carbon fiber shafts manufacturing

dendweller

Question for cueman and fisherman. When you say finished, do you mean something is applied to the shaft that seals the cf or just that it is sanded by the supplier. If it's something applied, do you know what's applied? wax or something more permanent?

Terry Aeschliman

Terry Aeschliman
Gold Member
Silver Member
To the best of my knowledge, my supplier does nothing to the surface finish of the blanks I get. I do have to use a rotary tool to square up the ends. I believe that ANY dust created while working with CF would most certainly be BAD for your health (lungs).

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To the best of my knowledge, my supplier does nothing to the surface finish of the blanks I get. I do have to use a rotary tool to square up the ends. I believe that ANY dust created while working with CF would most certainly be BAD for your health (lungs).
Cutting it wet stops free dust in the shop. You want a system so that you have no free dust or fine pieces around. Its a type of material that you just can not be too clean.

dendweller

Cutting it wet stops free dust in the shop. You want a system so that you have no free dust or fine pieces around. Its a type of material that you just can not be too clean.
I've read a lot of people saying the same, and when you pair that with others saying that they're wiping black stuff off the shaft or that the shafts are leaving black lines on their rail cloth it makes me think there's got to be a better way to use this stuff.

I really think McDermott had a good idea putting a wrap on it, unfortunately the wrap was kind of tacky so not so good for pool.

I've also seen posts saying some types of shafts are never sanded, they come off the mandrel with the finish you buy them with, don't really know if that is true or not.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've read a lot of people saying the same, and when you pair that with others saying that they're wiping black stuff off the shaft or that the shafts are leaving black lines on their rail cloth it makes me think there's got to be a better way to use this stuff.

I really think McDermott had a good idea putting a wrap on it, unfortunately the wrap was kind of tacky so not so good for pool.

I've also seen posts saying some types of shafts are never sanded, they come off the mandrel with the finish you buy them with, don't really know if that is true or not.
They don't come off mandrel ready to play. They get sanded/polished to achieve that slick finish. The one's i've hit so far left no black on hands/table. Maybe a tiny bit when you clean with eyeglass wipe. BTW, i hated the finish on the defy. and the ultra-quiet hit. least favorite of all i've tested so far.

Terry Aeschliman

Terry Aeschliman
Gold Member
Silver Member
To the best of my knowledge, the tubes I get are straight off the mandrel, not sanded, not polished, nothing applied. They are smooth, ready to fill, set ferrule, joint and play. I have not had the first complaint. (Knock on wood)

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To the best of my knowledge, the tubes I get are straight off the mandrel, not sanded, not polished, nothing applied. They are smooth, ready to fill, set ferrule, joint and play. I have not had the first complaint. (Knock on wood)
Thats very interesting. Can you please post a picture of the tubes as you receive them, with a reasonably close up pic.?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They've been sanded/polished. They don't come off mandrel in a finished state.