Bonus Ball: Opinions?

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posted this in another thread (I'm sure all of AZB has been waiting to hear wait Cory thinks!). For those who have tried Bonus Ball, what do you think? For those that haven't, why not?

To get things rolling, here are my initial thoughts.

1. "Bonus ball" is a lame name. Need something catchier. "Sequence" is the best I have come up with, but there are many people more creative than me.

2. To form a real opinion on the game, you need to try it on a table for a few hours and watch the US v. Canada match. It's hard to understand one without the other.

3. There's a lot to like about BB. As you play it, you can tell how the makers tried to combine the better elements of 8-ball, rotation games, one pocket, and a little straight pool, while trying to increase the pace of the game relative to one pocket. I think they succeeded in that attempt. Also, it's interesting and challenging that, in the early part of a rack, it's pretty wide open and there are lots of options on how to run balls (like 8-ball, but with a modest sequence requirement). Later in the rack, you want to put balls by one of your holes while keeping them away from your opponent's holes. Even though there are three pockets, this part is more like one-pocket than you might think -- that is, the extra pockets don't play much of a role (see the John Barton thread on getting spotted two extra pockets in one-hole against a champion).

4. Drawbacks. It's a change. I had to actively think to remember my 3 pockets and assess a layout; in 8/9 ball and one hole, assessing a layout is pretty much automatic. It's especially tricky to remember that if you make the first ball in a sequence but miss the second, you have to start on the ball that you missed. (Yes, that sentence is probably inscrutable if you haven't tried the game.)

One pretty neat aspect of the game is the strategy changes a bit depending on whether you and the opponent are both on the same color or different colors.

5. Production. Nathan M. is good. Much better to watch than the pool matches you used to see on TV.

6. The game will force you to take some creative banks, and the clock forces a fast pace. As good a chance as any, probably better, to create an exciting game of pool. The way I see it, pro 8-ball, 9-ball, and 10-ball are too easy (80% either run out while holding the line or safe); one pocket is awesome but boring to the lay person. Bonus Ball strikes a pretty good balance.

Long story short: good game, needs a better name.

Cory

vpbb123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The first thing that struck me when Larry first introduced me to his new game, was the name. I thought wow, this game is so good, it's needs a better name. However, upon reflecting back on that, how is Eight Ball, Nine Ball or Ten Ball any better??? How about hockey? Football or Baseball any better of a name for a sport than say Pool, billiards or Snooker? It's just a dam name. The Bonus Ball is the main focus of the game. You shoot two colored balls to get an opportunity to get the 3 point Bonus for pocketing the Bonus Ball. You miss, you just lost 3 points. You are back to the beginning of the sequence of purple, orange and then your once again, after that dam Bonus Ball. When I actually think hard about it, Bonus Ball is the perfect name for this game. :)

I also agree with you Cory on traditional games being too easy for professional players. I was at an amateur Eight Ball tournament yesterday and so many people were walking around disappointed because they were getting run out by amateur level players. The ones actually running out were so proud with their performances. I just ran a table. Big deal. How many great shots did you make? 99 percent made six stop shots and basically shot all 8 balls straight into a pocket. I'm not impressed. There is something too simple about traditional games for professionals. That's what I have always believed. Try beating a professional player in a Bonus Ball race! Good luck with that! Archer knows what he is talking about when he said "This game separates the men from the boys!". As a boy, I want to play the game that the professionals are playing. I understand what Johnny is talking about!

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its the real deal, millions have been invested. Its the brightest spot in pool there is right now for those trying to earn a living at pool-here in America.

I cant post everything I have been told, as it will come out soon in Press Releases. I will say this, its real, the promoters have spent piles of $$$, they have revised the game, it fun to watch the matches(Nathan made that happen). They have surrounded themselves with very good consultants. And are thinking HUGE for marketing a long term business model. This was not designed to be a event, or a one hit wonder.

I sure hope for the sake of cue sports people get behind Bonus Ball and Stay behind what ever your doing now in pool (league's, etc), God knows pool is on life support at best.

I'm going to watch it, refer everyone I can think of to watch it and go to the Bonus Ball center( which is a mile from where I moved from last year) Pisses me off this didnt happen sooner, I could have walked there everyday. Now it a 4 1/2 hour drive, oh well.

The line of thinking with Bonus Ball is its not just another "pool game" its a new sport with the same equipment that pool shares, thats the best way too sum it up. So give it a chance.

best Eric:)

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're probably right about the name. And given the marketing that's already gone into it, it's probably too late to change the name anyway.

Cory

The first thing that struck me when Larry first introduced me to his new game, was the name. I thought wow, this game is so good, it's needs a better name. However, upon reflecting back on that, how is Eight Ball, Nine Ball or Ten Ball any better??? How about hockey? Football or Baseball any better of a name for a sport than say Pool, billiards or Snooker? It's just a dam name. The Bonus Ball is the main focus of the game. You shoot two colored balls to get an opportunity to get the 3 point Bonus for pocketing the Bonus Ball. You miss, you just lost 3 points. You are back to the beginning of the sequence of purple, orange and then your once again, after that dam Bonus Ball. When I actually think hard about it, Bonus Ball is the perfect name for this game. :)

I also agree with you Cory on traditional games being too easy for professional players. I was at an amateur Eight Ball tournament yesterday and so many people were walking around disappointed because they were getting run out by amateur level players. The ones actually running out were so proud with their performances. I just ran a table. Big deal. How many great shots did you make? 99 percent made six stop shots and basically shot all 8 balls straight into a pocket. I'm not impressed. There is something too simple about traditional games for professionals. That's what I have always believed. Try beating a professional player in a Bonus Ball race! Good luck with that! Archer knows what he is talking about when he said "This game separates the men from the boys!". As a boy, I want to play the game that the professionals are playing. I understand what Johnny is talking about!

vpbb123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was a teenager, I remember Eight Ball being called "Boston". Does anyone remember that being the name of game. At first, I thought a more elegant name would suit it better like "Las Vegas Royale" "Ultimate Pool" and even "Power Ball" (A ten year old at the US Open that loved playing the game and called the bonus ball, the power ball all the time.)

After spending way too much time trying to come up with a new name, I settled on just leaving the name, Bonus Ball. The name is the central focus of the game. Your main goal is to pocket the bonus ball for maximum points. (three points). It just falls into place with the traditional games. It's name focuses one what makes you the winner of a game. Except the Bonus Ball itself does not win you the game. (Another frustrating thing I find about eight ball and nine ball. You sometimes do all the shot making and the work only to lose the game when someone cleans up behind you or you get hooked) Bonus Ball, the top shooter will win the day, every time.

So there you go, Bonus Ball remained the name.

WADR. the guy sounds like he's commentating a roller derby match.

About Joe sounding like he was announcing Roller Derby...could be, because yes, roller derby is full of action. Many different options and so much to talk about, just like Bonus Ball. Wait until the teams start playing the regular season. The points races and the games are for real. There will be a lot at stake for each team. Making the play-offs will be first and foremost on the teams minds. Anyone just going through the motions will not last long in this league. Like any other real sports, there are players that will love to take your place. Nobody really knows how these teams will finish during the regular season.

Everyone knows Van Boening is one of the top players in the world. Shane had practiced the game more than anyone at our first professional event. Yet, Francisco Bustamante learned the game in 20 min. and just crushed everybody! Shane was good and finished third but Bustamante was a wizard. We really have no idea which team is destined to win the championship. I do know this. The best focused and all-around team will rise to the top, just like it did in our amateur league. That's the nature of the beast. I love it!

I'm sure Roger Long was not sold on the game at first. After spending two days with us, not to mention playing two amazing matches against me, he could see what I already knew. This game is for real and is here to stay because it simply plays that good. Will the WPBL survive, that will depend on the market. Will the game of Bonus Ball survive, hell yes. It's simply that good! Go to www.wpbl.tv or to www.playbonusball.com to learn more about the teams, the league and the game. Enjoy!

Three amateur players playing Bonus Ball. This game is fun for all levels.

amateur.jpg

Last edited: