Carpet for gold crown?

Hinekanman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im installing a subfloor in my basement. (dricore if you guys have heard of it.) I want to do carpet but dont want to put it on just carpet. Does anyone have an idea of what I can do. I have a friend who put tile under his. Installed the tile to concrete floor and carpet to concrete floor. Im not taking that chance, Any help or ideas appreciated.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not use commercial grade carpet tiles? They aren't plush like residential carpet so they do not compress and they are rubber backed for added foot comfort.

Hinekanman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Install the sub floor.
Install carpet.
Install table.
Done!
Check this topic for a way to not compress the carpet with the table legs. https://forums.azbilliards.com/threads/heres-a-question-for-you-guys.132359/
thank you on that. I read on one of my searches he has a technique.
Why not use commercial grade carpet tiles? They aren't plush like residential carpet so they do not compress and they are rubber backed for added foot comfort.
I can use whatever. The room is more for the pool table, thats all I really care about .
You don't want to put the table on carpet?
and I was just worried about putting a table on carpet and having to have it leveled again after it settles.. Its what ive read about in my research.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thank you on that. I read on one of my searches he has a technique.

I can use whatever. The room is more for the pool table, thats all I really care about .

and I was just worried about putting a table on carpet and having to have it leveled again after it settles.. Its what ive read about in my research.
I'd go with commercial carpet tiles. You don't have to worry about table settle and an added bonus is if one of the tiles gets stained, you can remove and replace. There are many varieties to choose from. I went with the least expensive: remnant tiles from Home Depot. A room in in CA used this look and I liked it.

49725546583_f658784cff_b.jpg

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
I was just worried about putting a table on carpet and having to have it leveled again after it settles.. Its what ive read about in my research.
I've always assumed that the carpet will compress equally under all 4 legs, and that was not a real issue. Maybe if the frame was not properly set up, it could have more weight on one leg than the others? Doesn't make much sense though.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Indoor outdoor carpet with no pad glued to the slab works great. Padded carpet sucks to play on anyways. Too much work to walk on it after 5 hours.

Every couple years it’s easy to pull the old carpet out prep the floor and new carpet comes in. Easy peasy. Also no echo, balls off the table don’t get banged up. Feet don’t slip when your stretched out reaching for a shot.

dream clean coupe times a year because the carpet will hold the chalk dust. The water comes out kinda blue if you let it go too long.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another good move is to put 60” of carpet on the walls too. Then there’s no echo at all. Will sound like a pool table in a 5000sq ft pool room. And with 60” you can lean cues(not recommended) on the wall as they will not slide like a hard wall or the bridge(better idea)

main reason is sound. And it looks ok too. I use dark burgundy for both. Usually change out the floor and leave the walls alone as it never wears. I shampoo them as the dust accumulated there’s well. Some sort of wood paneling above the carpet to the lid which s should be matte black. Then you have a proper pool room. Not a “home room” but a more commercial feel to it-for serious pool. If that’s what your going for that’s the plan.

if your going for a pretty man cave then this isn’t the plan. But the carpet is always a the plan. There’s also 24”x24” indoor out door carpet squares you can use and replace as needed without having to take the table out when you need to change the carpet.

feel free to ask me questions. Ive built out plenty of rooms. I’m not a mechanic but I know how to do rooms that feel right and play good.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe a nice vinyl plank, with a oversized rug under the table. There is places on the internet with great prices on really nice looking rugs. Vinyl would look similar to Logicals photos, only with an accent rug under the table. As to a table settling when on carpet, if you have a table with adjustable feet, the table slates should stay in alignment, you would just need to adjust a leg or two. Dricore looks like some nice stuff, I guess I'm spoiled though with where I have my table as we have infloor heat. Walk around in socks summer and winter.

Hinekanman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe a nice vinyl plank, with a oversized rug under the table. There is places on the internet with great prices on really nice looking rugs. Vinyl would look similar to Logicals photos, only with an accent rug under the table. As to a table settling when on carpet, if you have a table with adjustable feet, the table slates should stay in alignment, you would just need to adjust a leg or two. Dricore looks like some nice stuff, I guess I'm spoiled though with where I have my table as we have infloor heat. Walk around in socks summer and winter.
That is a good point. it does have adjustable feet. Thanks for your input.

Timkrieger

Don't sleep on black rubber gym mats for a billiard room! I went with "horse stall mats" you can get them at Tractor Supply or any number of places for under $50 per mat, I think 4x8. Mine are an inch thick and no settling or other problems that effect the table staying level. They look clean, black seamless floor and they are easy to keep clean. Also, easy on your knees and feet and just in my experience, from having done carpet many times, much better. Just something to consider.
home gym 2.jpg

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you plan on playing long sessions, softer floors are way easier on the feet.
To a point. Soft floors can cause back issues more than 'firm' ones. I like a good commercial grade firm carpet. Really need good shoes. I see people playing in flip-flops/sandals and i don't know how they do it for any length of time.

Timkrieger

Whenever I hear basement, garage, any location that could have potential moisture or dampness, carpet can be challenging with mildew and smell. Once you get moisture, just seems to get worse over time with carpet. The carpet tiles might be best of both worlds, I believe the backing is rubber on some of those carpet tiles which provides a nice barrier against moisture; carpet padding that gets moisture is the worst. Here's another picture of my billiard room flooring solution, the gym flooring, hard 1" thick horse stall mats. My 10 foot Brunswick Centennial weighs close to 2,000 lbs and no issue, no settling.

Picture 4.jpg