Best value billiard balls (Aramith Regulation Size Crown Standard)?

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All hi-grade phenolic balls play fine.
The centennials I had caught skids 5-10x as often as the cyclop/dynashere balls I used before/after them, no exaggeration. Granted, the centennials were used, so it's possible they had some sort of abuse that affected their surface, but I polished them in a Diamond cleaner with aramith paste many many times and they never improved. Maybe my set was a dud.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool balls are likely equivalent to pool cues.
What one man favors another might not care.

In the end, I suppose it genuinely doesn’t matter.
Functionality over form is the most important test.

DeeDeeCues

What's wrong with these...
51692953917_60e7389de2_b.jpg

...or these?
52291102164_48f4d4fa1b_h.jpg

Blurry numbers and gray six ball.

I consider my aramith tourney balls an outstanding value.

Proviso: the only nine foot table within 150miles of me are at a university, so I see a huge value in just having a place to play. When I've spent as much as I have for the space, table, etc. I'm not taking a chance on cheaper balls that I don't like aesthetically.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The centennials I had caught skids 5-10x as often as the cyclop/dynashere balls I used before/after them, no exaggeration. Granted, the centennials were used, so it's possible they had some sort of abuse that affected their surface, but I polished them in a Diamond cleaner with aramith paste many many times and they never improved. Maybe my set was a dud.
You must play in really dirty conditions. The only reason i say this is that i have not encountered a skid of any kind in at least 2yrs and this is in a busy commercial room. Never heard of Centennials(or any ball tbh) being the root cause of skids much less '5-10x' as many. Almost always the conditions(dirt, humidity,chalk,powder).

Last edited:

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For my home, ball skid ceased the moment I changed chalk. All ball brands, all sets were impacted. And I keep both balls and cloth clean.

Barring aesthetics, colors, and other’s personal opinions about such, my short term findings are the best value set (quality/performance/$) is the Dynasphere Bronze. How well they will last in a commercial setting vs home use who knows.

Personally my favorite set is still the new age Centennials (Aramith Pro Cup). High quality, but wouldn’t call them the best value out there for obvious reasons ($$$).

I prefer playing with my Centennials/Super Pro over the Tournaments/Blacks. Though I find the difference between technologies impalpable. 🫤

Hello Everyone, thank you you for the tremendous feedback. Great comments and insight. I like the comments that noted for someone to appreciate what is eye appealing to them as well which lends to the subject.

I made a generally tally of the comments:
Price/Model/Votes:

$116 Dynasphere Bronze Ball Set 12
$150 Aramith Premier Pool Ball Set 5
$85 Dynasphere Tungsten 3
$100 Aramith Crown Standard 1

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello Everyone, thank you you for the tremendous feedback. Great comments and insight. I like the comments that noted for someone to appreciate what is eye appealing to them as well which lends to the subject.

I made a generally tally of the comments:
Price/Model/Votes:

$116 Dynasphere Bronze Ball Set 12
$150 Aramith Premier Pool Ball Set 5
$85 Dynasphere Tungsten 3
$100 Aramith Crown Standard 1
Buy the Dynashperes Bronze set and don't look back.

mrpiper

Registered
I literally own about 22 sets. Dyna Palladium and Tungsten, Centennials, Arcos II, Duramith, Elephant, Vigma, and quite a few other brands. All play about the same. Certainly all of the first 5 are fantastic and consistent. Honestly, I would put the Vigma brands in top tier as well.

The ONLY difference I see in any of my sets is how long they stay clean. All of my non top tier sets get dirty much more quickly. The Dynaspheres and Arcos II sets seem the best to me for longevity of cleanliness thus I suppose best finish. Centennials and Duramith I see NO difference between but they are not as good as the top two. I previously had a Centennial set that was over 20 years old and still looked good as new, but they did have to be cleaned a lot more often. My new set seems to be a significant improvement.

Either way, buy yourself a nice "Clean Gleem" 8 ball cleaner (or 16 ball cleaner. I have the 16 and love it) and toss them in for a few minutes and they are all going to be shiny, consistent and similar.

I change my set out every week and clean the outgoing set for 5 min in the machine and I never have anything but a great playing set on the table that keeps the table interesting.

Thank you for all the feedback, I plan on picking up a set of Dynasphere Bronze Balls soon. Is the white on the balls a "bright white" or does it have a beige tint to it? Hard to tell from some of the online pictures. Hoping that it is bright white.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
dynasphere bronze set is the best value
and im a fan of the aramith crown set , but they dynas are just better

Bob Farr

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For a nice set that resembles the Centennial set, these are a real steal for under a hundred bucks.
All the balls in my set weighed the same within .02oz.
All the balls measured 2.25".
The colors are traditional and brilliant.
Mine are 6 months old and still like new. Haven't had to clean yet. Just wipe them off with a clean cloth to remove the chalk marks.
Link: https://seyberts.com/collections/billiard-ball-sets/products/speed-luster-pro-pool-ball-set
I just bought a second set for my son's home table.
I've never seen/played with the Dynasphere bronze balls. I should have bought the Dynasphere balls to try on his table. Oh well...

Last edited:
The Dynasphere Bronze Ball Set arrived over the weekend and looked great except that the "white" color is beige. I prefer a pure white color for the cue ball and striped balls so I'll return them and ordered up a set of Aramith Premier Pool Balls.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see the Aramith Premier for $167.30.
It looks like a nice set.
Most of my Aramith cue balls are a bit off white.

I see the Aramith Premier for $167.30.
It looks like a nice set.
Most of my Aramith cue balls are a bit off white.
I hope the Aramith Premier Belgian Balls I ordered are pure white looking. You really couldn’t tell from the various Dynasphere pictures. The Aramith Premiers look white. We’ll see. I’ll follow up with an update

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Buy the Aramith set that looks most pleasing to your eye.
Even if you go top of the line at around $400, think about how long that they will last you.
Almost forever.
Any set you buy will be a bargain over time.
Yep. Buy once cry once

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m not sure if this picture will help but here is a picture of a new Dynasphere Bronze Cue, one under the box.
The rest are Aramith except for a Cyclop. The Cyclop is bright white.
It seems my older cues balls are turning yellow.

E2AEEDB8-29C5-42D3-9432-340D2338DEF9.jpeg