Carbon Fiber Shaft Poll

Which Carbon Fiber Shaft/Manufacture do you prefer? (Select 2 if your split)

• Total voters

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Neither have I. Understanding & using squirt & deflection is a large part of the game imo.
I’ve played forever, however last few years not at all. I’m used to wood shafts, ivory ferrels and high deflection. Can’t teach a old dog new tricks is false, I’m just too lazy to learn my way around what is arguably better equipment. I’m going to start playing again, without the mindset of improving, but rather do the best I can.

best regards
Fatboy😀😀

NathanDetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the same
The Becue butt and Becue shaft, paired together, play better than any carbon shaft on any wood butt that I have tried.
I am not going to say my Becue is better than my current cf on wood butt, though it took me awhile to switch completely. It was just easier hitting some shots, especially off the rail, when playing league on a bar box.

The set still goes in the 4x8. I hit much better with the euro taper when using a bridge.

MurrayNevada

Cynergy is definitely the best
Many say that but some of them say the Tiger Sniper tip leaves much to be desired. Question for all: If you ordered this shaft and had the choice of an upgrade to a Kamui tip, which of their tips would you choose?

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've always heard the butt doesn't play as much of a role in the "Hit" of a cue other then balance point, weight, grip diameter. Here is yet ANOTHER player stating it's significant for this cue as a whole! Great info, thank you for sharing!

I find the butt changes the feel of my stroke. Balance and weight is important to me. Some people can adjust quickly. But i am slow to learn a new cue. Keeping the same weight and balance point is key for me to remain consistent.

bowiebill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many say that but some of them say the Tiger Sniper tip leaves much to be desired. Question for all: If you ordered this shaft and had the choice of an upgrade to a Kamui tip, which of their tips would you choose?
I’m a triangle guy myself, but the sniper tip is excellent. I despise kamui tips. Never miscues so much in my life.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You also diminish the ability to actually use it.
Isnt it better to -make things less complicared?
There may be a few shots not available to a low deflection shaft
that are available to a traditional shaft
but i think thats
A minority

RunEmOut08

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I voted for the Ignite as that’s the CF I use most. I like a kamui hard tip on them. It is a little too powerful of a set up on some tables.

I have been using my 314s again some at the house and I have been shooting better with them. Time will tell.

Stellar1024

Registered
I find it hard to understand the "blind faith" march to CF cues I've witnessed in my local league. I've seen SL2-SL4 players show up with $400 CF cues, and none of them understand deflection.

An SL7 tried one of these new cues purchased by a lower level player. The CF cue had as much deflection as the new owner's maple cue. He demonstrated that using a full-length shot with maximum side spin, his CF own cue deflected about 1/8 of a ball. With the lower-level's cue, the CB completely missed the OB, deflecting more than a ball's width.

DISCLAIMER: In no way am I saying any of the shafts listed in this poll exhibit significant deflection. My only point, for the bar bangers among us, is to 1) first get good enough to understand and effectively use side spin, and how cues deflect and 2) once there and considering CF shafts, test them before buying them, or at least buy a brand proven to have low deflection (assuming LD is the goal of purchasing a CF shaft).

I know for sure that given how many balls I miss without side spin, I am not ready for a CF cue. I rarely use side spin, and when I do I try to account for deflection but given my SL (5 in 9, 4 in 8), I know I won't benefit from CF, yet.
Honestly, deflection has very little to do with why I purchased a carbon shaft. In fact, I think the vast majority of all of this deflection talk by shaft manufacturers is just marketing nonsense to sell shafts. I realize deflection is real and does occur, but I think we will naturally learn to compensate either with or without a low deflection shaft - so it doesn't make much difference.

I purchased a carbon shaft because the things are nearly indestructible and I am very hard on my pool gear. I get tons of dings in my maple shafts and they just start to look ugly after a while and require a lot of maintenance. I also prefer the way that carbon glides across my bridge hand more than wood.

However, there are a couple of things I don't particularly like about carbon. First, I feel like I may aim slightly better with a lighter colored shaft, due to contrast between the light color and the darker colored felt.. (this may be completely imaginary... who knows). Also, carbon doesn't glide particularly well on metal bridges, when it's necessary to use one for whatever reason.

NathanDetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Honestly, deflection has very little to do with why I purchased a carbon shaft. In fact, I think the vast majority of all of this deflection talk by shaft manufacturers is just marketing nonsense to sell shafts. I realize deflection is real and does occur, but I think we will naturally learn to compensate either with or without a low deflection shaft - so it doesn't make much difference.

I purchased a carbon shaft because the things are nearly indestructible and I am very hard on my pool gear. I get tons of dings in my maple shafts and they just start to look ugly after a while and require a lot of maintenance. I also prefer the way that carbon glides across my bridge hand more than wood.

However, there are a couple of things I don't particularly like about carbon. First, I feel like I may aim slightly better with a lighter colored shaft, due to contrast between the light color and the darker colored felt.. (this may be completely imaginary... who knows). Also, carbon doesn't glide particularly well on metal bridges, when it's necessary to use one for whatever reason.
The bridge problem is imo the taper. CF shafts at 11.8 just don't feel right. Oddly, my Becue shafts are both 12mm, nut I can tell the difference in tapers using a bridge.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
See everyone has there opinions. I've played and tried 15 different CF shafts and feel the Cuetec is the worst on the market. My favorite is the Revo hands down. It's the shaft I keep going back too after fooling around with all the rest. Obviously there are companies and custom makers still coming out with new ones. It's all subjective and time needs to be put in with all of them. Then besides deciding which company to choose, many offer different diameters now and that's another decision.

Reactions: bbb

magnetardo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Isnt it better to -make things less complicared?
There may be a few shots not available to a low deflection shaft
that are available to a traditional shaft
but i think thats
A minority
When you need it you need it. How exactly is a carbon fiber shaft less complicated? All cues have deflection you just have to know your cue.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kamui Black Clear Soft or Med

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When you need it you need it. How exactly is a carbon fiber shaft less complicated? All cues have deflection you just have to know your cue.
Less deflection= less compensation when aiming with spin= less complicated