Carbon ferrule

joebroughton

Recently replaced the factory, cheap and soft ferrule on a carbon with a "melamine" type material. Now it has a bit of "tink" sound. Ideas on how to remedy this or prevent this in the future???

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Recently replaced the factory, cheap and soft ferrule on a carbon with a "melamine" type material. Now it has a bit of "tink" sound. Ideas on how to remedy this or prevent this in the future???
Just curious,
Why did you choose Melamine?
Did you replace the existing one completely, or turn the outside down and go over it?

Attachments

• IMG_20231024_023801.jpg
    IMG_20231024_023801.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 39

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cynergy shafts have a soft ferrule but it plays just fine.
Mike, you are correct. The shaft plays fine. The annoying tink sound drove me crazy. Over about 60 years of playing pool, I’ve found that an unusual sound made at impact usually means a cracked ferrule or a tip poorly installed. I replaced the tip and ferrule and problem solved for me.

slim123

I'm not sure how you removed the ferrule, could you have possibly cracked the cf near or below the ferrule, or is it possible the tip or the ferrule has a glue void?

A cf shaft hits stiffer, so if the material you added is quite a bit harder, you will get a tink

However, we all as human beings, perceive and process everything differently.

Food for thought.

IMO, most low-deflection shafts use a softer ferrule material and a softer tip combination. I'm not absolutely positive, but I'm thinking the softer ferrule and tip, helps to balance the stiff hit.

Have someone else shoot with it and see what their opinion is, and don't tell them anything about the tink. If they notice it, then you have a mechanical issue
If they like it it's a perception and hit you are not used too, all players find a sweet spot for what they like, until they get beat by someone that brags on new technology, screw that go with what works for you

We are all waiting for reports from your investigation, be honest with yourself and us, here, reading this
Everyone learns from good honest, information

Last edited:

tomatoshooter

By normal I meant stock ferrule. When I ordered I wasn’t given a choice of ferrule. I also made the Tomahawk ferrule about 1/4 inch longer. I can only speculate as to why the shaft made a tink sound originally
By normal i mainly meant one that slips over the shaft. How did you get the ferrule off?

Even something as simple as a little different mass might change the acoustic properties enough.

The annoying tink sound drove me crazy.
Yeah, part of the experience of the feedback, if the sound is weird it can be distracting or make you think you hit bad. I find it a bit unsettling when shooting a ball very close to the cue ball and hear the click of the balls immediately after the cue contacts the ball.

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
“By normal i mainly meant one that slips over the shaft. How did you get the ferrule off?”
I drill out as much of the ferrule as possible, then carefully use a boring bar to remove the rest. Of course, I use a lathe. I then cut down Tomahawk tubes to fit the opening in the CF shaft. This is how I make the ferrule. It’s not a very complicated process, but I would recommend taking your CF shaft to a competent repairman if you don’t own a lathe and have the proper tooling.

joebroughton

“By normal i mainly meant one that slips over the shaft. How did you get the ferrule off?”
I drill out as much of the ferrule as possible, then carefully use a boring bar to remove the rest. Of course, I use a lathe. I then cut down Tomahawk tubes to fit the opening in the CF shaft. This is how I make the ferrule. It’s not a very complicated process, but I would recommend taking your CF shaft to a competent repairman if you don’t own a lathe and have the proper tooling.
I do repairs. The Cynergy I repaired plays and sounds fine. This shaft however has a tink sound.

joebroughton

Yes I use the same procedure. Drilled out old material. Then made a new T-ferrule with melamine. From what I have gathered, melamine is too hard and solid for carbon, probably why manufacturers are using cheap junk to muffle the sound. Now just to find the material with just enough hardness not to deform, but soft enough not to "tink"... Leaning towards trying Juma or Titan

slim123

Yes I use the same procedure. Drilled out old material. Then made a new T-ferrule with melamine. From what I have gathered, melamine is too hard and solid for carbon, probably why manufacturers are using cheap junk to muffle the sound. Now just to find the material with just enough hardness not to deform, but soft enough not to "tink"... Leaning towards trying Juma or Titan
Go with Juma, you will like

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Hydex 202