Best value billiard balls (Aramith Regulation Size Crown Standard)?

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Call me out of date but not a fan of the look of the Dynaspheres.
Just not pleasing to my eye.
I'll play on a table with any set if I must but if I have a choice the Dynasphere look is a no for me
and given how long a set of pool balls can last, over time, even the most expensive set is a bargain.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll play on a table with any set if I must but if I have a choice the Dynasphere look is a no for me
and given how long a set of pool balls can last, over time, even the most expensive set is a bargain.
What's wrong with these...
51692953917_60e7389de2_b.jpg

...or these?
52291102164_48f4d4fa1b_h.jpg

Last edited:

oknazevad

Registered
Dynaspheres has change the name of their new pool balls, so if you are looking for the technical updated and new Dynaspheres 2.0 balls from 2022 you should google:

Pool ball set:
DynaSpheres Pool Palladium 572 8 x solid ball, 7 x striped ball, 2 x cueball with 6 black rotors
DynaSpheres Pool Rhodium 572 8 x solid ball, 7 x striped ball, 1 x cueball with 6 black triangles
DynaSpheres Pool Vanadium 572 8 x solid ball, 7 x striped ball, 1 x cueball with 2 black triangles
DynaSpheres Pool Tungsten 572 8 x solid ball, 7 x striped ball, 1 x cueball

The old model of Dynaspheres pool balls was called Platinum, Gold, Silver and Tungsten, only Tungsten name is still in use, the other names are gone.

So I guess you might find a really good price on any of the old ball sets ;)
The model names (and designs) are different depending on the territory. The Palladium/Rhodium/Vanadium/Chromium sets are the ones for the Asian market, while the Platinum/Gold/Silver/Bronze sets are for North America. (Tungsten is common to both.)

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The model names (and designs) are different depending on the territory. The Palladium/Rhodium/Vanadium/Chromium sets are the ones for the Asian market, while the Platinum/Gold/Silver/Bronze sets are for North America. (Tungsten is common to both.)
This is no longer true for 2022.

Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 8.43.12 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 8.41.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 8.41.45 AM.png
    124.9 KB · Views: 48

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I would take any set of Dynaspheres over the Black set from Aramith. When I first got a set of the cheaper Tungstens for like $70, there were people at the pool hall walking over to ask about them and were where they could buy them. It was like if you ran into a celerity playing, guys were bringing their girlfriends over to see the set LOL

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is no longer true for 2022.

View attachment 668533

Interesting model names, consistent to the idea but totally make no sense to try to figure out what set is better. Everyone on the planet knows Gold > Silver > Bonze, WTF is more expensive or rarer, Vanadium or Rhodium? Will they include the periodic table in the box along with a short science course and relative cost? LOL

T@BP

I myself like all of Dynaspheres 2.0 sets.
I know there is some strange sets on the market with funny boxers and very cheap prices.
Here is two picture of original balls and boxers.

Attachments

• 5D0DA8B7-260D-4807-A3A7-8C69A3EB3AA1.jpeg
    5D0DA8B7-260D-4807-A3A7-8C69A3EB3AA1.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 95
  • 4D523498-1CD7-4070-B698-E7150E5F6E7B.jpeg
    4D523498-1CD7-4070-B698-E7150E5F6E7B.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 97

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would take any set of Dynaspheres over the Black set from Aramith. When I first got a set of the cheaper Tungstens for like $70, there were people at the pool hall walking over to ask about them and were where they could buy them. It was like if you ran into a celerity playing, guys were bringing their girlfriends over to see the set LOL
Don't like the look of the black either.
Call me a traditionalist if you like.
I actually like the colors of "classic balls."
Pretty sure the pool ball makers are just creating a market and
they obviously have been successful judging by this thread.
After all how many times in your lifetime do pool balls wear out?
Put something new out there, promote it, and increase sales.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rexus posted a pic of the Bronze set above. You don't get more "classic" than that. Bog standard old-timey colors.
Colors are right.
Numbers are ugly and they look cheap.
JMHO.

As compared to these:

JMHO

phreaticus

Colors are right.
Numbers are ugly and they look cheap.
JMHO.

As compared to these:

JMHO
I actually also personally think that both Centennials & Aramith Tourney’s have a slightly more elegant look. But the simple Dynasphere’s look good enough, actually stay much cleaner and are 1/3 of the price. Pretty simple equation, depending on what is most important to a person.

On my home table, I actually play with my original Aramith Tourneys, but now prefer the Dynasphere Bronze CB since its blissfully plain white and stays much cleaner than any of them. I’m slowly converting local bars in my area to upgrade to Dynaspheres with the Aramith magnetic CB, as everyone seems to like that combo best and its cheap.

✌️

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually also personally think that both Centennials & Aramith Tourney’s have a slightly more elegant look. But the simple Dynasphere’s look good enough, actually stay much cleaner and are 1/3 of the price. Pretty simple equation, depending on what is most important to a person.

On my home table, I actually play with my original Aramith Tourneys, but now prefer the Dynasphere Bronze CB since its blissfully plain white and stays much cleaner than any of them. I’m slowly converting local bars in my area to upgrade to Dynaspheres with the Aramith magnetic CB, as everyone seems to like that combo best and its cheap.

✌️
I get it.
Whatever works for you.

Nyquil

Looking to pick up some new billiard balls. What's the best value billiard balls to purchase? I am a traditionalist, like the clear white balls. Was looking at a set of Aramith Regulation Size Crown Standards.
+1 for Dynasphere Bronze.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There’s only one brand of pool balls I use and I’ve yet to find any others that are better or prettier.
It always comes down to personal tastes & affordability but in the end, you get what you pay for.

Attachments

• 59361E20-3E5E-4C77-A568-BD4829ED6392.jpeg
    59361E20-3E5E-4C77-A568-BD4829ED6392.jpeg
    266.4 KB · Views: 108

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Based on my experience and owning 17 sets of balls, this isn't necessarily the case.
Well, I’ve owned a dozen different sets of pool balls and ultimately, the Centennial design became my favorite.

I’m the same way with pool cloth. Tournament Blue is what everyone seems to prefer. I’m still a Simonis Green
fan (860HR) but only played on Simonis 760 twice. The first time was on a Friday night and I was amazed by how
fast the table played. So much so that I returned the next day to try it again. Yup, Simonis 760 does play tougher.

As far as cue designs, my taste is pretty tame and old school designs make me swoon faster than anything else I see.
Maybe that’s why Centennial balls are my favorite. Gosh knows, that design and its quality has stood the test of time.

phreaticus

Well, I’ve owned a dozen different sets of pool balls and ultimately, the Centennial design became my favorite.

I’m the same way with pool cloth. Tournament Blue is what everyone seems to prefer. I’m still a Simonis Green
fan (860HR) but only played on Simonis 760 twice. The first time was on a Friday night and I was amazed by how
fast the table played. So much so that I returned the next day to try it again. Yup, Simonis 760 does play tougher.

As far as cue designs, my taste is pretty tame and old school designs make me swoon faster than anything else I see.
Maybe that’s why Centennial balls are my favorite. Gosh knows, that design and its quality has stood the test of time.
Thats all good & fine. I doubt anyone will argue with you on quality, style & heritage of Centennials. Personally I find the Aramith Tourneys to have the nicest look & paid high $$ for them. But the OP’s question was about “best value”, and given the quality, performance, price (and as far as I know basically 100% ++ reviews) of the simple styled Dynashere’s, the answer these days seems pretty self explanatory.

✌️

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The Cent's have been made by more than one co. Which is better? The Hyatt version or the Saluc/Aramith? Wasn't Aramith the lo bidder to get the contract to make them? Did B'wick go with 'better' or 'cheaper'? Just curious. IMO paying 500bux for the Centennial design is kinda crazy.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO paying 500bux for the Centennial design is kinda crazy.
When I first got my table I REALLY wanted Centennials, but couldn't afford them, so found a good deal on Cyclop skittles balls and got them instead. After 4 or 5 years I got a good set of Centennials used, and sold the cyclop balls before I had a chance to use the Brunswicks. Big mistake. The cyclops played much better (far fewer skids) and stayed way cleaner. I only used the Brunswicks for a month or two before I ordered some Dynasphere Tungstens. Tungstens are ugly, but they play as good as anything. I'm currently back using a set of skittles cyclop balls, but that's for aesthetic reasons, the Dynashperes are better balls. I also bought a set of Bronze as a housewarming gift, and I've never seen a nicer set of balls. The Bronze also play impeccably.

Yes, the Centennials are incredibly pretty, but they just don't perform like modern high end balls. The difference is noticeable, even to middle of the road players.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I first got my table I REALLY wanted Centennials, but couldn't afford them, so found a good deal on Cyclop skittles balls and got them instead. After 4 or 5 years I got a good set of Centennials used, and sold the cyclop balls before I had a chance to use the Brunswicks. Big mistake. The cyclops played much better (far fewer skids) and stayed way cleaner. I only used the Brunswicks for a month or two before I ordered some Dynasphere Tungstens. Tungstens are ugly, but they play as good as anything. I'm currently back using a set of skittles cyclop balls, but that's for aesthetic reasons, the Dynashperes are better balls. I also bought a set of Bronze as a housewarming gift, and I've never seen a nicer set of balls. The Bronze also play impeccably.

Yes, the Centennials are incredibly pretty, but they just don't perform like modern high end balls. The difference is noticeable, even to middle of the road players.
I've yet to notice differences in how different balls play. Staying clean is another matter. All hi-grade phenolic balls play fine. The differences in formulations are tiny. The Cent's use the SAP mix which is a super hi-grade resin formula. I just don't get the price bump for the name/design of Centennials.