hit my 3 and 4 woods like Tiger hits his 3 iron. Its referred to as "butter" around these parts, lol.

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
BRKNRUN said:
Right...The jist of what I was getting at though is there are some people that can play very well from the up tees...

Say for example a guy plays from the up tees with a course rating of 68 and shoots the enough the combination of scores (with enough 68s) to get a 0 handicapp...The other guy that plays from the back with a course rating of 72 shoots enough 72s to get a 0 handicapp.....both carry a 0 handicapp card...Likely the guy that always plays from the up tees won't be able to maintain a 0 handicap from the back because they have only mastered using the shorter irons...

Interestinly though...I have also seen golfers that actually shoot worse scores from the up tees than they do from the back tees...

Kind of similar in a way to players that only play bar box vs 9-foot...or 9-foot vs bar box.

I have a friend who won't play any course over 6500 y (he's VERY consistant with his driver - but hits it 230-240 tops). I usually HATE 330-370ish par 4's - I've learned to hit hybrids of the tee on 'em, and problem solved. Give me 6800-7200 anyday!!! I'm not HUGE off the tee, but carry the ball 280ish (so on a firm course I can get it out there 320 sometimes). I'd much rather have 90 yards left than 30-60....My 2iron Halo (19 degree)is usually right on par with his driver. I guess I should change what's under my name to read - I'm better with a full wedge. :D

senor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
corvette1340 said:
I enjoy playing with Gabe. He will gamble and is a great guy on top of that. Another of my good friends Brian White has been playing lately with Gabe and some others around Greenville. Do you play with that group?

No, he was in H-town for a week.

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
I don't know squat about golf rating systems, but a friend said that Tiger would be something like a freakin +12 or something ridiculous from the blue tees at his course if he played there.

Has anyone ever bothered to apply his (Tiger's) rating to their home course to see what it predicts he'd shoot?

Not really related, but I think a guy shot a 55 in Houston decades ago and that is the lowest score anyone has shot for 18 holes. Homero Blanco or something like that? I wonder just how low a guy like Tiger could go on a simple course from the whites.

BPG24

Banned
corvette1340 said:
I'm gonna show a little gamble here and take 4 a side from anyone that has posted or is listed in this thread. Let me know.

8 strokes!!! Jeez man

Thats alot of weight unless you are about an 18 handicap. Playing a really tough, long course with extremely fast greens may even it up some but damn!

I don't have an official handicap :D but normally shoot in the high 70's on most courses. Haven't broken par in almost 2 years, mainly due to work and my bad back but even if I was playing alot I wouldn't give up 8 strokes. Anything can happen on a golf course. I have seen pro's shoot 83 on an average course. The golf God's are a funny bunch

BPG24

Banned
trustyrusty said:
I have a friend who won't play any course over 6500 y (he's VERY consistant with his driver - but hits it 230-240 tops). I usually HATE 330-370ish par 4's - I've learned to hit hybrids of the tee on 'em, and problem solved. Give me 6800-7200 anyday!!! I'm not HUGE off the tee, but carry the ball 280ish (so on a firm course I can get it out there 320 sometimes). I'd much rather have 90 yards left than 30-60....My 2iron Halo (19 degree)is usually right on par with his driver. I guess I should change what's under my name to read - I'm better with a full wedge. :D

I will take the 8 strokes that corvette is asking for... :p :D

just kidding, but i will still let you know if i can get up that way this summer. Work is slow right now so I will have to do some saving. (or quit buying new cues and clubs) :)

You mention something in your post that most amateurs never learn... Course management!!! You hitting that hybrid instead of the driver is the same thing as playing shapes for the next ball in pool. I try to teach my buddies this kind of stuff but they don't want to listen

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
BPG24 said:
I will take the 8 strokes that corvette is asking for... :p :D

just kidding, but i will still let you know if i can get up that way this summer. Work is slow right now so I will have to do some saving. (or quit buying new cues and clubs) :)

You mention something in your post that most amateurs never learn... Course management!!! You hitting that hybrid instead of the driver is the same thing as playing shapes for the next ball in pool. I try to teach my buddies this kind of stuff but they don't want to listen

I'll give your avatar 8 strokes (maybe even more ;) ), but for me to give up that many strokes to anyone is tough (I'm not talking about 100+ shooters, but you know what I mean). Can't believe you are trying to ROB me even after what I thought was pretty generous offers :D

memikey

Never Has Been
Silver Member
corvette1340 said:
I'm gonna show a little gamble here and take 4 a side from anyone that has posted or is listed in this thread. Let me know.

You can take the gambler out of the pool hall, but you can't take........:)

jjn7612

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All I can promise is after the phone call I got this debate can go straight through Inola, OK. If you want details just PM me. Just plan on bringing the cash and getting ready to play.

jwilliams

Lapsus calami!
Silver Member
What about John Horsfall?

I remember hearing a few years back that he was playing both pool and golf professionally...obviously I could have heard wrong, or that it was just misinformation...but I was definitely under the impression that he had played some on the PGA Tour and he was definitely a force to be reckoned with on a pool table, winning a few pro tournaments as I recall. Does anyone know anything more about this or him? True/False? Just curious...

memikey

Never Has Been
Silver Member
John Horsfall is certainly still playing some pool as he has played in Stan James Tour events in Canada this year. As regards golf, have no idea, but can't recall him being on the PGA Tour.