Brunswick Allenton for home?

davelpl

My friend is an 81 yr old man who has been playing about 2 years. He'll never be a high level player, but would like to put an inexpensive pool table at his house. He is looking at the Brunswick Allenton or something in the price range. Any thoughts from the group???

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you
Wait for more answers that is just my opinion.... If he just wants to hit balls and have fun it's probably as good as any in that price range. Please be careful who sets it up and where it gets purchased from.
If you have a local pool table business nearby ...sometimes they have used tables in good condition. The tables might be a trade or from a house where it it's not being used anymore or the people moved and cannot take it.

Grimper

There are nothing wrong with Brunswick tables. Don't fall for all the "anything but a GC or a Diamond sucks" responses that you're going to get.

jkovach

I searched online and found the Brunswick Allenton, which surprising to me, looks just like my Spencer and Marston Catania Asian import, and is comparably priced. The only concern I have with my Spencer is that the slate is not continuously supported by wood underneath, which I corrected by adding MDF strips between the 2 x 6 beams and the slate-just a quirk I have. My home table is just a hobby table, which I play on every day. I am a 73 year old retiree and just enjoy shooting by myself and with my 8 year old granddaughter!

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I searched online and found the Brunswick Allenton, which surprising to me, looks just like my Spencer and Marston Catania Asian import, and is comparably priced. The only concern I have with my Spencer is that the slate is not continuously supported by wood underneath, which I corrected by adding MDF strips between the 2 x 6 beams and the slate-just a quirk I have. My home table is just a hobby table, which I play on every day. I am a 73 year old retiree and just enjoy shooting by myself and with my 8 year old granddaughter!
Welcome aboard

bpeacock

I have an 8' Allenton and I think it shoots fine. I am on it almost daily. I like the action off of the rails. I think the wood on the top is a little soft and dents easily though. I bought it new and it was not set up correctly so I had to get them to come relevel... I have had to adjust it myself a couple of times in the past three years. You have to wedge the slate in the middle and the wedges work out over time.

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are nothing wrong with Brunswick tables. Don't fall for all the "anything but a GC or a Diamond sucks" responses that you're going to get.
When I shopped for a pool table, I was surprised at how bad the lower-priced Brunswick tables were. Made in Asia, knock-down bolt-together construction just like other less-expensive brands. Crawl under the table and look at how they're built and you'll see other tables that are better for less money.