Best Pool Gadget Ever: The New Apple iPod "Touch"

FastMikie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fedex just delivered my new Apple iPod "Touch" model,
(the one with the touch screen, no buttons)

I just got it running on a wireless internet connection (WiFi)
and, being a pool addict, here's the first things I did:

1. I connected it to YouTube, so I could watch pool videos
from my Touch, taking advantage of the new wide screen. AWESOME!

2. I checked it out to see if it would display my
Diary of a Pool Shooter blog (http://FastMikie.com)
and it shows up ok, but not perfect.

3. And, of course it works with AZ Billiards site too.
This thing is WAY cool.

4. It also does my email (Gmail).

5. I have also sync'd it with my music and photo library, of course.
And that includes my self-hypnosis tracks for use
before and between matches.

This thing opens up new worlds!

Check out the Guided Tour for the Apple iPod "Touch" click here

And, let me know how you are using yours!

bigskyjake

you heard the man
Silver Member
i guess i may be a little behind the times :D

sony_wm_fx323_tape_radio_walkman.jpg

old-cell-4.jpg69db54d8-0f85-4382-93a4-fc0f44b45e08Large.jpg

ScottW

Fo' shizzle!
Silver Member
I suck. I only have a lowly iPhone.

Oh wait... :D

Yah, the web browser on those things is amazing for being jammed into such a tiny device. The main thing it's lacking is Flash support, and that's supposedly in the works.

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
Rather than using it to connect to youtube, even better would be to store some of your top pool shots (videos or stills), lessons, kicking systems etc and have them on hand.

Drew

Got a little dog in you?
Silver Member
bigskyjake said:
i guess i may be a little behind the times :D

sony_wm_fx323_tape_radio_walkman.jpg

old-cell-4.jpg69db54d8-0f85-4382-93a4-fc0f44b45e08Large.jpg

IT'S THE BRICK!!!!! I've been wanting this phone for years. They need to bring it back!!

bigskyjake

you heard the man
Silver Member
Drew said:
IT'S THE BRICK!!!!! I've been wanting this phone for years. They need to bring it back!!

You're damn straight, if I get into a fight I want to be confident in the fact that I can stone roll some ass with my cell phone:D :D

FastMikie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I totally agree with the idea of storing pool shot videos on the iPod.
I just haven't got around to that part of it yet.
There was a problem with the previous iPods doing video clips.
They had to be reformatted into special Apple format.
Weird.

It will all go away when Flash comes to iPod.

AuntyDan

/* Insert skill here */
Silver Member
If they get Flash/Shockwave on it presumably you could use the WEI table system to store shots for reference? Alternatively I'm sure something could be done with DHTML.

I've been know to dabble in web programming, so if someone would be kind enough to send me a free iPod I'd be happy to work it out :)

FastMikie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AuntyDan said:
If they get Flash/Shockwave on it presumably you could use the WEI table system to store shots for reference? Alternatively I'm sure something could be done with DHTML.

I've been know to dabble in web programming, so if someone would be kind enough to send me a free iPod I'd be happy to work it out :)

He's alive!!
Aunty Dan lives!

Dude, you can practice your web programming on my iPod
next time you come to Mikie's Fun House to shoot some pool...

John Barton

Nice. I have the color of money and the hustler stored on my MP4 and while I can watch them it's cool to play pool and just listen.

The other day I was out walking the dogs and I listened to TCOM and it was cool to "see" the movie in my mind while walking around.

I have downloaded a flash to MP4 converter but I haven't done anything with it yet. The idea is to pur you tube vids on the MP4. Of course IF you have the Gee Whiz "Touch" Ipod then you don't "have" to go through all that. :)

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I just picked up an 80gig Ipod Classic... I have the Color of Money on it and a bunch of pool matches from ESPN and the internet. Great clarity and everything. Helps get me through the workday.

Congrats on the touch. I was thinking about getting one of those, but with the max size being only 16 gigs (and my now defunct 20 gig ipod being bigger then that and damn near full) I opted out and went for the 80gig classic.

PROG8R

Gator Nation
Silver Member
Icon of Sin said:
I just picked up an 80gig Ipod Classic... I have the Color of Money on it and a bunch of pool matches from ESPN and the internet. Great clarity and everything. Helps get me through the workday.

Congrats on the touch. I was thinking about getting one of those, but with the max size being only 16 gigs (and my now defunct 20 gig ipod being bigger then that and damn near full) I opted out and went for the 80gig classic.
Do you just drag it all over to it like a removable storage? How do you get movies to it from DVD?

PROG8R

Gator Nation
Silver Member
I agree I fell in love with the touch as soon as I saw it, but the small capacity has me waiting a while before I jump.

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
PROG8R said:
Do you just drag it all over to it like a removable storage? How do you get movies to it from DVD?
Well, the movies have to be converted first and to transfer things to any ipod, apple wants you to use itunes. Which is used in the case of movies as well.

You can set your ipod up to sync automatically when connected to your PC or you can manage it manually which is what I do.

The DVDs have to be ripped first to VOB files on your computer. Once done they have to be converted to mp4 so they are viewable on the Ipod. Once that is done add them to your ipod library and drag them over to the ipod. It sounds like a big pain in the ass but it is way easier then it sounds. The conversion process is just time consuming, but hell, you hit some balls around while it is doing it.

Along the lines of ESPN and internet matches. The matches I got on the internet I was able to download to my PC and convert them to mp4 using the same software. The ESPN matches, I have a tivo connected to my home network. Using Tivo Desktop I can transfer matches to my computer and edit out the commercials and burn them to a dvd. then start the whole conversion process from this point.

If you need links to the ripping and conversion software, let me know, just send me a PM, id be glad to help.

I hate carrying lots of gadgets or things in my pockets. I even hate carrying keys, so i changed my locks to biometric (fingerprint technology). When the iphone came out, i had to have one. I love my ipod, but would hardly ever carry it along with a cell phone.

Even though there are some deficiencies, i love the product. I bought one for my wife and one for my 6 year old daughter.

Im sure future versions will have flash, video camera, im, and more memory. They only cost 400 now, so if they upgrade in a year or so, its not like your out 10 grand if you want to purchase new.

I agree, great product, but curious, why didnt op buy the iphone instead? Just the gig capacity?

Rg

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
NYC cue dude said:
I agree, great product, but curious, why didnt op buy the iphone instead? Just the gig capacity?

Rg
Hey Randy,

Thats the main reason why I opted out of the phone. My old ipod which recently caved in causing me to buy a new one was 20 gigs, which is more then twice the size of the current iphone. Plus my 20gig ipod was damn near full of music.

The other reason was the service. I'm a tmobile customer. they are decent for the most part, but I didn't want to switch at the time for something I didnt really have a big use for, even though it is cool as hell.

I heard google has a phone on the way and it's suppose to by awesome as well, Im considering this but I dont know what the features of it are yet. Google is similiar to apple in my opinion, they both have great ideas for making the modern world easier. I figure it cant be bad.

My current phone is a sidekick three. I got web, keyboard, IM, email, phone, everything at ym fingertips with it as well, plus its neat how the screen flips open LOL.

pooladdict

no doubt about it
Silver Member
John Barton said:
Nice. I have the color of money and the hustler stored on my MP4 and while I can watch them it's cool to play pool and just listen.

The other day I was out walking the dogs and I listened to TCOM and it was cool to "see" the movie in my mind while walking around.
QUOTE]

And I thought I was a pooladdict..;)

Icon of Sin said:
Hey Randy,

Thats the main reason why I opted out of the phone. My old ipod which recently caved in causing me to buy a new one was 20 gigs, which is more then twice the size of the current iphone. Plus my 20gig ipod was damn near full of music.

The other reason was the service. I'm a tmobile customer. they are decent for the most part, but I didn't want to switch at the time for something I didnt really have a big use for, even though it is cool as hell.

I heard google has a phone on the way and it's suppose to by awesome as well, Im considering this but I dont know what the features of it are yet. Google is similiar to apple in my opinion, they both have great ideas for making the modern world easier. I figure it cant be bad.

My current phone is a sidekick three. I got web, keyboard, IM, email, phone, everything at ym fingertips with it as well, plus its neat how the screen flips open LOL.

again, for me, the real appeal is the consolidation of all the gadgets in one unit. Of course its not perfect, and im sure that if apple wanted to, it could have produced first gen iphones with 20 or hell, even 80 gigs of memory. But i understand there perspective that if they give away the house now, how will they make money in the future.

With that said, i was never an apple fan until the ipod. Then i purchased the iphones, and that led me to buy that new 24" imac. I turned into an apple fan pretty quick. Now all i need is the death laser on the next phone and ill be happy. (although i would be alone on this planet within 2 weeks ;) .

rg