Billiards in New Orleans?

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haven't found a table.
Stay off the French Quarter

Head south to Venice and hire a fishing guide. Either trout and reds or tuna.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More of a joke than anything else. Too much potential trouble. Guess you'll be with your wife and daughter in which case just keep your eyes open for your daughters sake. There are several decent places for music and food in the neighborhood but there's plenty of joints you probably don't want to step foot in.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Haven't found a table.
Stay off the French Quarter

Head south to Venice and hire a fishing guide. Either trout and reds or tuna.

More of a joke than anything else. Too much potential trouble. Guess you'll be with your wife and daughter in which case just keep your eyes open for your daughters sake. There are several decent places for music and food in the neighborhood but there's plenty of joints you probably don't want to step foot in.

i disagree with all due respect
not going to the french quarter is like going to new york for maybe the only time and not going to times square.....:eek:
is bourbon st sleazy
ABSOLUTELY YES
thats why you walk down it ONCE
JACKSON SQUARE IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT
having bignets at cafe dumond
YOU CANT LEAVE NEW ORLEANS WITHOUT DOING THAT (jmho)
the antique shops on (its been 30 years since ive been in new orleans) and BLANK STREET are second to none antique shops in the world
jmho
icbw

Gongmyo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The street all the antique shops are on is Royal Street, and the poster (bbb) is absolutely right about Jackson Square and its environs. Cafe du Monde is a must stop . And don't miss Central Grocery on Decatur Street for a muffaletta. The street music all through the Quarter is itself worth the visit. But the original poster is right about there being no carom tables in the city. There were two in the Tulane University billiards room, where I learned how to play in the 60's, and two in the elegant and private New Orleans Athletic Club, where I never played. A previous era, but there's always hope for the future.

jjacobson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the posts. It's just going to be Becky and I. She'll love the antiques and I'll love all the music. Just hoping I could play a little 3-Cushion while there. Keep the ideas coming!! JJ

dharrell

Registered
Billiards tables in New Orleans

I was a member of the Tulane University billiard team 20 odd years ago. We had 2 5x10 old Brunswicks. Call the Tulane student center and ask if they still have the billiard tables. A little history, growing up in N.O. I remember as a kid having a hard time finding pocket tables, most were 5x10s. Unfortunately most are gone. Good luck.
Dean

G Earl

G Earl
Silver Member
New Orleans

John:

I know you love music. As such any visit to the French Quarter that did not include a visit to Preservation Hall would be criminally incomplete.

The place is somewhat of a dump but it is also a National Treasure IMHO.

You won't want to spend the day there but one session should be a treat. But don't pull a Russ R. Spring for the $10 or $15 dollars at the end of the set and they will burst into The Saints Go Marching In. Then your FQ visit will be complete.

Whether or not you want to collect beads is up to the two of you.

See you in two weeks.

www.preservationhall.com