Certified Instructor Qualifications and Vetting

dquarasr

Registered
(Not sure if this is the right place to post this. . . .)

What are the qualifications, testing, and process to become a "certified" instructor?

What sanctioning body/bodies designate an instructor as certified (USA frame of reference)?

Thanks in advance for the info.

(I'm asking not as a prospective instructor (oh, god, no!! :)) but as an interested potential student.)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You can find the current PBIA requirements for the various levels of instructor certification here:

The PBIA is the rebranded BCA instructor program that had to change its name at the time the BCA sold its leagues. I think the ACS also maintains an instructor certification program but don't know a lot about it.

A list of certified instructors is also on the PBIA website.

Bob Jewett
Chairman, PBIA Instructors Committee

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
you can find some info on ACS here

dquarasr

Registered
You can find the current PBIA requirements for the various levels of instructor certification here:

The PBIA is the rebranded BCA instructor program that had to change its name at the time the BCA sold its leagues. I think the ACS also maintains an instructor certification program but don't know a lot about it.

A list of certified instructors is also on the PBIA website.

Bob Jewett
Chairman, PBIA Instructors Committee
Very informative page, thanks Bob!

Hmm, with some work, I think I may actually qualify as an entry level instructor, in spite of not being able to execute as well as I understand the game. I have taught college-level computer classes, and have instructed road race track driving at High Performance Driver Education events (120 track days, about 500 hours) sitting in the right seat of students' sports cars with helmet-to-helmet communications. It helps to be a good communicator when ham-fisted technique by the student can get you killed.

I'll keep this in mind as I progress. I figure instructing others can solidify one's own game, especially if one aspires to higher levels of instructor.

Thanks very much, most appreciated.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
i saw that too
R.I.P Scott
i took 2 lessons from him
he loved what he did and helped thousands of players
I saw a lot of Scott over the years - even took a lesson or two from him (good stuff). His mother lived just a few blocks from my home pool room, so whenever he passed through Chicago (pretty often in his constant travels) we'd play a few. My only complaint was that he was such a dedicated instructor he couldn't just play - always instructing. Maybe his way of giving me a bonus - I probably needed it.

Thanks for everything, Scott. Miss ya.

pj
chgo

Last edited: