California Legislation on Ivory Ban

Walkermine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
California Gov. Brown is expected to sign new legislation further restricting the sale of ivory. The new bill is intended to close the loop on pre-ban ivory. Essentially, there will no longer be any distinction made between prior 1977 legally obtained ivory and post ban ivory. As it pertains to us, the legislation will make it illegal for anyone to sell or buy a cue having elephant or mastodon ivory in its make-up.

As I interpret it, cue makers residing in California will not be allowed to legally make or sell a cue having ivory, regardless of any documentation or affidavit which states the year in which the ivory was obtained. That also means no one residing in that state can sell or buy like cues. That will restrict all residents in California, cue makers included, to making, buying and selling cues that are ivory free.

http://www.kcet.org/news/redefine/rewild/legislation/ivory-ban-heading-to-governors-desk.html

Last edited:

flyrv9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Geez, you'd think California legislators would have more pressing issues to spend their time on.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
July 1, 2016.....

It looks like I had better to get in touch with my cue-makers to get them to advance the completion dates for my cues........there's a lot of ivory in my next two cues underway.

Meanwhile......anyone in California with a fancy Barry Szamboti or Joel Hercek pool cue with flat ivory joint, ferrules & butt......(under 19 ozs)......I'll try helping you out by taking this condemned cue off your hands..

Matt B.

p.s Will also consider Ernie G. cues.......

Last edited:

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
To all those AZers who replied "No, that would never happen." to my comment about the government overreaching and banning all ivory...

ITYS

To those who now say "But we're small potatoes. They'd never prosecute little guys like us." : Little guys are exactly who they prosecute. Two reasons 1) big guys are harder to catch and have legal resources to fight, and 2) Prosecuting little guys lets everyone know that no one is immune.

So, in advance: ITYS

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
Geez, you'd think California legislators would have more pressing issues to spend their time on.

Yeah like "we have no water here", ah well that's not really important. What's important is we slammed the door on ivory laden pool cues, yeah that should get you re elected

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see worries if you are passing cues Domestically. The 'Ivory Cops' might catch you if shipping or receiving a cue withy Ivory from out of the Country but that has been the case for sometime.

Carry on:groucho:
-Kat

PS: I live in Calif. and Jerry Brown is a clown and has always been a clown in my book.

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IIRC, California is still the progressive west and it would make sense that a state with so much influence on the rest of the country would ban ivory sales. There are no reasons to use ivory.

I'm a northern Californian boy who left when the getting was good.

Last edited:

neonlight

Registered
Very typical of CA. Roads are falling apart. Infrastructure is deteriorating and little is done to correct. I know, we lived there for 25 years but moved away 3 years ago due to the insane govt. We were in the top tax bracket. Very little in return for paying top taxes. Local and state gov. personnel will always choose to work on things that make them feel good rather than the needs of the general population. CA. lost our top tax dollars when we moved. Like many other acquaintances I know.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CA is crazy anyway, if you look at many products, they state that "it contains chemicals known to be harmful to the state of CA". So why the hell would anyone want to go to a state where products that are OK in the other 49 states magically become toxic in CA? I'm staying out of that state for sure. Not that MA is that much better, we're full of liberals also that want to give money away to anyone that shows up at the door yet will make it illegal to give your kid an Oreo for lunch snack.

I think TX is a good state to head to, it's OK to eat beef, shoot a gun and use oil in that state, and probably putting on sunscreen won't give you some odd form of cancer that only CA sees.

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very typical of CA. Roads are falling apart. Infrastructure is deteriorating and little is done to correct. I know, we lived there for 25 years but moved away 3 years ago due to the insane govt. We were in the top tax bracket. Very little in return for paying top taxes. Local and state gov. personnel will always choose to work on things that make them feel good rather than the needs of the general population. CA. lost our top tax dollars when we moved. Like many other acquaintances I know.

Top tax bracket goes to those making more than 1 million a year in California, which is 13.3% for personal taxes. Before 1955, taxes where 55% on salaries over 100k. With regards to returns on paying taxes, could you have made the same money elsewhere, ie not in California?

I know this is about ivory and the California goverment, but in reality it is about money. Money that ends up in the wrong hands from the desemation of a fellow mammal, hairy and warm blooded like us.

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nobody moves to California to save money but many hesitantly leave to do so. To me, still one of the all around most beautiful places to 'live' in USA.

Have a great day,

-Kat

Walkermine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to confess that seeing the speed at which this was drawn up and approved as well as the extent of its overreaching control still has me stunned. It has me wondering whether any bills drafted these days ever get any serious review or read at all prior to voting.

Like so many others, I too wrote letters to my representatives expressing caution in how we should address this issue. I’m also sickened by the slaughter going on in Africa but don’t believe razing the house is an answer to a kitchen in need of remodeling.

As a result, I get an email back thanking me for my interest in government and now get a steady stream of unsolicited emails letting me know about all the hard work my representative is doing for all of us lucky voters. I’m so afraid it will only get worse.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Obladi.....Oblada......Life goes on........

Say what you will about California but remember two things you can cont on moving from the west to the east.........................weather patterns and new legislation.

History attests to the fact that as California initiates new laws & regulations on issues like human rights, environmental or wildlife related matters, many other states emulate these actions so get ready.

Meanwhile, I've checked with my cue-makers and the calendar completion date for my cues is being advanced and I'll receive my cues before next summer before this new law is effective.

I've previously posted it was always my intention to only have a small cue collection and this new law pretty much says I am just about done buying cues.......I have 2 new gorgeous cue designs currently in progress with Bob & Jerry and both pool cues will be laden with ivory just like my other cues......and I am thrilled I ordered these cues now while my design cues are still legal to buy.

To think that I own cues that cannot be purchased or sold in California after June 30, 2016 only makes my cues all the more special......my intention has always been to retain my collection.......permanent keepsakes for myself & eventually my children.......so now my cues will become more rare, especially after this law spreads to other states which has been the tendency with other legislation California has enacted over the last 25 years.

In post #4, I stated I'm looking for a cue from....Barry or Joel.....it has to have an ivory joint, ferrules, veneers with inlays & preferably an ivory butt cap. and only maple forearms w/ ebony points.......If you own such a cue weighing under 19 ozs, and you live in CA, I am willing to take this horrible problem pool cue off your hands before you get stuck with a "white elephant" type pool cue you cannot sell in California.

Matt B.

p.s. "Problems are only opportunities in disguise." but as Churchill once was known to remark....."This one is very well disguised."

Last edited:

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the current Democrat climate, Brown could very well be the next nominee for President. That would get him out of your hair but would be disastrous if elected.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
IIRC, California is still the progressive west and it would make sense that a state with so much influence on the rest of the country would ban ivory sales. There are no reasons to use ivory.

I'm a northern Californian boy who left when the getting was good.

You didn't escape far enough. Heads up...the Oregon legislature passed a no ivory bill earlier this year. Has the firearms collectors in a tizzy. Even MASTADON ivory is on the list.

Nothing like a "free" country is there? "When Government expands-liberty contracts." -Ronald Reagan in his farewell address

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the current Democrat climate, Brown could very well be the next nominee for President. That would get him out of your hair but would be disastrous if elected.

I think he'd be a better president than the current crop of gems. lol autocorrect changed 'dems' to 'gems'. I'll just leave that there.

I've met the man and while I don't agree with him politically at least he is trying to do the right thing (in his opinion) and has some amount of smarts.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Brown was 10 years younger, he'd make a great President........remember Jerry & Linda back in the day.......all kidding aside, Governor Brown would be great.....he is practically minded in his approach and recognizes what needs to get accomplished.

DblGonzo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When will it be illegal to own anything with Ivory in it? If they are willing to ban the sale the next step is to ban ownership. We have states that are following in the footsteps of our Federal Government overrun with C- students and spending money they don't have. But the solution to everyones problems in the sale of Ivory. Makes total sense.