Breaking from the center of the table

Yep, Shane sure makes it look effortless.

I never noticed before that his break stroke is kinda sidearm - wonder if that helps. Maybe it brings the pectoral (chest) muscle into play?

In this vid you can see that he doesn't lunge forward much, which illustrates that it's really the straightening of the arm that helps most ("big lever" action with shoulder muscles).

pj
chgo

It's the UP move. Lots of the big breakers have it...male and female. Sometimes, it's a little disguised by other motions....often pretty dramatic but AFTER CB contact.

YEARS ago I read a physiological explanation of the benefits of the up move...but I've slept since then and have forgotten.

I have a VAGUE recollection it has to do with lengthening the big muscles PRIOR TO CB contact.

But tell ya what. If everything that tastes bad is good for you and vice versa, the it is likely true that what is good to do in pool is HARD.

Just TRY Shane's UP move yourself...and watch your break to straight to Hell. I know...I tried it.

To CONTROL that move IMHO requires a level of physical coordination that most of us mortals simply are not capable of. (And a BUNCH of "fast twitch muscle fiber"...don't laugh that is a FACT...that most of us simply don't have).

Check out Hillbilly Bryant or Django back in is power break days.

(-:

EagleMan
 
It's been posted on here before that Shane perfected his break using the Break Rak. His break requires perfect timing and execution, and he perfected that by doing nothing but breaking with the Break Rak over and over for hours and hours. If I had an extra couple hundred bucks, I'd buy one myself.
 
Did you switch from briding on the rail, to bridging on the cloth?

I can't get nearly as much power unless I bridge from the rail, whether it's from the side or the middle of the back rail. Letting the cue slide through my bridge hand vs. having it just sliding on the rail costs me about 3 mph. Maybe that's what's happening to you too.
 
EagleMan:
It's the UP move.
I agree the up move is essential, but I don't think it adds power by itself. I think it allows the arm to straighten so it becomes a longer lever powered by the stronger shoulder and pectoral muscles.

pj
chgo
 
Your intelligence may be holding you back.

I mean that in good spirits.

I find it hard to believe that comment can ever be meant in "good spirits", but best of luck.

I can't wait to say to my girlfriend "you look incredibly ugly in that outfit, but I mean that in good spirits" and see what my results are. :)

I believe he did not mean a lack of intelligence, but was implying things were getting over-thought by someone very intelligent. As such, change the comment to your girlfriend to "you look amazing in that outfit, in fact, so amazing that I cannot take you out in public..."

Cheers!

Dave
 
I believe he did not mean a lack of intelligence, but was implying things were getting over-thought by someone very intelligent. As such, change the comment to your girlfriend to "you look amazing in that outfit, in fact, so amazing that I cannot take you out in public..."

Cheers!

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for that clarification

I did not even think my statement might have been taken wrong considering the context with which it was associated.

PJ is obviously not lacking in intelligence.

Sometimes an abundance of knowledge on a subject can cause doubt, especially when physical performance is involved. My point was that knowing how close one is to the miscue area when hitting a break shot high & low could inhibit the force one applies if the fear of miscuing is present. I have been hitting in that location for so long that I have no such fear & can hit a break with either high or low with the same force as if I was aiming at the center & thus my breaks of high, mid, or low hits are all of nearly equal ball pocketing & spread results. I don't even look at the cue ball when I break. I practice stroke looking at the Cue Ball & the apex ball, but my final look before the actual stroke is at the apex ball. To me, that guides my cue through the cue ball directly at the apex ball.

I hope this further clarifies my statement. I certainly was not implying that PJ is lacking in intelligence. If it was taken that way I apologize for the ambiguity. None was intended.

Dave, Thanks again,
 
Back
Top