CARBON FIBER SHAFTS-WHICH ONE TO BUY?

zencues.com

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do pro athletes world-wide buy crap equipment? They don't, they buy and play with the best available.

Even amatures need the best they can afford to play their best.

Buy a really good cue. Take care of it and it will last a lifetime... in addition to playing your best.

Zerksies

It wouldn't surprise me if Viking is the same way as Predator on their carbon fiber shafts. Assembled in the US but the carbon tube is probably sourced elsewhere. I could be wrong, you would have to contact them and see what they tell you.
I've suspected that one company makes the tubes and sells them to all the manufacturers.

chuckpilegis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I too am getting old and wanted to try a cf shaft. I sold 3 ob classics that I was not using for 600 and bought a Jacoby Black and A Cuetec Cynergy. Stll had a couple bucks leftover. For me not much difference between wood and cf.

Cuedup

I've suspected that one company makes the tubes and sells them to all the manufacturers.
It wouldn't be surprising.

My buddy owns a pool room and I have the good fortune of being able to buy @ wholesale. When I got my CF a revo was 449 wholesale / 499 retail . The Cynergy was 249 wholesale / 399 retail.

I thought it interesting.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It wouldn't be surprising.

My buddy owns a pool room and I have the good fortune of being able to buy @ wholesale. When I got my CF a revo was 449 wholesale / 499 retail . The Cynergy was 249 wholesale / 399 retail.

I thought it interesting.

Really?? The Cynergy markup sounds about as expected. I have a hard time believing people are choosing to sell Predator with only a 10% margin, that's insanely low. Having spent time working in specialty retail I've never encountered margins that low on something. Maybe that's for very low volume accounts or something, I can't imagine Seyberts is paying $449 for them.

DieselDevilDawg

I too am getting old and wanted to try a cf shaft. I sold 3 ob classics that I was not using for 600 and bought a Jacoby Black and A Cuetec Cynergy. Stll had a couple bucks leftover. For me not much difference between wood and cf.
That's good info, thank you. I'll probably end up with a good low-deflection maple....

Cuedup

Really?? The Cynergy markup sounds about as expected. I have a hard time believing people are choosing to sell Predator with only a 10% margin, that's insanely low. Having spent time working in specialty retail I've never encountered margins that low on something. Maybe that's for very low volume accounts or something, I can't imagine Seyberts is paying $449 for them.
II pulled out my 2020 catalog/pricing guide to refresh my memory and apologize for my previous error.

Revo 424.15 WS and 499 retail.
Cynergy 269.40 WS and 449 retail.

I don't believe it has to do with his volume since it's a published catalog w/pricelist.

Zerksies

I'm an systems admin for a retail supplier so i see alot of stuff like this daily. Seyberts is the #1 dealer. I would expect them to probably get a better discount. But i would also assume that Seyberts is also getting some type of rebate at the end of the year. On average my company gets about 10% on all purchases from the manufacturers. So that extra $8m a year is probably kind of nice for my company.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So which one's the best guys? Or are they all pretty similar?
CF shafts have been out about 8yrs and have been covered a ton on AZ. If you do a search you'll find pages of info. Short version? They are all pretty similar but all different. Sizes,tapers,prices,etc. Buy a Rhino at 169 to try one out. A bunch of us have done so and really like them. Great shaft for the $.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
ive never been able to settle on one shaft or cue
never found one shaft that made get rid of everything else
i feel like i learn a little something from each shaft i use if i use it for a long enough time
im all over the place in terms of the tip size also, ill go from 11.5 to 13mm and in between
cf , wood

trueblu8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ive never been able to settle on one shaft or cue
never found one shaft that made get rid of everything else
i feel like i learn a little something from each shaft i use if i use it for a long enough time
im all over the place in terms of the tip size also, ill go from 11.5 to 13mm and in between
cf , wood
I like the pro taper from 12.75 mm to 13 mm and medium to soft tips.

skiergd011013

So which one's the best guys? Or are they all pretty similar?
i went with the pechauer rogue. When i was researching, i kept reading that some of the others, like the revo, can have a metallic "ping" sound and feel, and that the rogues hit feels just like wood. On the mcdermott defy, i do not like the pattern on the shaft. It is too flashy, and would catch my eye during stroking. I have been very happy with my rogue. It doesnt feel much different than my old mcdermott g-core, and i played well with it right out of the box. There was no learning curve for me switching to cf from wood, like i have read about. Quite the opposite, actually. Now, if i try my old wood shaft, it feels alien to me. I also did not go with the revo, simply because everyone and their mother has one (to which the argument can be made that its for a reason.) But, I love the rogue and would highly recommend it.

Last edited:

trueblu8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CF shafts have been out about 8yrs and have been covered a ton on AZ. If you do a search you'll find pages of info. Short version? They are all pretty similar but all different. Sizes,tapers,prices,etc. Buy a Rhino at 169 to try one out. A bunch of us have done so and really like them. Great shaft for the $.
I was about to buy one of those rhino shafts until that old saying popped in my head, you get what pay for. And I saw Daniel Le's review.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
see all the reviews of users here

not many claiming anything broken

I was about to buy one of those rhino shafts until that old saying popped in my head, you get what pay for. And I saw Daniel Le's review.

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
Coming from custom-maker maple shafts, then to Predator 314s and z2, then OBs, I give my current player, a Cuetec Cynergy 12.5 CF, a 10/10.

I bought a Rhino 12.5 CF as a backup, and give it a 9/10. The only noticeable difference compared to the Cuetec is that it’s not quite as smooth, so it makes slightly more noise going over or through my bridge.