Best tip for aiming...

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CTE Pro One is not the simple system sceptics believe it is. It is not about doing the exact same thing for every shot. Different shot distances and cut angles requires variation in pivot.

When people say that they have calculated that the system doesn't work, they have not understood the intricacies. Also, the system does not rule out minor adjustments you may make for your own judgement.
CTE at its most basic is a valuable tool in getting close to the aiming line of a shot. It is the small details of fine tuning that take time to master and ensure you consistently pocket balls.

BTW I don't use CTE Pro One but I have tried it out. It is not a quick fix for learning how to aim, and I think it is a common misconception about what the system is about.

Agreed, it's a skill like anything else. I've only been using it since June, and it makes perfect sense that it could take a year or more to "master-ish"

It almost feels like I'm trying to learn a new language fluently.

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
CTE Pro One is not the simple system sceptics believe it is. It is not about doing the exact same thing for every shot. Different shot distances and cut angles requires variation in pivot.

When people say that they have calculated that the system doesn't work, they have not understood the intricacies. Also, the system does not rule out minor adjustments you may make for your own judgement.
CTE at its most basic is a valuable tool in getting close to the aiming line of a shot. It is the small details of fine tuning that take time to master and ensure you consistently pocket balls.

BTW I don't use CTE Pro One but I have tried it out. It is not a quick fix for learning how to aim, and I think it is a common misconception about what the system is about.

It could be looked at this way. Lets say to reach goal X, it takes the average player 10,000 hours of practice. With the right instruction and technique, that could be reduced to as much as 5,000 hours. But there is no getting around the 5,000 hours, there is just no substitution to build muscle memory and stroke proficiency. For some, 5,000 may mean 2 years of practice. For others it could be 6 years. It depends on how much time you have to devote to the game. For someone that has already logged 10,000 hours and has their stroke in fine alignment, it may take them a very short time (weeks to months) to realize the benefits of something like CTE. For a C player, it is going to take 5-10k hours of practice (literally years) to get to where they want to be, regardless of the technique.

Last edited:

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
How the hell this turn into a CTE thread?

Unreal.......

Point is at some point you need to stop reading about aiming and just do it.

Regardless of system.....geez CTE user..........

Mitchxout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How the hell this turn into a CTE thread?

Unreal.......

Point is at some point you need to stop reading about aiming and just do it.

Regardless of system.....geez CTE user..........

I agree duckie, aiming by feel is the teacher.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys are correct. I did not take the time to master this system, nor will I because it is no better (or worse or ultimately different) than any other "system" that trains the mind's eye. There are some very simple truths about making 2 near perfect round objects collide and go in the pocket where they are intended. Ultimately the only one that matters is that Point A on the front side of the CB must hit very close to point B which is on the other side of the object ball directly away from the intended target. The margin of error for pocket acceptance will ultimately determine if a ball is made or not after contact as 99% of the time we are not hitting the CB to the OB exactly as we think we are being that .5mm is about a degree off which is about 3/8” every foot traveled. Luckily for us virtually every shot gives us more than that for a margin of error.

There are many “systems” out there all claiming to help you to determine how to get Point A to contact Point B close enough every time. Even the old man at my local hangout, who claims he has beaten every champion that ever was in pool, has his "simple system". He believes in it and it works for him. However, I have watched him shoot many shots and he makes probably 95+% of them and most of the time he is not doing what he thinks he is. Does he use that system to initially address the ball? Yes 100% of the time. But as he goes into the stroke he is subconsciously adjusting because he has seen that shot angle hundreds of thousands of times and knows exactly how to shot it to make the ball and get the cue ball to go where it needs to be as inside English, outside English, CIT, deflection, swerve and speed all come into play once that cue ball leaves your tip.

The shear fact that all these systems require you to make calculations and adjustments show that aiming is very subjective and there is no system that will put you in the right spot every time without using that very subjective eye to finalize the shoot any better than simply standing over the balls and making that determination on your own. Ultimately, that contact point still needs to be close enough to Point B that the margin of error for pocket acceptance is tolerable after your imperfect stroke. It is that subjective eye that determines your ultimate skill in the game. If it didn't, most of us here would never miss a shot.

CTE , TOI, Ghostball or whatever else out there is not going to increase your pocket margin of error and it certainly is not going to increase your stroke margin of error for contact Point A as it isn’t going to help you hit the CB on a perfect line. All those subjective things are still there regardless of the system used. What matters, as the original poster said indirectly, is that you hit the cue ball where you think you are hitting it over and over and over again no matter what “system” you use. I am simply pointing out that not a single system out there will physically make you do that based on their science. I am also pointing out that every system out there gives the disclaimer whether directly or indirectly that you have to “teach yourself” to adjust to what you see and have confidence in it. Why? Because that is them telling you to shoot it so many times that your mind’s eye is trained to hit the shot the way it needs to be hit using all the subjective input required including your flawed stroke. That ultimately is the bottom line of every aiming system ever invented or will ever be invented as the actual physics of making the balls will never change.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The shear fact that all these systems require you to make calculations and adjustments show that aiming is very subjective and there is no system that will put you in the right spot every time without using that very subjective eye to finalize the shoot any better than simply standing over the balls and making that determination on your own. Ultimately, that contact point still needs to be close enough to Point B that the margin of error for pocket acceptance is tolerable after your imperfect stroke. It is that subjective eye that determines your ultimate skill in the game. If it didn't, most of us here would never miss a shot.

CTE , TOI, Ghostball or whatever else out there is not going to increase your pocket margin of error and it certainly is not going to increase your stroke margin of error for contact Point A as it isn’t going to help you hit the CB on a perfect line. All those subjective things are still there regardless of the system used. What matters, as the original poster said indirectly, is that you hit the cue ball where you think you are hitting it over and over and over again no matter what “system” you use. I am simply pointing out that not a single system out there will physically make you do that based on their science. I am also pointing out that every system out there gives the disclaimer whether directly or indirectly that you have to “teach yourself” to adjust to what you see and have confidence in it. Why? Because that is them telling you to shoot it so many times that your mind’s eye is trained to hit the shot the way it needs to be hit using all the subjective input required including your flawed stroke. That ultimately is the bottom line of every aiming system ever invented or will ever be invented as the actual physics of making the balls will never change.

Some very false statements you made there that show your complete lack of knowledge regarding CTE/Pro One. The aim line you get from CTE/Pro One takes you to center pocket. It requires no adjustments to get there. You may choose to adjust some things if you want to apply side spin or do something different with the CB/OB. But the fact is, it does take you center pocket without any conscious or subconscious adjustments. You can choose to agree to disagree with that but you'd have to invest the time to actually understand the system thoroughly before your opinion would be credible.

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also find with Pro one, it's your want to adjust that makes you miss. When you miss a ball, it's either because:

1. You chose the wrong perception (which are always lined up exactly the same)
2. You're pivot or sweep is inconsistent (when it should always be the same amount).

The learning part is more about making sure you line up your perceptions and pivot or sweep exactly the same each time.

If you had a pool shooting robot, and gave it the instructions to line up the appropriate perception (15/30/45/60), and programmed it to hit the cue ball with the exact same left or right pivot each time, it would make every different shot, every time. (getting a robot to be able to register those perceptions is probably extremely complicated, but it would only be those perceptions)

You're really just practicing to remove human error.

Last edited:

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
I also find with Pro one, it's your want to adjust that makes you miss.

Agreed. I can't say how many times some minute adjustment, for whatever reason at the time, misses. Then when you finally decide to completely trust the system, down it goes. Practice helps you get over the uncertainties.

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
Some very false statements you made there that show your complete lack of knowledge regarding CTE/Pro One. The aim line you get from CTE/Pro One takes you to center pocket. It requires no adjustments to get there. You may choose to adjust some things if you want to apply side spin or do something different with the CB/OB. But the fact is, it does take you center pocket without any conscious or subconscious adjustments. You can choose to agree to disagree with that but you'd have to invest the time to actually understand the system thoroughly before your opinion would be credible.

Center pocket ???? Your an expert in what??? Where's the videos of your spectacular shooting. You've been at this system for awhile now...show us some of your credibility with your shooting .
Center pocket:rolleyes:

Last edited:

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Center pocket ???? Your an expert in what??? Where's the videos of your spectacular shooting. You've been at this system for awhile now...show us some of your credibility with your shooting .
Center pocket:rolleyes:

It makes the ball go into the center of the pocket. It's not some incredible boast, and I actually find it's a weakness of the system. Base on the way you line up the perceptions, and use the same sweeps, it actually just goes into the middle every time if done correctly. It's not really good or bad, because I have no idea how to cheat the pocket, even if I wanted too by using CTE (but I'm also a beginner). At it's most basic level, the shots always lead to center pocket and you don't really have much say in the matter whether you want it to go center or not.

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
It makes the ball go into the center of the pocket. It's not some incredible boast, and I actually find it's a weakness of the system. Base on the way you line up the perceptions, and use the same sweeps, it actually just goes into the middle every time if done correctly. It's not really good or bad, because I have no idea how to cheat the pocket, even if I wanted too by using CTE (but I'm also a beginner). At it's most basic level, the shots always lead to center pocket and you don't really have much say in the matter whether you want it to go center or not.

Your a begginner but yet you know so much. How credible...or is it how incredible it must feel to know center pocket so well...you so lucky.;)

usakr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Isn't there some guy on this forum who ran over 200 in straight pool using cte?

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're a beginner but yet you know so much. How credible...or is it how incredible it must feel to know center pocket so well...you're so lucky.;)

Am I missing something? It's the space right in the middle of the two bumpers? I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but if it's more complicated, please explain.