can the Williard tipping machine deal with break tips ?

erriep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi !
Is it possible to "confortably" install break tips with a Williard ? i mean, is it possible to trim the break tips to ferrule size with the trimmer blades ?

(by break tips, i think mostly to samsara, white diamond & Taom ... )

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
I doubt it. I do not believe the blades could cut the hard break tips but if I get some time, I can test it.

erriep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I doubt it. I do not believe the blades could cut the hard break tips but if I get some time, I can test it.

oh , thank you , Ryan !
I have to install more and more tips for my pool friends, but break tips are sooooo hard to install by hand that now i need a proper tool . I was looking to a williard, because it's well made and small...

HDR10

HR Custom Cues
Silver Member
I tried it on one a looooong time ago. It took forever and absolutely killed a new blade. After that I was doing them with a dremel tool with grinding wheel and tape on the ferrule..worked much better just have to be super careful!!!

tsp&b

Silver Member
I tried it on one a looooong time ago. It took forever and absolutely killed a new blade. After that I was doing them with a dremel tool with grinding wheel and tape on the ferrule..worked much better just have to be super careful!!!

So what do you use now???

tsp&b

Silver Member
Thanks Herbert! That was for the benefit of the original poster. I hope all is well with you!

HDR10

HR Custom Cues
Silver Member
Thanks Herbert! That was for the benefit of the original poster. I hope all is well with you!

No problemo Todd. I got it...lol
Well as can be I guess. Been down for 5 weeks with sciatica. Hope all is well with you and yours bud!

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi !
Is it possible to "confortably" install break tips with a Williard ? i mean, is it possible to trim the break tips to ferrule size with the trimmer blades ?

(by break tips, i think mostly to samsara, white diamond & Taom ... )
I believe that in cue repairs you need to try to save money wherever you can. But I'm always amazed when someone wants to buy a Williard tip machine today. Is it a solid build? Sure. Can you change a tip with it? Maybe, but you you will have to spend extra if you want to change an 11.75 like a Predator Z or a 14mm break shaft. Also, you can't make your own collets like you can with a lathe. You can't sand the shaft or burnish tips, sealer or wax. It is much slower than a lathe. And the difference in price is 425 (plus 30 for additional collets) versus 480 for Mid America.

The W - machine maybe a solid build, but it just isn't versatile enough for the cost. Just stocking tips can add up to the same price as the lathe itself. If it's difficult to justify $100 for a machine that does something the right way. Cue repair isn't for that frame of mind. Because the costs of the most basic tip assortment is easily that price. If you think those prices are scary, turn around and start running and never look back.

Maybe I'm missing something here. BTW, I did own a Williard back in the day. Messed up some ferrules with it too, when blades were back ordered and had to use dull blades, which are a big no no with that setup.