Carbon fiber shaft question

Gravey39

Okay so I’ve been seeing a lot of small companies and persons on Facebook selling carbon fiber shafts for in the $200-$300 range. Anyone have suggestions for one of these unknown people having any gems? I think I’m going to buy one and see how I end up liking it after shooting for awhile. I don’t wanna buy a big name shaft either. Just one of the smaller persons or small companies shaft. I’d rather support those guys then the big companies.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Okay so I’ve been seeing a lot of small companies and persons on Facebook selling carbon fiber shafts for in the $200-$300 range. Anyone have suggestions for one of these unknown people having any gems? I think I’m going to buy one and see how I end up liking it after shooting for awhile. I don’t wanna buy a big name shaft either. Just one of the smaller persons or small companies shaft. I’d rather support those guys then the big companies.
Why not buy one with a proven record. Should you not like it will at least have resale value. The no name shafts you will most likely be stuck with. I have read you can buy blanks for just a few dollars. My guess is thats what you would be getting from the no name.

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
Give one a try, but you may end up with a big name shaft in the long run, only thing I can say is you can't beat the benefits and technology of a production quality controlled shaft. I've seen some bad things happen to the to some of the " home made shafts." For example the vault plate/ferrule compressing into the carbon dowel and causing the carbon to split. Also depending on if they are foam filled Ive heard some of it has come loose and with rattle inside the shaft. If if they don't fill the shaft, then its going to most likely be extremely light weight and sound pretty vocal.

Gravey39

Give one a try, but you may end up with a big name shaft in the long run, only thing I can say is you can't beat the benefits and technology of a production quality controlled shaft. I've seen some bad things happen to the to some of the " home made shafts." For example the vault plate/ferrule compressing into the carbon dowel and causing the carbon to split. Also depending on if they are foam filled Ive heard some of it has come loose and with rattle inside the shaft. If if they don't fill the shaft, then its going to most likely be extremely light weight and sound pretty vocal.
Well I heard a lot of good things about the Midwest carbon tech ones. There’s a few guys rolling around my area that have one and they seem to really like them. The price point is at $225 too. So it’s possible. That’s why I’m looking for some experience with them too. But I’m leaning towards the Midwest.

mrpiper

Registered
For the price I have been very pleased with my J. Flowers cue from All About the Game Room on Facebook. I have not played with one of the expensive big brands so I can't compare.

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
Well I heard a lot of good things about the Midwest carbon tech ones. There’s a few guys rolling around my area that have one and they seem to really like them. The price point is at $225 too. So it’s possible. That’s why I’m looking for some experience with them too. But I’m leaning towards the Midwest.
I have one. It does not come close to the quality and finish of the big boy brands.

If if they don't fill the shaft, then its going to most likely be extremely light weight and sound pretty vocal.
Mine ony weighs 2.5oz. This really throws off the balance of the cue.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’m on my phone and I can’t copy and paste a link
But in the cue and shaft review forum
on page 2 there’s a thread on Midwest carbon technology excel shaft
read that
The excel is a good shaft for the price
See my review in the thread and a comparison to revo i use

Last edited:

terpdad

Registered
As with any product, look for one that has a 100% satisfaction guarantee or your money back.
Good advice. I have a Revo, a CF shaft made by a fellow AZB-er & a J. Flowers break cue. All are very nice. The Revo is my favorite, but I also got a fantastic deal on it. I will say the "no name" CF shaft had an issue & the seller fixed it immediately at no cost to me. It also loosens up so I need to check the joint more often than w/ the Revo or wood shaft that came w/ the cue. Whether that minor irritation is worth saving $200+ is up to the buyer.

PracticeChampion

What I've found with with alot of the privateer makers is they buy and use the cheapest blanks available. Not that there going to break or anything but the ridges down the shaft are almost rediculous.

My blanks are expensive and I lose alot of profit but there round 😂

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
I have one. It does not come close to the quality and finish of the big boy brands.

Mine ony weighs 2.5oz. This really throws off the balance of the cue.
wayyy to light, exactly what im taking about, lightest shaft id play with is 3.5oz and that's pushing the limits I like all my shafts 3.7-3.9oz for this very reason, you could always have someone fill it and then keep the front 4-6 inches hallow for more LD, much like the cynergy. Just make sure they use high density foam.

RAMIII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try GoCustoms! Was referred to the owner Goran from a friend on AZ and they are awesome shafts! I really like the Mezz ignite, but this is better quality, maybe less deflection even, and is from an independent builder. He can adjust the diameter of the shafts to fit your butt. Good luck!