Brazil/Brasil Sinuca check out this wild pool game.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Does anyone know the rules? Here are a couple videos, the first is what looks to be similar to 8 ball only with 14 balls. As far as I can tell, if you hit an opponents ball into the pocket, you also remove one of their balls. Fouls where you directly hit an opponents ball and you remove 2 of their balls. I think if you hit a rail first you only remove one of their balls. I'm not really certain about the rules due to the language barrier. I really don't know much about this game, but the pockets are tighter than the hubs of hell. I read somewhere there were snooker tables but Brazil doesn't like snooker, so they added their own flavor to pool. Supposedly these tables are on every street corner so it's a popular pastime.

This is the game similar to 8 ball:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3CdEdkqFkg

The second game, 3 ball (unsure of the name). The tight pockets play a major role, so there are a lot of safeties. It's similar to Russian pool in that you almost have to compress the pockets to get a ball to drop. It appears whoever puts in the last ball wins. This video of the 3 ball game, seems more typical, lots of machismo, lots of chalk, and firing the balls hard so they compress the pockets enough to drop. Chalk literally explodes from the pockets when a shot goes. There are also a bunch of streams/videos with gambling, so I think this is mainly a gambling game, high stakes and it looks like a good spectator sport. Pretty good people watching too. This video doesn't show the safety aspect too well, but it's crazy seeing these young players just rocket these shots in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCGusLy-gAo

If you look at the other videos on the first channel, there are a lot of 3 ball matches that see a lot more safety play and many include stacks of cash on the side rail.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The strategy makes Sinuca fun to watch.

Nothing predictable with the challenge of Snooker cut pockets. Breaks more unpredictable. No Wobblies going in down the rails and even short pots aren’t a given.

These guys sure can focus and think fast on their feet.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pockets are a step in the right direction though I wish the players and MFGRS would see that the jaws screw up the pool. Might as well play without tips...

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
The strategy makes Sinuca fun to watch.

Nothing predictable with the challenge of Snooker cut pockets. Breaks more unpredictable. No Wobblies going in down the rails and even short pots aren’t a given.

These guys sure can focus and think fast on their feet.

Yeah, I'm just burned out on watching 9 ball and 10 ball. The players are so good it makes the game boring to watch. There needs to be some challenge and unpredictability. I'd rather watch a beautiful safety battle than perfect pattern play. I'm probably an oddball, but one pocket seems way more interesting to me. More strategy involved, grinding out of an impossible safety and being forced to take shots that aren't ideal. One good rotation game to watch is 61 rotation, at least that incentivizes/rewards caroms and combos.

The pockets are a step in the right direction though I wish the players and MFGRS would see that the jaws screw up the pool. Might as well play without tips...

Yep, these are a little extreme but it leads to some more interesting safety play. There has to be a middle ground. Pool just loses some of it's appeal (watching pool I mean) when the pros sink everything without ever running into trouble or randomness.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, these are a little extreme but it leads to some more interesting safety play. There has to be a middle ground. Pool just loses some of it's appeal (watching pool I mean) when the pros sink everything without ever running into trouble or randomness.

I get it. Still, prime time snooker for instance: those pockets have what; 5, 10 degree margins on shots they will take? And where's the defensive challenge when those are the only shots that pose a real threat?