Cell Phone etiquette

longhair

Boyd Porter-Reynolds
Silver Member
We all know (I hope) about basic rules of etiquette around pool tables, but here is a fairly new one. Am I obligated to turn my phone off when I am gambling? Can I take a quik call? Can I expect my opponent not to do these things? What do you think?

Bluewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
longhair said:
We all know (I hope) about basic rules of etiquette around pool tables, but here is a fairly new one. Am I obligated to turn my phone off when I am gambling? Can I take a quik call? Can I expect my opponent not to do these things? What do you think?

In my opinion, if you are playing an opponent, and the phone rings while he or she is shooting, this could be perceived in the same way as doing other distracting things while the other person is shooting. While not intentional, i think cell phones should be turned off during competition.

I have been in league play before and found the constant ringing of these phones and conversations on them during the matches, quite irritating.

JMHO

Laura

poolplayer1988

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cell Phone Etiquette

Let me tell you what happened to me. I was playing a guy who was pretty tough. He was someone I looked up to as an older player and a kind-of teacher of mine, but on this day I was giving him fits because I was the teacher. He works at a mobile home sales dealership close by the pool room where we play. We're playing, his cell phone rings, he steps outside. Okay. A few minutes later after him not returning, I walk to the door. He has left the building to go to work. His cue, case, drink, and all are left back at the table. So, as a friend, I hang around a watch his stuff. He comes back about a half hour later, picks up his cue and starts shooting again. By this time, my game is as cold as an Eskimo's butt, and I can't make squat. I quit after two games. He doesn't understand why. Cell phones suck in a pool room unless you're on call for some serious personal reason. JMO!

Doug

kokopuffs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played in a tournament against someone who worked as a dispatcher for a towing company. By answering his calls during the tournament, the competition was protracted by 3 hours - highly unfair to the competitors who were awaiting their turn at the table, don't you think?

Last edited:
J

JJHolmquist

I think its pretty rude... I know when I am shooting well for my skill, and I somehow turn the cueball over to my opponent, I am just dying waiting for my turn again. Maybe I am unique in this, but I sorta doubt it. Im usually pretty cool when it comes to being patient, but if you are going to pretend to be serious about the game, then take your game seriously. The middle of a match is NOT the time for a phone call, unless it is absolutely neccessary that you take it. Unless your wifes having a baby, you have a million dollars worth of stock to sell before it drops to the worth of a Cuetec cue, or the local missile silo needs launch codes, silence your phone.

Guess thats my opinion though, probably better to ask your fellow players, their opinion is really all thats important for you.

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
Gambling is entirely different when it comes to cell phones. IMO they should be turned off while the game is ON.

During a break, OK..but during the match.. OFF. Otherwise I would consider it just bad manners and/or sharking.

During a tournament, if your cell phone goes off (rings) it will cost you a game.

jer9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cell phones...my peeve.

Get this: Playing this guy in a tourney. He gets a call while he's shooting, and takes it. We continue when he's done. He gets a second call, and takes it AGAIN. I decide to take this opportunity to take a leak and cool my head. When I return, I see that he ended his call and continued shooting! Wow. I was pissed. Turns out I play better when mad, and won. Ha ha ha. My mistake for leaving while it was his inning? Maybe.

I know of one guy in particular who takes calls during matches, on purpose. He gets someone to page him on the loudspeaker, during his match. Its a ploy.

You can't ban all ploys. Just get wise to them and turn them around on the pricks.

longhair

Boyd Porter-Reynolds
Silver Member
Tom In Cincy said:
During a tournament, if your cell phone goes off (rings) it will cost you a game.
I like this idea a lot, even for gambling. What about actually taking a call? loss of set?

Some of the stories you guys are telling are amazing! Pool players have a reputation for being jerks; this thread helps to illustrate why.

Cardinal_Syn

Julz
Silver Member
If it was a big tournament then it should be no cell allowed but a small local tourny i could care less. When i'm shooting and the phone rings i just tell emm i'll call em back i'm playing a match right now. Then i say sorry to my opponent. I leave it on just in case some emergency comes up and i would have to go somewhere and forfeit that tournament.

K

knudsenjj

I look at it like this. Shooting pool is like having sex. What would your ol' Lady do if you were in mid stride and your phone rang and you stopped to answer it? Hell, I know I would be pullin couch duty for atleast a week. In my game the ringer is turned off from the time I start shooting until I feel like checking my mesages. Period. And I guess I just expect the favor to be returned by my opponent.
J J

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can vouch for Tom

That's just one of the reasons you run such good tournaments Tom. Too bad all TD's don't follow your exemplary standards! :)

Tom In Cincy said:
Gambling is entirely different when it comes to cell phones. IMO they should be turned off while the game is ON.

During a break, OK..but during the match.. OFF. Otherwise I would consider it just bad manners and/or sharking.

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
Rickw said:
That's just one of the reasons you run such good tournaments Tom. Too bad all TD's don't follow your exemplary standards! :)

Thanks Rick, but I have to admit, this is not my rule, I just enforce it.

The players (regular tournament entrants) voted for the rule and the penalty. As far as I know, most CA rooms have some sort of penalty if a 'cell phone' goes OFF during the match.

I always mention this rule (as well as other important details of the tournament) prior to calling out the table assignments and matchups.

Just another indication that the West Coast players are "ahead of the times" once again.

Last edited:

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tom

I think the key word in your post below is "enforce". I just wish I wasn't so busy at work right now or I'd come over and play more often in your tournaments. Every time I've played, I've enjoyed them and that's primarily because of the fair way you run the tournaments. Thank you! :)

Tom In Cincy said:
Thanks Rick, but I have to admit, this is not my rule, I just enforce it.

The players (regular tournament entrants) voted for the rule and the penalty. As far as I know, most CA rooms have some sort of penalty if a 'cell phone' goes OFF during the match.

I always mention this rule (as well as other important details of the tournament) prior to calling out the table assignments and matchups.

Just another indication that the West Coast players are "ahead of the times" once again.

take charge of the situation, tell the guy, take another call and i quit, so turn the friggin thing off, this is not your office, this is a pool hall turkey.
2nd, before any match for anything insist on a one minute shot clock if he goes over it cue ball in hand. Every call he gets he loses a game do to giving you the ball, soon he will turn it off.

pooljunkie73

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think talking on your phone during a match is one of the most annoying things players do. During a tournament you should be warned the first time, if it ever happens again you should be disqualified.

Kent Mc.

striker_3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jerry Brice said:
take charge of the situation, tell the guy, take another call and i quit, so turn the friggin thing off, this is not your office, this is a pool hall turkey.
2nd, before any match for anything insist on a one minute shot clock if he goes over it cue ball in hand. Every call he gets he loses a game do to giving you the ball, soon he will turn it off.

Can you truely enforce a shot clock without a ref, like in a local tourny or money games?

I cut the ringer off on my cell phone, and occasionally look at my caller ID. That way, nobody is disturbed and you know who to call back later.

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
striker_3 said:
Can you truely enforce a shot clock without a ref, like in a local tourny or money games?

I cut the ringer off on my cell phone, and occasionally look at my caller ID. That way, nobody is disturbed and you know who to call back later.

Are people just so immensely stupid/ignorant/idiotic that they don't know how to put their mobile to a silent mode !?!? I always do that because I might get an important call but I don't want to disturb my opponent or other players. I always get so annoyed with people who have their mobiles ringing in tournaments/movie theaters etc ! Wanted to walk to them and shove that mobile up...

In pro snooker tournaments, the spectators are being thrown out if their mobile rings during a match.

I think that's a good proposition that you lose a rack if your mobile makes any kind of noise during a match...

Mikko - pro mobiles, against stupid users

R

runneeschitz

jer9ball said:
Cell phones...my peeve.

Get this: Playing this guy in a tourney. He gets a call while he's shooting, and takes it. We continue when he's done. He gets a second call, and takes it AGAIN. I decide to take this opportunity to take a leak and cool my head. When I return, I see that he ended his call and continued shooting! Wow. I was pissed. Turns out I play better when mad, and won. Ha ha ha. My mistake for leaving while it was his inning? Maybe.

I know of one guy in particular who takes calls during matches, on purpose. He gets someone to page him on the loudspeaker, during his match. Its a ploy.

You can't ban all ploys. Just get wise to them and turn them around on the pricks.

You wouldn't be talking about someone name Greg would you? I once played this guy in the semi-finals and he did that to me twice. Once in the middle of my turn. I didn't let it bother me though, he lost 7-0.

stick8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cell phones

I was at the last camel tour tourny in mr cues 2 in atlanta , watching bustmonty ? play archer. well busty was down in stroke and yes a cell phone went off in the section close by, yes he missed . and if looks can kill lo lo !!!! he was upset. dont bring them to a event .most of the time some guy wont to bull shit.dont have one dont want one. OLD MAN STICK :

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
longhair said:
... Pool players have a reputation for being jerks; this thread helps to illustrate why.

Let's face it, no all pool players rank among the brighter bulbs on the Christmas tree. Of course, everyone posting here does :)