Butt pin and shaft problem

bigskyblue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I received a Lucasi “Zero Flex Slim” laminated shaft with a (5x16x18) joint thread as a retirement gift.

The female insert in the bottom of the shaft has a concave brass barrier at the end of the insert's threaded tube. This barrier prevents the joint pins of several of my (5x16x18) cue butts from screwing in solidly. There’s a very small gap space left between the shaft and the butt, when they are screwed together.

How would you go about solving this problem?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I received a Lucasi “Zero Flex Slim” laminated shaft with a (5x16x18) joint thread as a retirement gift.

The female insert in the bottom of the shaft has a concave brass barrier at the end of the insert's threaded tube. This barrier prevents the joint pins of several of my (5x16x18) cue butts from screwing in solidly. There’s a very small gap space left between the shaft and the butt, when they are screwed together.

Go to.
Will the Unique joint of my cue. Have a read.

bigskyblue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't get the connection

Thanks for your info.

I went to "Will the Unique joint of my cue" and read the article.
However, I don't feel this information applies to my situation. I have several Meucci low deflection shafts that don't have a barrier at the end of the shaft insert thread tube. They lock up firm and straight with all my (5x16x18) butts.

My first thought was to drill through the brass barrier, but I remember from junior high school shop class about there being something tricky about drilling brass.

Ironically, just two days ago, I received back a cue butt on which I had a cue maker change the pin size to (5x16x18) just so I could use the butt with this Lucasi LD shaft.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your info.

I went to "Will the Unique joint of my cue" and read the article.
However, I don't feel this information applies to my situation. I have several Meucci low deflection shafts that don't have a barrier at the end of the shaft insert thread tube. They lock up firm and straight with all my (5x16x18) butts.

My first thought was to drill through the brass barrier, but I remember from junior high school shop class about there being something tricky about drilling brass.

Ironically, just two days ago, I received back a cue butt on which I had a cue maker change the pin size to (5x16x18) just so I could use the butt with this Lucasi LD shaft.

........Awesome.......

tsp&b

Silver Member
If I understand your question correctly, It appears that you have two choices... either make the insert deeper or make the joint pin shorter. Either one is no big deal, if done properly.

rick9005

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sure sounds like a piloted 5\16 x 18 joint to me. Take to your cue builder and have it faced off.

bigskyblue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Todd,

Thank you for giving an intelligent response.

Since I have several (5/16x18) cue butts, I would think altering the shaft insert would be the better of the two choices.

Is this a simple enough job for me to take on or should I take it to a cue maker.
I might add that I have no problems with paying to have the job done.

Again, thank you for actually trying to help.

Bigskyblue

tsp&b

Silver Member
Todd,

Thank you for giving an intelligent response.

Since I have several (5/16x18) cue butts, I would think altering the shaft insert would be the better of the two choices.

Is this a simple enough job for me to take on or should I take it to a cue maker.
I might add that I have no problems with paying to have the job done.

Again, thank you for actually trying to help.

Bigskyblue

It is not a big deal. But if you would be more comfortable with having a cue maker/ cue repair person do it on a lathe, that is what I would suggest.

bigskyblue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shaft butt ptoblem solved

It is not a big deal. But if you would be more comfortable with having a cue maker/ cue repair person do it on a lathe, that is what I would suggest.

Todd,

Gleaning on the denotative meaning of your first response to my posting, (i.e.) "... if done properly", I contacted Andrew Park a well known and respected cue maker in the Southern California area. Andrew took some measurements and then placed the shaft on his lathe and quick as a wink the job was done.

I feel I got excellent service and craftsmanship for my money. Plus, I picked up some valuable insight about shot making, during our conversation.

I went to a professional and it was money well spent.

Thanks again for guiding me in the right direction.

Peace