Break cue/jump cue forfeit?

shooter_Hans

So those who break down their cue to jump leads to a forfeit?

If you can get disqualified for changing a shaft then what about those people that break down their break cues to jump? Some of them are the break/jump combo cues.

Hmmm…..

JPB2

No. It isn't a forfeit. Notwithstanding people who can't tell the sharking type of unscrewing vs. dealing with equipment. Or those who can't discern a difference between doing something when it is your turn at the table vs the moment the opponent starts their final stroke. Although it doesn't hurt to announce you are getting your jump stick.

TrxR

If you can get disqualified for changing a shaft then what about those people that break down their break cues to jump? Some of them are the break/jump combo cues.

Hmmm…..
What about a person raking off their extension?

You need help with your phobia of jump cues.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hmmm…..

No, it does not. The cue is designed to come apart for that during a game.

shooter_Hans

No. It isn't a forfeit. Notwithstanding people who can't tell the sharking type of unscrewing vs. dealing with equipment. Or those who can't discern a difference between doing something when it is your turn at the table vs the moment the opponent starts their final stroke. Although it doesn't hurt to announce you are getting your jump stick.
Where have you been lately?

There was a big thread about a guy changing his shaft and it wasn't a shark move. I don't think people should assume changing a shaft is a shark move. I mean is it really hard to believe there are more legitimate players changing out a shaft versus the sharks?

If I'm not mistaken the guy did notify his opponent as well.

shooter_Hans

If your not smart enough to tell the difference between me breaking a break cue down to jump and me breaking a cue down when your mid shot as a shark move I’m not interested in playing with you 🤷‍♂️
Uh...who said anyone about changing a shaft in the middle of an opponents shot?

There you go thinking again.

shooter_Hans

No, it does not. The cue is designed to come apart for that during a game.
So is a shooting cue.

BTW....I can jump a ball for those thinking I can't. I do it with my shooting cue. It's not some groundbreaking shot.

Anyways....there are people that break down their cue and jump with just a shaft. I don't like it but I've seen many do it decades ago.

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
There was a big thread about a guy changing his shaft and it wasn't a shark move.
Uh...who said anyone about changing a shaft in the middle of an opponents shot?
Anyways....there are people that break down their cue and jump with just a shaft. I don't like it but I've seen many do it decades ago.

Q: which thread are you referring to. I missed it.

I don't know if/when the rules changes, but I thought there used to be a minimum cue length. I think it still applies to amateur play but I didn't see it in the WPA rules. I've never seen a pro tournament where a ball was jumped with just a shaft, but I'd be interested in seeing it.

The issue of opponent shooting is assumed because that is what the WPA rule says (breaking down your cue when opponent is shooting in the final rack).
WPA Rule 1.11 said:
1.11 Concession ...if a player unscrews his jointed playing cue stick while the opponent is at the table and during the opponent’s decisive rack of a match , it will be considered a concession of the match.

-td

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
That is not legal, shaft alone doesn't meet the minimum length required
That's what I was thinking, but I didn't see it in the WPA rules. Do you know where that's stated for pro tourneys? I think amateur/BCA may have it, though.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's what I was thinking, but I didn't see it in the WPA rules. Do you know where that's stated for pro tourneys? I think amateur/BCA may have it, though.

Under the Equipment Spec, section 17

Cue Sticks used at WPA competitions should comply with the following
during play at table:

Length of Cue: 40 inches [1.016 m] minimum / No Maximum
Weight of Cue: No minimum / 25 oz. [708.75 gm] maximum
Width of Tip: No minimum / 14mm maximum

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you tell the referee and the opponent and get their OK's, then no forfeit is impending.

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s one of those stupid rules in pool! If a tennis player changes rackets in the middle of a game, or a golfer throws his club back in the bag to select another, or I’ve played with some who have thrown their whole bag in a lake. No forfeits there .. dumbass rule!

Flakeandrun

Q: which thread are you referring to. I missed it.

I don't know if/when the rules changes, but I thought there used to be a minimum cue length. I think it still applies to amateur play but I didn't see it in the WPA rules. I've never seen a pro tournament where a ball was jumped with just a shaft, but I'd be interested in seeing it.

The issue of opponent shooting is assumed because that is what the WPA rule says (breaking down your cue when opponent is shooting in the final rack).

-td

Was my thread. Was a very confusing and annoying day, but I'm over it. I didn't explicitly say I was changing, but it was between racks and incredibly obvious, as I had the other shaft out and ready to go. At that point, I was up in the set, and he offered a hand, which I then shook. I thought this was his concession, but when ref asked, he said he won.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So is a shooting cue.

BTW....I can jump a ball for those thinking I can't. I do it with my shooting cue. It's not some groundbreaking shot.

Not the same thing at all, it's just a pretty silly argument and bad example. No one jumps with a shaft now, decades ago yes, not since they put in some better rules. Never seen a shaft jump outside of some random pool halls, if there was a pro tournament where anyone jumped with a shaft I have not run across it yet.