BK Rush Max Weight ?

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm considering a BK Rush and was wondering how heavy you can make them if you max out the weight? I prefer a heavy break cue, my current one is around 22.5.

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a rush, but I know someone who tried making his pred player as heavy as possible. It got to around 22oz before no more bolts would fit. This was also using some extra 1oz or 2oz weight bolts I had, I’m not sure if you could get that heavy with what comes in the kit.

pw98

Registered
If you want to make it heavier you might try maxing out on the weight bolts and add a butt extension.

Zerksies

I'm assuming maybe 22oz. They come 18oz without any weight from predator. You can probably stick two 2oz weight bolts in it

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm considering a BK Rush and was wondering how heavy you can make them if you max out the weight? I prefer a heavy break cue, my current one is around 22.5.

The stock BK Rush has a very good balance and feel, I think that would be ruined with adding more weight. High end break cues are pretty much a waste of money anyway, the break is almost all how good the rack is, how the table is and how well you hit the ball. While I really like how the BK Rush feels, my second favorite break cue is a $100 Cuetec break/jump cue I found left behind at a pool hall and stuck a White Diamond tip on. 1/6th the price (free for me), 90% of the hit feel and 100% of the break result LOL

Zerksies

The stock BK Rush has a very good balance and feel, I think that would be ruined with adding more weight. High end break cues are pretty much a waste of money anyway, the break is almost all how good the rack is, how the table is and how well you hit the ball. While I really like how the BK Rush feels, my second favorite break cue is a $100 Cuetec break/jump cue I found left behind at a pool hall and stuck a White Diamond tip on. 1/6th the price (free for me), 90% of the hit feel and 100% of the break result LOL
Pool is a very mental game. If something does not feel right in your hands your playing is going to suffer. You feel good with a $100 break cue. I feel good with an $800 BK Rush

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool is a very mental game. If something does not feel right in your hands your playing is going to suffer. You feel good with a $100 break cue. I feel good with an $800 BK Rush

Well that's the thing, that $100 cue has most of the BK Rush feel that I like for way less, with 0 performance hit, so it's the same cue with a 500 rebate. One can't even use the fact of a cue as art or a collectible since the thing is a Predator. It's not like deflection matters that much in a break cue, and if the opponent is doing their job, you may never even use it in a match LOL. $2,000 playing cue from a cue maker that has their name on the cue built for you with nice woods, I'm all for that since the price is not only in performance. Anything over say $300 for a break cue made in china painted black, nope nope nope. Maybe if it was say a custom break cue built to match a playing cue, then I can see the art part being worth the extra money, but a plain off the shelf break cue that does nothing better than a cue 1/4 the cost, that is a bit silly and no way would I recommend that to anyone as being worth it. A break cue is pretty much all function, like a cheap watch, and it does not add much value the higher end you go past just spending more money.

Last edited:

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the meantime I found one in stock close to me and tried different weight configurations. Like others said, it was 18oz without weight. I put a 2oz bolt in making it 20, and there was some space left. 1 extra oz could be added for sure, maybe 2, so 22oz tops. But I didn't go over 20, because the cue is very rear balanced and feels already heavy at 20.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well that's the thing, that $100 cue has most of the BK Rush feel that I like for way less, with 0 performance hit, so it's the same cue with a 500 rebate. One can't even use the fact of a cue as art or a collectible since the thing is a Predator. It's not like deflection matters that much in a break cue, and if the opponent is doing their job, you may never even use it in a match LOL. $2,000 playing cue from a cue maker that has their name on the cue built for you with nice woods, I'm all for that since the price is not only in performance. Anything over say $300 for a break cue made in china painted black, nope nope nope. Maybe if it was say a custom break cue built to match a playing cue, then I can see the art part being worth the extra money, but a plain off the shelf break cue that does nothing better than a cue 1/4 the cost, that is a bit silly and no way would I recommend that to anyone as being worth it. A break cue is pretty much all function, like a cheap watch, and it does not add much value the higher end you go past just spending more money.
I respectfully disagree. Deflection matters when breaking just as much as in play if not more, dice every shot is going to be a power shot. That applies to both intentional and unintentional spin. Also the Revo shafts are made in Boston for what is worth. I am not defending the price tag. I wish I could get the same quality cheaper. But they are not the same as a $100 breaker.

Zerksies

I guess you're never broke so hard that the shaft vibrates.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess you're never broke so hard that the shaft vibrates.

Shafts vibrate on many hits, even when not breaking. Not sure what that has to do with the results of the break unless the goal is to just hit it as hard as possible. With template racks, racked normally, the best breaks are the ones in the 15-18 mph range, you can get that done with a house cue easily. Heck a 10 mph break would be OK with a template rack to make a ball and spread things in 9 ball.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I respectfully disagree. Deflection matters when breaking just as much as in play if not more, dice every shot is going to be a power shot. That applies to both intentional and unintentional spin. Also the Revo shafts are made in Boston for what is worth. I am not defending the price tag. I wish I could get the same quality cheaper. But they are not the same as a $100 breaker.

My son and two friends from my pool hall have BK Rush break cues, I have used one for many breaks and have had them try out others, there are no different results off the break when swapping break cues around from those. My friend, who breaks hard no matter how the rack is done, was pretty impressed with the hit feel of the Cuetec I found. The best part of the BK Rush is the hit feel and balance, those are as good as any break cue I have tried. I have not made any more balls or gotten better layouts or scratched less with it.

If someone wants to spend the extra money, and wants say a full Predator set of cues, the BK Rush is a good pick. I just don't see the value in that price for the cue myself, and I own 4 different break cues, PureX, a 1st edition Predator BK, the Cuetec with a swapped tip and a bunch of the cheaper J&J break/jump cues that are pretty much all the same one I won from raffles. It's not that I just have not tried the cue, I have, and if I just go by the outcome you get after the break, it's as good as any cue, but that is the issue, it's not better. For 2-3 times the cost that thing better sink 3 balls every time and have a guarantee not to scratch on the break when using it. There is just nothing to gain in the break with changing cues past what the feel is and personal preference for the hit feel is, how the break turns out is all skill and rack setup. If someone is hitting the stack not full, sends the cueball flying and scratches often, swapping cues will do nothing for them. If someone is hitting the break solid, well, again, swapping cues won't help because they are just good at hitting the break. Pure final speed is not a goal anymore in the break in most situation, and that is about all that one can engineer into a break cue for actual performance numbers.

Last edited:

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The butt of my rush is 16.9oz. That's how it came to me when i bought it. I don't like it much for breaking but the weight/balance with a revo playing shaft is so good that I've made it my regular player. I put the rush shaft on another butt. It still has room for more weight bolts but I wouldn't want to go any heavier.

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The butt of my rush is 16.9oz. That's how it came to me when i bought it. I don't like it much for breaking but the weight/balance with a revo playing shaft is so good that I've made it my regular player. I put the rush shaft on another butt. It still has room for more weight bolts but I wouldn't want to go any heavier.
That's very heavy, it mus have quite a lot of weight added. My Revo break shaft is 4.2 so with your butt it would be over 21.

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Btw Predator Uni-Loc weights can only be bought in an overpriced set, and the tool is proprietary. The aliexpress shop below sells M16x1.5 grub screws for cheap with free shipping. The 25mm is around 1oz, the 16mm one 0.6oz.

CHF 0.70 25%OFF | M6x0.75/M8x1.0/M10x1.0/M10x1.25/M12x1.0/M12x1.25/M14x1.5 Fine teeth,DIN913 Stainless Steel Hex Socket Set Screws Grub Screw