Best strategy for installing new pockets, using only one person

bigskyblue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 22 year old Olhausen (4.5 X 9) table that needs new pockets.
What's the best way to disassemble the rails and install the new set of pockets, using only one person?

I'm looking for the most logical strategy.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
  1. Remove the fasteners holding the leather pocket tabs (hopefully screws, but unfortunately, many use staples)
  2. Remove all rail bolts
  3. On one side, pull the side rails outward, so that you can access the pocket bolts from underneath
  4. Remove one pocket bolt
  5. Repeat process on other side
  6. Stand at the end of the table and carefully pull the end rail and 2 side rails toward you, enough to access the pocket bolts from underneath
  7. You may either remove the pocket bolts now, or carefully flip the entire assembly over for easier access

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
  1. Remove the fasteners holding the leather pocket tabs (hopefully screws, but unfortunately, many use staples)
  2. Remove all rail bolts
  3. On one side, pull the side rails outward, so that you can access the pocket bolts from underneath
  6. Stand at the end of the table and carefully pull the end rail and 2 side rails toward you, enough to access the pocket bolts from underneath
  7. You may either remove the pocket bolts now, or carefully flip the entire assembly over for easier access
Some additional info, you can see them if you look, but there are 3 rail bolts on each rail. They should be hex head, I forget the size. The pocket irons (pockets) are held with a phillips type head. It's not your typical #2 phillips, but a larger one. You can use a #2, but I'd recommend getting the larger one. I believe the bigger the number the bigger the head, I'd try at least a #3, possibly #4.

bigskyblue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
  2. Remove all rail bolts
Thanks so much for the information.