Butterfly cases

LuckyStroke

Full Splic Addict
Silver Member
Are butterfly cases good for storing cues? I am in need of a storage case and there are several reasonably priced 4x8 butterfly cases out there. My concern is that most are a soft sided case. I would think you would want something with some rigidity if you were going to store cues standing up. Would like to hear some opinions

Ben

Skratch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are butterfly cases good for storing cues? I am in need of a storage case and there are several reasonably priced 4x8 butterfly cases out there. My concern is that most are a soft sided case. I would think you would want something with some rigidity if you were going to store cues standing up. Would like to hear some opinions

Ben

You really only need to keep mindful of heat, moisture, and heavy objects. I have a "soft" case, (2x4) but the outter cover is stiffer than the internal pockets. It will not fold over like the cheap soft 1x1s. If you're that concerned you can probably add some backing to make it even more stiffer. Heat and moisture are you're biggest enemies to wood. Heat drives out the internal moisture and this cause them to warp/crack. If the cue was properly sealed, this will be less likely to happen. I have the normal hard case when expect more abuse like at a tournament/league night, but it really isnt necessary if you keep an eye on your things. If you mean "storage" as in you dont plan to use your cues regularly, then box them up or get a display case, or put them in PVC...LOL. Honestly, cases were meant for travelling and not storage. You'll have to make some compromise for the level of protection you want for you cues. Hope this helps.

LuckyStroke

Full Splic Addict
Silver Member
My question was wether or not a 4x8 butterfly case is a good option for a storage case. I'm aware how heat and moisture affect cues. So if there is anyone who uses a butterfly case for storage/carry, I'd like to hear from you

Ben

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

Ben

Ours are semi-hard, great for storing cues.

You are right that most cheap ones are pretty soft. They are butterfly only in that they zip open all the way - but the orginal butterfly cases AVP were semi hard and we have remained true to that method and improved on it. There are three layers of padding between the outside skin and your cues and each cue is in a separate sleeve that is fully padded.

www.jbcases.com for more information.

r9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are the cues going to be moved or carried around or shown very often? Yes 4x8 cases are easier to lift and move around but I would look at a 10x10 or 12x24 dealer type hard case for long term storage it they are going to be just sitting around. Cost will probably come out about the same. You get sturdiness and protection. After 35 yrs around cues, personally, I want high dollar cues protected at all times.
I doubt if you will have any issues with 4x8 butterfly. I am sure the JB butterfly cases are excellent. I know I wouldn't have a second thought about whacking someone with my JB Rugged!
Searching in eBay billiard section for 10x10 or 12x24 should show some possibilities.
Good Luck

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My question was wether or not a 4x8 butterfly case is a good option for a storage case. I'm aware how heat and moisture affect cues. So if there is anyone who uses a butterfly case for storage/carry, I'd like to hear from you

Ben

I have a 4x8 butterfly that I keep my cues in ( 5 ). I rarely play these days so I keep them " stored " in that butterfly and keep it in the basement where it is normally cool. Never had any problems with " protection ", and as far as I'm concerned it is more than adequate protection barring some kind of freak accident such as being on the floor and getting stepped on or something like that. I've had this particular case for roughly 3 years so far and as I said have had zero problems so far. Hope this helps with your questions.